Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 5:01 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Those Theists
Those Theists
Hello Everyone,

I'm new here, and, as you can see from my profile I am a theist.  I believe in One God, that created the entire world himself, with out the use of evolution or a "big bang". However, I am not so fundamentalist that I believe that it took a literal 6 days.  Evidence shows that the earth has been around for more than 6,000 years...and the Bible doesn't explicitly state what a "day" consists of.  

Genesis:

"1:God called the light 'day,' and the darkness he called 'night.' And there was evening, and there was morning—the first day."

"1:8 God called the vault “sky.” And there was evening, and there was morning—the second day."  (NIV)

Etc.

Obviously it doesn't define much, as far as day and night is concerned, besides that light is "day, and darkness is "night".  And that there was an evening and a morning.  This is all besides the point though.  

The real point I'm trying to make is this: I am a theist, but I disagree with SO many other theists, in areas such as The Trinity,  When the "rapture" will occur, and how long the earth has really been around.  I can agree with most all theists on the following points: 

1. That there is a God

That's it...

Here's why: After you differentiate between Theists and Atheists, then you have Polytheistic and Monotheistic, then down(Following Monotheistic path)  to Islam, Christianity, Judaism, etc.... The down the Christianity path to Protestant versus Catholic, then within the Protestant branch to Baptist, Presbyterian, Lutheran, etc etc etc. I am even further removed, being an Protestant Unitarian, non-denominational... But I can agree with most protestants that: 

1. That God Exists, created the world and universe, and is still living, and that god is omnipresent and all-powerful

2. That God(The Father) sent his only Son to earth to die to save me because I sinned, as did every other man on earth

3. That there is a Heaven and a Hell, 

But I disagree in the following areas:

1. I don't see the logic or Biblical evidence behind a Trinity(Which is considered absolutely VITAL to believe in many Christian churches)

2. I don't agree with many fellow Protestants that the "rapture" will occur Before the Great Tribulation, I believe it will occur after, thus I am a "Post-Trib" 

The list go's on.  That's why I consider myself a Non-denominational.  I attend Baptist churches usually, and I don't often tell people that I'm Unitarian or else they'll try and kick me out or worse...

So here is my question to you atheists: 

Were you aware of this much divide between theist people, and is there much division between the atheists...like as in time frames and how old the earth really is(stuff like that)?

I am open to debate on topics such as my belief on how old the earth is and my other beliefs, but can we please try to keep discussion focused on the above question? Later let's tackle my other thoughts.  

I appreciate it,
Willie
-Willie

A Baptist/Unitarian, open-minded Conservative, easy going fellow

"Do not compute the totality of your poultry population until all the manifestations of incubation have been entirely completed."
--William Jennings Bryan

James 1:19 :
"My dear brothers and sisters, take note of this: Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry," (NIV)
RE: Those Theists
(May 17, 2018 at 5:46 pm)Willie23 Wrote: Hello Everyone,

I'm new here, and, as you can see from my profile I am a theist.  I believe in One God, that created the entire world himself, with out the use of evolution or a "big bang". However, I am not so fundamentalist that I believe that it took a literal 6 days.  Evidence shows that the earth has been around for more than 6,000 years...and the Bible doesn't explicitly state what a "day" consists of.  
Welcome aboard.  

Quote:Genesis:

"1:God called the light 'day,' and the darkness he called 'night.' And there was evening, and there was morning—the first day."

"1:8 God called the vault “sky.” And there was evening, and there was morning—the second day."  (NIV)

Etc.

Obviously it doesn't define much, as far as day and night is concerned, besides that light is "day, and darkness is "night".  And that there was an evening and a morning.  This is all besides the point though.  

The real point I'm trying to make is this: I am a theist, but I disagree with SO many other theists, in areas such as The Trinity,  When the "rapture" will occur, and how long the earth has really been around.  I can agree with most all theists on the following points: 

1. That there is a God

That's it...

Here's why: After you differentiate between Theists and Atheists, then you have Polytheistic and Monotheistic, then down(Following Monotheistic path)  to Islam, Christianity, Judaism, etc.... The down the Christianity path to Protestant versus Catholic, then within the Protestant branch to Baptist, Presbyterian, Lutheran, etc etc etc. I am even further removed, being an Protestant Unitarian, non-denominational... But I can agree with most protestants that: 

1. That God Exists, created the world and universe, and is still living, and that god is omnipresent and all-powerful

2. That God(The Father) sent his only Son to earth to die to save me because I sinned, as did every other man on earth

3. That there is a Heaven and a Hell, 

But I disagree in the following areas:

1. I don't see the logic or Biblical evidence behind a Trinity(Which is considered absolutely VITAL to believe in many Christian churches)

2. I don't agree with many fellow Protestants that the "rapture" will occur Before the Great Tribulation, I believe it will occur after, thus I am a "Post-Trib" 

The list go's on.  That's why I consider myself a Non-denominational.  I attend Baptist churches usually, and I don't often tell people that I'm Unitarian or else they'll try and kick me out or worse...

So here is my question to you atheists: 

Were you aware of this much divide between theist people, and is there much division between the atheists...like as in time frames and how old the earth really is(stuff like that)?

I am open to debate on topics such as my belief on how old the earth is and my other beliefs, but can we please try to keep discussion focused on the above question? Later let's tackle my other thoughts.  

I appreciate it,
Willie

Yeah..we're aware.  There are tens of thousands of christian sects, alone.  That doesn;t exactly scream agreement...though, your beliefs are rather pedestrian, as stated. Certainly no less fanciful and no less misinformed.

Sure, btw, what with atheism being a single line item there's tons of other differences between any given atheist. The only thing we all have in common is that we don;t believe in gods.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
Quote:Were you aware of this much divide between theist people

Of course.  We find it tremendously amusing.  Scads of people who are wrong about everything each declaring that they alone are right.

Greetings.
Welcome

The Earth isn't 6000 years old it's 4.6 billion years old and the universe is 13.7 billion years old. The dinosaurs died out 65 million years ago. How do you explain dinosaurs?

I hope you enjoy your stay here.
(May 17, 2018 at 5:46 pm)Willie23 Wrote: Were you aware of this much divide between theist people?

Yes.

When I was a theist attending a Pentecostal church, fellow parishioners were constantly talking bad about the Catholics in town.

It is interesting how god-believers can agree on the existence of god and Jesus' salvation, but little else, reaffirming to themselves that theirs is the proper True sect while others have it all wrong.

Welcome to the forum. Smile
Welcome Willie23.

Don't feel bad about disagreeing with the idea of the Trinity.

Even Jesus is confused about how it is supposed to work.

Matthew 28 (KJV)
18 And Jesus came and spake unto them, saying, All power is given unto me in heaven and in earth.

Jesus with all power isn't really an equal partner in an equally 3 way Trinity, is He ??
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

Welcome to our little band of heathens.

Without meaning disrespect:
There are some who say the emperor is wearing fine silks.
There are others who say he is wearing wool-spun gold.
There are yet others who say he is parading in the most exquisite of cotton.

There is much discussion, so we are aware, of just what our emperor might wear.
But whatever you lot may conclude; to us he still seems just as nude.
"If we go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, suggesting 69.
[Image: 41bebac06973488da2b0740b6ac37538.jpg]-
Something that seems to be a bit of a culture shock, as far as christians familiarizing themselves with atheism is concerned..is that while there's some doctrine about which all christians agree (and minor or major arcana about which they disagree) theres really no atheist analog.  We don;t have holy books or holy men.  We're not all atheists for the same reason, or any reason..and we're not all responding to the same god stories, even.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
Hi ya Willie.

Hope you can stick around for awhile. Might be a bit of a rough ride in the beginning. Us heathens tend to like it bareback.

The only thing atheists all have in common is being a-theists.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
What about specific examples of where you might disagree with a fellow atheist, similar to a theist “doctrine”...is there anything that stands out, any big debate between atheists?

Also, thanks for the warm welcome!
-Willie

A Baptist/Unitarian, open-minded Conservative, easy going fellow

"Do not compute the totality of your poultry population until all the manifestations of incubation have been entirely completed."
--William Jennings Bryan

James 1:19 :
"My dear brothers and sisters, take note of this: Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry," (NIV)

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Who goes to hell - as far as those pious Bible Christians are concerned? Dundee 71 6377 June 14, 2020 at 12:41 pm
Last Post: Paleophyte
  Just Look at all Those Fulfilled Prophecies! YahwehIsTheWay 37 5555 December 6, 2018 at 2:14 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  For Those Who'd Like To Read It. Minimalist 7 1253 December 29, 2016 at 7:42 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  For those who want proof of the exodus Drich 868 133135 February 11, 2016 at 9:28 am
Last Post: Drich
  The holes in religion are like those in a time travel movie. RichardP 20 5387 January 8, 2013 at 9:44 pm
Last Post: RichardP
  Atheists are closer to Christianity than those who believe God is a man in the sky? AthiestAtheist 10 4566 November 18, 2011 at 6:05 pm
Last Post: Oldandeasilyconfused
Question To those who believe Bible is not literal... annatar 104 26557 September 14, 2010 at 12:06 pm
Last Post: annatar