Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 1:03 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What do you think about Eugenics?
I was thinking that according to evolution eugenics might not be a wrong thing to do but I've always been against it,i think that every human is unique and has his own place in this world so its a wrong practice
“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.”
― Voltaire
RE: What do you think about Eugenics?
When looking at an idea, look at it's practice to see if it's right or wrong.

The most prominent extreme practice of Eugenics would be the Nazis, leaving millions of dead bodies. The lesser extreme was the American line of thinking, which was more humane insofar as it didn't go on a killing spree but discriminatory and humiliating nonetheless.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]
Eugenics is unavoidable unless you choose your mate solely randomly.
Well the biggest problem is who would make the decision. It's one of those topics you could make an argument for but whatever body made that decision would have absolute power over the development of the human race and absolute power corrupts absolutely even if the intent was originally benign.
I think "according to evolution" is a weird/inaccurate way to frame the issue. Evolution doesn't really say what is "right" or "wrong." Now, of course, I get what you're saying - a species' survival might be benefited by becoming aware of what selectors exist and trying to optimize longevity/reproductivity/etc within that framework - but that's a different issue than the one you juxtapose it with, namely, being "for" or "against" it.
How will we know, when the morning comes, we are still human? - 2D

Don't worry, my friend.  If this be the end, then so shall it be.
The problem with eugenics is that it assumes genetics can solely make humans perfect.
Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you

Actually, eugenics doesn't say anything about perfection. It only seeks to increase the strength and incidence of what is considered desirable genetic traits by those making the selection.
I like the Star Trek version of Eugenics.
(May 29, 2015 at 1:27 pm)KUSA Wrote: I like the Star Trek version of Eugenics.

In that all the female members of the crew appear genetically bikini-worthy, I agree. 
I realize this isn't really eugenics, but I'm all for people being restricted to one or 2 children per couple, and forced sterilization after that.
Yep, I said that.
And normally I'm very egalitarian, but FFS, every time I see a family with 5 kids I want to cry. We will kill ourselves and and a lot of other species if we don't get a grip.

I think a side effect of forced population control would be a sort of natural eugenics, because the pool from which to breed would shrink, ala Enders Game. (Yes, I reference a lot of sci fi, but this is a genre which often deals with the possible outcomes of eugenics, so I think it's valid to reference)

Also, when it comes to the Gattica style eugenics, like people chosing the genetic traits of their kids, I'm all for that. I know Gattica portrayed the downside of that, but I think if I had the ability to take out the breast cancer gene, the artritic gene, the heart desease gene, (I know they aren't genes but alells, but you get my point), I would do that. If people also get to pick hair color and eye color....well that gets a bit fuzzier, but as someone said already, we do that by being free to pick a mate.
I'm green eyed and blonde. I have a thing for blonde haired, blue eyed guys who look like Orlando Bloom, I can't help it. (Also Asian guys, but I never got to date one, so that option seemed less likely).
So I married an irishman with very pale hair and a willowy build. Our child has, surprise surprise, very pale hair, blue eyes and a willowy build. Isn't that already a kind of eugenics?

I think KILLING people is a poor way to go about eugenics, but I'm on the fence leaning toward the rest of it being ok, and maybe even a good idea. Does that make me a monster?
“Eternity is a terrible thought. I mean, where's it going to end?” 
― Tom StoppardRosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Editing the "germ line" with CRISPR AKA "eugenics" Duty 9 1075 March 26, 2020 at 3:00 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  We must de-stigmatize eugenics Alexmahone 62 5908 August 17, 2018 at 5:29 pm
Last Post: Joods
  Eugenics/Designer-babies... is the concept really that bad? Aoi Magi 112 11566 August 16, 2017 at 6:13 pm
Last Post: Mermaid
  Do you think we could/will ever have two dominant[prime] species? Heat 11 3315 November 21, 2015 at 9:12 pm
Last Post: ignoramus
  Do you think there is a 'shadow biosphere'? ReptilianPeon 23 7392 July 30, 2015 at 11:18 am
Last Post: Alex K
  What do you think of GMO's? TaraJo 72 8113 January 4, 2015 at 2:09 pm
Last Post: CapnAwesome
  Do you think we will ever know what causes Homosexuality pop_punks_not_dead 45 12606 February 8, 2014 at 11:48 pm
Last Post: là bạn điên
  Eugenics EgoRaptor 18 3194 January 29, 2014 at 10:45 am
Last Post: houseofcantor