Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 8:09 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
a logical question for theists
a logical question for theists
why do you have to fear and love god?

here is a case and a sad one. a woman loves her abusive
husband she loves him and yet is afraid of him. that is what
religion is like fear and love the abusive creator. why should
you love someone or some being that only creates misery and
forgive him. let that sink in before you do your god is great posts
and think about it.
Atheism is a non-prophet organization join today. 

Code:
<iframe width="100%" height="450" scrolling="no" frameborder="no" src="https://w.soundcloud.com/player/?url=https%3A//api.soundcloud.com/tracks/255506953&amp;auto_play=false&amp;hide_related=false&amp;show_comments=true&amp;show_user=true&amp;show_reposts=false&amp;visual=true"></iframe>
RE: a logical question for theists
On an unrelated note - why do you fear capitalization and punctuation?
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

Quote:a logical question
Quote:1 Theists are right. Everything can't come from nothing
2 Atheists are right. God can't come from nothing.
Since there are no other options that means that Universe can't exist. But it exists. Therefore logic is delusion.

(October 26, 2014 at 6:18 pm)dyresand Wrote: why do you have to fear
To not be afraid of anything else
Quote: and love god?
Are you grateful to your parents that they gave you life?
1. If you fear God, then - logically - you would be afraid of EVERYTHING else, since 'all things come from God.' To behave otherwise would be akin to fearing a serial killer but being perfectly unafraid of his set of skinning knives.

2. No, I'm not grateful to my parents for giving me life, since the outcome of the act which created me (i.e., Mum and Da going at it like rabbits) was more or less a random event. I do, however, love and respect my parents enormously for the love and nurturing they gave me while I was growing up. The principle difference between God and my parents is that my parents taught me right from wrong, instilled in my a sense of moral virtue, and worked diligently to both provide for my needs and to keep me safe from harm. The same cannot be said for God.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
But nobody is afraid of knifes
(October 26, 2014 at 7:41 pm)dimaniac Wrote: But nobody is afraid of knifes

The word is 'knives', and yes, a lot of people are afraid of knives. Aichmophobia.

But back to our muttons. Do you think it's really sensible to be afraid of God and NOT be afraid of he landslide he sends to crush your village?

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(October 26, 2014 at 6:18 pm)dyresand Wrote: why do you have to fear and love god?

Logical question for theists = postulating no question regarding logic...?

Theists don't have to fear and love god to be theists.

Quote:here is a case and a sad one. a woman loves her abusive
and think about it.

You seem to misconstrue 'abusive' relationships as 'inherently only negative' relationships... oftentimes there are many 'redeemable' qualities about an abusive person, and there are many reasons where one might have found themselves loving them.

That doesn't affect one's fear of the abuse, which creates the scenario of entrapment where most of the time the abused does not want to leave, and the few times when they think they want to, they can backpedal over all the 'wonderful' things they're getting out of the relationship.

The thought of leaving an abusive relationship creates a tremendous amount of guilt, which anchors people far past the point where a noninvested opinion would have removed them. Hope further anchors, after all, "maybe it'll get better".

But just so easily can one equally fear a person who has done them *no* wrongs, based on what *could* *potentially* *in the future* be done to them by said person, who has only ever been benevolent to them. This 'fear' you speak of in the religious sense? It is how a god had to get his bronze age believers to respect him, as such people respect only fear.

It is not a component that many would argue still applies in the modern day. Though, others might say that, based on all the doubters, a good showing of awe-inspiring supernatural terrorism might be in order. Wink

(October 26, 2014 at 7:41 pm)dimaniac Wrote: But nobody is afraid of knifes

If I can be sexually into slitting someone open with a knife, their blood cascading in tremendously spiraling spurts from their neck... then likewise can I pale bloodless in fear of someone slitting me open with a knife, my blood painting the world before my darkening eyes.

... Some people can be very very afraid of knives. Particularly, those with reason to respect them.
Please give me a home where cloud buffalo roam
Where the dear and the strangers can play
Where sometimes is heard a discouraging word
But the skies are not stormy all day
(October 26, 2014 at 7:43 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: Do you think it's really sensible to be afraid of God and NOT be afraid of he landslide he sends to crush your village?
When i had an existential crisis I was afraid of everything. Then I became theist and fear has gone.
(October 26, 2014 at 7:48 pm)dimaniac Wrote: When i had an existential crisis I was afraid of everything. Then I became theist and fear has gone.

The burden of the knowledge that everything you know is real, and also false... has a way of squishing the spineless, and breaking the vertebratical. Wink
Please give me a home where cloud buffalo roam
Where the dear and the strangers can play
Where sometimes is heard a discouraging word
But the skies are not stormy all day
(October 26, 2014 at 6:18 pm)dyresand Wrote: why do you have to fear and love god?

here is a case and a sad one. a woman loves her abusive
and think about it.

First things first.

We have to acknoweledge that the bible was not originally written in English.
It is a literal translation of either koine greek or Hebrew texts. (Literal translation being a translation who's words are matched as closely as possible to the orginal only making exception for syntax and corrective grammar. This is apposed to a contextual translation which most denominationally specific version try and do.) so while a literal translations tend to be neutral, they sometimes leave a person confused. Like for instance in western cultures more over English speaking ones how can one both love and hate without being subject to a mental disorder seems to be the question your asking...

So the next thing we do is look up the orginal words in the greek and Hebrew.

In the hebrew the word is:yare

While it can mean to terrify, the contextual meaning to to stand in awe, to revelance or respect.

http://www.blueletterbible.org/lang/lexi...3372&t=KJV

In the Greek the word is phobeo: it literally can mean the same.

http://www.blueletterbible.org/lang/lexi...5399&t=KJV

So in short we get the word 'fear' God because you are reading it out of a literal translation, but when you look at the actual words themselves the word fear contextually means to venerate or respect and Love God.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Question to theists: When to take the bible literally? T.J. 22 1849 November 26, 2021 at 6:14 pm
Last Post: onlinebiker
  Question to Theists? kartronic 10 2155 May 30, 2019 at 9:11 pm
Last Post: Jehanne
  Why Lust is bad, not gonna use "sin" reason but logical reason Rispri 27 5537 March 4, 2017 at 7:38 pm
Last Post: Ravenshire
  A serious question for theists dyresand 35 4907 November 12, 2016 at 7:06 pm
Last Post: Funky_Gibbon
  Ethics question for theists - serious - looking for opinions not argument. drfuzzy 36 4801 September 27, 2016 at 1:39 pm
Last Post: drfuzzy
  Question to Theists About the Source of Morality GrandizerII 33 7651 January 8, 2016 at 7:39 pm
Last Post: Godscreated
  A question(s) for theists VI dyresand 25 4920 January 6, 2016 at 12:34 pm
Last Post: dyresand
  Theists ask me a question dyresand 34 7702 January 5, 2016 at 1:14 am
Last Post: God of Mr. Hanky
  A question for theists Part V - A new hope dyresand 12 3901 November 14, 2015 at 8:02 pm
Last Post: dyresand
  A question for theists Part III dyresand 4 1522 November 4, 2015 at 8:20 pm
Last Post: Angrboda