Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 1:30 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Do you think we will ever know what causes Homosexuality
Do you think we will ever know what causes Homosexuality
As a gay guy who is into Psychology I always wonder if we will ever find out what is going on in our minds that define what we are attracted to.

I hope one day we will, but sometimes I hope we don't in-case it drives some people to try and find a "cure" for us
[Image: pride___lgbt_signature_by_valkyriye-d65q6tr.png]
RE: Do you think we will ever know what causes Homosexuality
Actually, we don't even know the cause of heterosexuality, or any sexuality.
(December 29, 2013 at 4:01 pm)Chuck Wrote: Actually, we don't even know the cause of heterosexuality, or any sexuality.

Nature

/thread
(December 29, 2013 at 4:11 pm)wolf39us Wrote:
(December 29, 2013 at 4:01 pm)Chuck Wrote: Actually, we don't even know the cause of heterosexuality, or any sexuality.

Nature

/thread

The explanatory power of that is in the same league as "god"

It's true we don't know what causes sexual dimorphism and related phenomenon associated with it, but we have some good theories about the split between homosexuality and heterosexuality. Heterosexuality is favored and retained because it has a high propensity to result in procreation. Homosexuality is theorized to be a result of desirable epigenetic effects being transmitted such that heterosexual individuals pass on the trait because it benefits them to have those genes, and homosexuals simply inherit the epigenetic factors that were preserved by their heterosexual ancestors. As to the proximal cause, what specific formal causes result in the expression of a homosexual sexual orientation, a lot of that is unknown, but the general outlook appears indisputable. Like most traits, certain combinations of genetic, epigenetic, and environmental or developmental factors combine to result in the orientation. For example, there has been some work that suggests certain structural aspects of the brain are different in homosexuals and heterosexuals. Also, it is known that, the later in the birth order the child is, the more likely the child will develop a homosexual orientation. For male children, the theorized mechanism is that during pregnancy with a male child, the woman's body sees the high levels of male hormones in the blood as a result of the developing fetus as an immunological threat, and responds by developing ways to mute the male hormones. Therefore, the more male pregnancies a woman has, the better her body becomes at suppressing male hormones, resulting in a less "male friendly" blood environment for later male fetuses, causing unexpected feminization. There are likely other causes, but this hypothesis shows how the complicated interplay of genes and environment can result in unexpected developmental results, including specific sexual orientations. (Chuck's point becomes very salient when we ask what is the formal cause of heterosexual orientations? We have some ideas as to why the trait is preserved, but not how the trait works, instrumentally, nor what specific developmental factors result in its expression.)

[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
I'll go out on a limb and say "bitchy women."

But I could be wrong.
(December 29, 2013 at 4:12 pm)Chuck Wrote:
(December 29, 2013 at 4:11 pm)wolf39us Wrote: Nature

/thread

The explanatory power of that is in the same league as "god"

it was a joke
Quote:Do you think we will ever know what causes Homosexuality?

Erm....really cute guys?

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(December 29, 2013 at 4:24 pm)Minimalist Wrote: I'll go out on a limb and say "bitchy women."

But I could be wrong.

There have been times...
"Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength, I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken."
Sith code
Yes. Read
Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Sexism - homosexuality Azu 67 9128 November 23, 2017 at 7:17 am
Last Post: notimportant1234
  Homosexuality paulpablo 63 7647 February 19, 2016 at 9:18 pm
Last Post: J a c k
  Mobile phone in pocket causes lower sperm count ignoramus 47 5818 November 30, 2015 at 11:34 pm
Last Post: KUSA
  Do you think we could/will ever have two dominant[prime] species? Heat 11 3316 November 21, 2015 at 9:12 pm
Last Post: ignoramus
  bacon causes cancer! WHO! ignoramus 65 14512 November 2, 2015 at 8:00 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Do you think there is a 'shadow biosphere'? ReptilianPeon 23 7392 July 30, 2015 at 11:18 am
Last Post: Alex K
  What do you think about Eugenics? Twisted 47 7668 June 19, 2015 at 7:13 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  What do you think of GMO's? TaraJo 72 8114 January 4, 2015 at 2:09 pm
Last Post: CapnAwesome
  The evolutionary puzzle of homosexuality downbeatplumb 1 1488 February 18, 2014 at 3:04 pm
Last Post: Jacob(smooth)
  Have you ever actually gone to "Answers in Genesis.com?" Boris Karloff 13 3210 February 9, 2014 at 4:41 pm
Last Post: Rampant.A.I.