Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 11:24 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
UK teachers to find potential terrorists
UK teachers to find potential terrorists
So the news story today that teachers in English schools are being encouraged to identify students that they think might be at risk of radicalisation. Kids as young as 11 are reportedly praising the 7/7 martyrs etc. Not sure how effective this can be. I'm a teacher and as far as I'm concerned all year 10s are potential terrorists. Surely this will just create even further segregation and alienation. Imagine being a parent who's told their child is an extremist. This is an area where I agree with the BHA's "Don't Label Me" campaign.
RE: UK teachers to find potential terrorists
Surely this is the same thing as teachers identifying students with mental problems? If a student becomes violent, or is excessively lonely and isolated, it is reported.
But would being an Islamic extremist really manifest itself in those ways? The child could be perfectly well adjusted and still believe a whole load of dodgy evil stuff. Especially in Muslim faith schools - i'm not sure if there would even be much of a noticeable difference between radicalized kids and kids from conservative Muslim families. I'm only saying this because apparently something like 25% of British Muslims support violence in the name of Jihad in certain circumstances. But then again, how much of this is Western Media propoganda?
About 10 years ago,a friend's 16 year old daughter was identified by her school as being at risk of suicide. Of course the kid said it was bullshit. 3 months later she took an overdose.She survived.

My point: sometimes profiling works. Getting the right balance between prudent caution and stomping on large numbers of people's civil rights seems an impossible task.

I realise I implied it's OK to stomp on a small number of people's civil rights for the common good. It is not my position that such action is moral.However, I concede that it is sometimes necessary
(February 3, 2010 at 4:32 pm)padraic Wrote: About 10 years ago,a friend's 16 year old daughter was identified by her school as being at risk of suicide. Of course the kid said it was bullshit. 3 months later she took an overdose.She survived.

My point: sometimes profiling works. Getting the right balance between prudent caution and stomping on large numbers of people's civil rights seems an impossible task.

I realise I implied it's OK to stomp on a small number of people's civil rights for the common good. It is not my position that such action is moral.However, I concede that it is sometimes necessary

I suppose so, like profiling at airport security. Still sad though
Quote:Still sad though.

Indeed, just I'm saddened by the thought of my own death. However, my sadness is not enough for an exception to be made in my case. Violin
It makes sense. If a kid started spouting white supremist rhetoric and praising lynchings they'd report them too. It's part of their job to do this.
- Meatball

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Exclamation Islamic Mafia Criminal Terrorists Gorups and insecurity in Iran AVMXF 22 1892 September 8, 2023 at 1:33 pm
Last Post: AVMXF
  trump the republican asks communist china to investigate his potential election rival Anomalocaris 10 1029 October 4, 2019 at 10:18 am
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  what I Find Really Stupid Rhondazvous 24 1706 April 13, 2019 at 7:16 pm
Last Post: Rhondazvous
  Are nowdays "terrorists" actually terrorists? Macoleco 7 826 February 17, 2019 at 8:30 pm
Last Post: Yonadav
  Find out how much you're getting screwed... Jehanne 112 19723 April 11, 2018 at 2:46 pm
Last Post: Aegon
  Find out what your political ideology is Aegon 32 8327 September 21, 2017 at 2:38 pm
Last Post: Aegon
  Guess What Else The WLB Is About To Find Out Is "Complicated." Minimalist 4 1299 August 10, 2017 at 6:44 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  Potential candidates in 2020 NuclearEnergy 58 16700 June 24, 2017 at 5:04 pm
Last Post: NuclearEnergy
  Do you find Blind Patriotism scary NuclearEnergy 40 4108 March 14, 2017 at 10:51 am
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  Damned White Xtian Terrorists Minimalist 21 3553 January 14, 2016 at 7:01 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie