Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 4:32 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Death and Evolution
Death and Evolution
During a CultofDusty video in which he smokes DMT, he mentions that DMT may be (not verified) released by the pineal gland at death. The idea being a sense of peace washes over you as you fade into oblivion, helping you deal with your death.

My first thought was (regardless of this being at all true)- If the pineal gland does assist in our death, how did we/would we go about evolving this ability that occurs at death; after reproduction or before reproduction? Is there a work-around for death?

Let's say a being somewhere in our evolutionary history contains a genetic mutation that doesn't seem to effect it- good nor bad, and the mutation goes unnoticed. The being reproduces, passing on the mutation, and at death gets a pleasant surprise as it is soothed by a chemical in its brain. So, the work-around here is that the mutation has no ill-effects impeding on the being's ability to reproduce. Is this sound?

Another thought that crossed my mind- Would constant near death situations be enough pressure to force the acceptance of this mutation? I guess a better way to ask this would be- Is there a clear benefit (not actually dying) to reacting to near death with acceptance rather than some other way (panic)?

And kind of a mind fuck "what if"- What if we developed a mutation that caused us no harm, but at death we just shit our pants with inescapable terror? How would evolution weed that out? And what might have prevented that?
RE: Death and Evolution
You are learning about biology on youtube from a guy on lsd?
ClapClapClap

ROFLOL

But this does explain it. His experience sounds like how religious people experience 'spiritual awakening', so I guess the gland activates whenever the brain is about to die.
Quote:To know yet to think that one does not know is best; Not to know yet to think that one knows will lead to difficulty.
- Lau Tzu

Join me on atheistforums Slack Cool Shades (pester tibs via pm if you need invite) Tongue

This is simply another dumbfuck trying to mix science with superstition.
Haha No, I don't think Dusty was trying to teach biology or mix science with superstition. He mentioned the pineal gland thing in passing and I latched on to it. So, I think if anybody is the dumbfuck, it's probably me lol. I think the main point of his video was to show how people misinterpret certain experiences as spiritual. Really, I think he just wanted to take psychedelics on camera.
I can't remember where this verse is from, I think it got removed from canon:

"I don't hang around with mostly men because I'm gay. It's because men are better than women. Better trained, better equipped...better. Just better! I'm not gay."

For context, this is the previous verse:

"Hi Jesus" -robvalue
(November 2, 2014 at 11:36 am)Exian Wrote: Really, I think he just wanted to take psychedelics on camera.

Or did he? I don't think he's stupid enough to make himself a target for the war on drugs. I watched his video too and thought he was just play acting to drive home his point.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Chemical evolution of amino acids and proteins ? Impossible !! Otangelo 56 8912 January 10, 2020 at 2:59 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Vision and Evolution (A Critique of Dawkins) John 6IX Breezy 680 66274 August 26, 2019 at 9:00 am
Last Post: polymath257
  100% fruit juice liked to increased death death brewer 28 2691 May 22, 2019 at 3:42 pm
Last Post: LastPoet
  Theory of Evolution, Atheism, and Homophobia. RayOfLight 31 4969 October 25, 2017 at 9:24 am
Last Post: Brian37
  Evolution and the Texas Sharp Shooter Fallacy Clueless Morgan 12 2260 July 9, 2015 at 10:17 am
Last Post: Clueless Morgan
  生物学101:Genetics and Evolution. Duke Guilmon 2 2136 March 14, 2015 at 12:32 pm
Last Post: Dystopia
  Myths and misconceptions about evolution - Alex Gendler Gooders1002 2 2024 July 8, 2013 at 11:59 am
Last Post: Tonus
  Intelligent design type evolution vs naturalism type evolution. Mystic 59 30311 April 6, 2013 at 5:12 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Evolution, the Bible, and the 3.5 Million Dollar Violin - my article Jeffonthenet 99 56187 September 4, 2012 at 11:50 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  difference between Micro and macro evolution Gooders1002 21 8922 May 19, 2012 at 12:27 am
Last Post: Polaris