Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 6:03 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A Mystic Friend
A Mystic Friend
A close friend of mine, claims he is a mystic. He claims that GOD speaks to him, and many of his writings are based on such conversations. I have known him for over a decade and have seen this person transform from a lively (normal) young person to a monk, who enjoys solitude, is celibate and spents a lot of time in prayers. He does not comply to any existing religion , but is trying to express himself through a fusion of multiple religious practices and beliefs ( I find it so)
This person has always been the so called spiritual person, an interest for monk hood and spirituality was always expressed by him. A few years back as I now understand he went through some kind of an existential crisis( career setback, relationship issues etc), after which he just vanished for a long time and came back in this new avatar.
Being a friend I have always been in touch with him, and he always listens and calms me down when stressed out. A few months back once when he was visiting my house he started talking about future lives(was referring to some behavior of mine, and how i will have to pay for it in another life). During the same visit he also felt the presence of some energy in my house. Another friend also told me that he claimed to have seen a ghost at his house.This irritated me a lot, and since then been at loggerheads with him. I felt that he was being manipulative and could not believe that someone was doing it to me first hand. At a later point he mentioned to me that he could not explain his powers, other than it being the mere grace and will of god. I argued back saying whatever he talked or wrote was mere common sense, and if he is really talking to GOD, please come out with something really deep and profound that no human ever knew.Never asked him what his other powers were!
Could anyone explain why my friend believes and behaves the way he does? I feel he is addicted to a world of illusion. Is this a medical condition? I can understand a person being religious, but my friend is being more than that.
Just to add and not quite a surprise, he has a few followers who totally adore him and believe in his supernatural claims.
Lets look at GOD as Rightful Action,Positive thinking, Living the moment, Compassion, Love, Nature, Family, Friends and all life around us. Such a GOD is not supernatural, but is as real as the feeling of being alive.
RE: A Mystic Friend
depression does lead to craziness. Plus no career works well with an adoring group of followers.
Quote:To know yet to think that one does not know is best; Not to know yet to think that one knows will lead to difficulty.
- Lau Tzu

Join me on atheistforums Slack Cool Shades (pester tibs via pm if you need invite) Tongue

Sounds like he's nuts.
Your buddy got into the dark side.
He is not intentionally manipulating you.
He is being manipulated- no different than the gurus of India.
Same game different day.

I think you have them sussed. The confirmation that friends are giving is worrying. If you can, say what you think. You'll be doing them a favour.
He has now become a fundamentalist. For him to not be able to explain these things to you, should be more than enough evidence for you to not take him seriously. The energies that he feels is probably bad electrical wiring leaking electromagnetic radiation. But if god really is talking to him and im not saying this in a mean way, but he could be experiencing schizophrenia.
If we are not addicted to the world of delusion, then we are addicted to the material world that we call real. Your friend is just seeing all from a different level than you, I am much like your friend, but I don't label myself or call myself a mystic. I think we all should simply except what others are, we are always trying to pull others into our own prison, we believe their dumb for believing such things that we don't understand, if we don't understand it, then it must be wrong or stupid. I think we all should take a look at ourselves first before judging others.
It seems all too easy and common for people to adopt strange beliefs, and your friend certainly sounds like he was predisposed to find woo from an early age. Bias confirmed. If you care about him, keep leveling with him. You don't have to be chauvinistic about your beliefs to call him for being a dick about his own.
(October 18, 2014 at 8:17 pm)professor Wrote: Your buddy got into the dark side.
Same game different day.

What does mean that he is manipulated?

I feel most religions in the world today have there foundations on someone talking to someone on similar grounds. Take Moses, Jesus (did he?), Mohamed all of them had conversations with the divine and ended up preaching common sense of the then era, as the word of GOD

(October 18, 2014 at 10:30 pm)psychoslice Wrote: If we are not addicted to the world of delusion, then we are addicted to the material world that we call real. Your friend is just seeing all from a different level than you, I am much like your friend, but I don't label myself or call myself a mystic. I think we all should simply except what others are, we are always trying to pull others into our own prison, we believe their dumb for believing such things that we don't understand, if we don't understand it, then it must be wrong or stupid. I think we all should take a look at ourselves first before judging others.

The problem with the other reality is that there is no tangible proof provided that it exists. When you can't furnish any proofs,I feel its better to look inward and ask yourself first "Do I have a problem ?", than to preach or claim the supernatural. Fiction can be even more imaginative. The question is not about understanding, but the right understanding, my blood rushes when I see my friend and many others along with him spent loads of time simply praying(you are great, you are awesome, you are everything ), making this the sole point of their life, leaving careers , family , freinds etc,where in that time could be better spent on other stuff, may actively help the community.
Also why does GOD speak so differently to all these people? Each of these people like my friend, have their own version of what god is and what true god given knowledge is. When I think like that, I tend to infer that such thoughts are mere projections of that person's mind.
Lets look at GOD as Rightful Action,Positive thinking, Living the moment, Compassion, Love, Nature, Family, Friends and all life around us. Such a GOD is not supernatural, but is as real as the feeling of being alive.
(October 19, 2014 at 12:00 am)bearheart Wrote:
(October 18, 2014 at 8:17 pm)professor Wrote: Your buddy got into the dark side.
Same game different day.

What does mean that he is manipulated?

Probably by Satan or something... Devil

He said it, not me! Angel

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Exclamation [Serious] How Do I Help My Friend? ReptilianPeon 47 6101 August 22, 2019 at 8:35 pm
Last Post: EgoDeath
  A friend of mine posted this on Facebook and couldn't help but laugh GODZILLA 28 5006 March 23, 2018 at 3:49 am
Last Post: Amarok
  Christian best friend asks me to reconsider Anon2381 45 13312 June 14, 2017 at 10:10 am
Last Post: Anon2381
  I called a friend who is a believer... Old Baby 150 26358 January 15, 2016 at 4:05 pm
Last Post: drfuzzy
  Religious friend dumps pile of shit in my facebook inbox. Too thick to tear apart. DespondentFishdeathMasochismo 28 8498 November 30, 2015 at 4:44 am
Last Post: Mudhammam
  Question from my friend about existence of God timbangu 33 7885 November 3, 2015 at 2:38 am
Last Post: TheRocketSurgeon
  A friend said peace in the middle east is soon and god will return? masterx1234 25 5427 July 21, 2014 at 1:51 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  A Church's Best Friend Michael Schubert 11 4403 December 9, 2013 at 6:02 pm
Last Post: Michael Schubert
  Apathy, gods best friend Chuff 10 5697 August 8, 2012 at 8:49 pm
Last Post: Oldandeasilyconfused
  Jesus is NOT the reason for the season. A Pagan friend of mine posted this on FB: LarissaAnn 4 3032 December 12, 2011 at 6:07 am
Last Post: Nappeun