Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 9:59 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Evolution, the Bible, and the 3.5 Million Dollar Violin - my article
Evolution, the Bible, and the 3.5 Million Dollar Violin - my article
http://sententias.org/2012/01/04/evoluti...ar-violin/

If you would like to comment, I would appreciate if you read the whole article.
RE: Evolution, the Bible, and the 3.5 Million Dollar Violin - my article
I think you're suffering from hindsight bias.

Quote:God creating a bible with such apparent contradictions with science could be just like Joshua Bell putting on the clothes of an average person, looking to see who will stop for the music’s sake, and not out of other motives.

You're forgetting that when the Bible came into being none of those contradictions were apparent. It wasn't humble at all. Also, appreciating and / or recognising Joshua Bell's talent didn't decide the fate of the eternal souls of those passing by. If it did, that would be, in my opinion, quite cruel. The errors in the Bible and its influence on thinking caused confusion and resistence when actual science came about -- something any sufficiently erudite deity should have been able to foresee. If the Biblical god wants to be humble, it could start by not having the personal pronouns referring to it capitalised.
Quote:Now, what if God were to do a similar thing?

You were doing so well until that point. Right there you forgot that your 'god' is not a given. Before your god can do anything you must demonstrate that he is more than a figment of your imagination. Xtians always want to skip that step and, sadly, it is my job to remind them of it.

BTW, I had the opportunity to hear Joshua Bell at Symphony Hall in Phoenix a couple of years ago. He brought down the house.
(July 11, 2012 at 1:31 am)Jeffonthenet Wrote: http://sententias.org/2012/01/04/evoluti...ar-violin/

(July 11, 2012 at 2:44 am)Tempus Wrote: I think you're suffering from hindsight bias.

Quote:God creating a bible with such apparent contradictions with science could be just like Joshua Bell putting on the clothes of an average person, looking to see who will stop for the music’s sake, and not out of other motives.

You're forgetting that when the Bible came into being none of those contradictions were apparent.

So what?

Quote:It wasn't humble at all.

I don't see you are claiming here or how it is relevant.

Quote:Also, appreciating and / or recognising Joshua Bell's talent didn't decide the fate of your eternal soul. If it did that would be, in my opinion, quite cruel.

Joshua Bell's talent was a metaphor I used in the article. His talent would represent pure goodness in the metaphor, and not recognizing pure goodness suggests that one might be evil and so deserving of condemnation and not heaven.

(July 11, 2012 at 1:31 am)Jeffonthenet Wrote: http://sententias.org/2012/01/04/evoluti...ar-violin/

(July 11, 2012 at 2:54 am)Minimalist Wrote:
Quote:Now, what if God were to do a similar thing?

You were doing so well until that point. Right there you forgot that your 'god' is not a given. Before your god can do anything you must demonstrate that he is more than a figment of your imagination. Xtians always want to skip that step and, sadly, it is my job to remind them of it.

My point was more that evolution does not disprove God, nor suggest that he doesn't exist.

Quote:BTW, I had the opportunity to hear Joshua Bell at Symphony Hall in Phoenix a couple of years ago. He brought down the house.

Smile cool. I'm seeing him at Ravinia in Chicago soon, though I am getting the worse seats in the house due to my budget. I still can't wait though Smile He does songs in concerts that aren't on his CDs.
Why the fuck did I even bother.
meh, not too blown away by the analagy. I expected something more compelling, sorry
(July 11, 2012 at 2:59 am)Tempus Wrote: Why the fuck did I even bother.

?

(July 11, 2012 at 3:39 am)Chuff Wrote: meh, not too blown away by the analagy. I expected something more compelling, sorry

Sorry you weren't blown away, but that doesn't really suggest what I wrote was irrational.
All I can say is that Mr. Bell got majorly ripped off at the violin store.

(July 11, 2012 at 3:55 am)Tiberius Wrote: All I can say is that Mr. Bell got majorly ripped off at the violin store.

Lol Smile
(July 11, 2012 at 2:56 am)Jeffonthenet Wrote: My point was more that evolution does not disprove God, nor suggest that he doesn't exist.

It does however disprove the biblical version of events.
[Image: mybannerglitter06eee094.gif]
If you're not supposed to ride faster than your guardian angel can fly then mine had better get a bloody SR-71.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Chemical evolution of amino acids and proteins ? Impossible !! Otangelo 56 8839 January 10, 2020 at 2:59 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Game changing face from 3.8 million years ago Fake Messiah 18 1477 December 22, 2019 at 6:18 pm
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Vision and Evolution (A Critique of Dawkins) John 6IX Breezy 680 64841 August 26, 2019 at 9:00 am
Last Post: polymath257
  Woe unto those who depend on the bible for their knowledge of evolution Whateverist 1 552 August 7, 2018 at 8:58 am
Last Post: Angrboda
  Theory of Evolution, Atheism, and Homophobia. RayOfLight 31 4946 October 25, 2017 at 9:24 am
Last Post: Brian37
  12.9 million infants not vaxed in 2016 Foxaèr 10 3385 July 24, 2017 at 12:28 am
Last Post: Astonished
  99 million Year Old Bird Transition Found Amarok 14 5323 June 9, 2017 at 8:41 am
Last Post: Amarok
  Look Out, Suicide Article brewer 0 690 December 22, 2016 at 5:38 pm
Last Post: brewer
  "How to Change Someone's Mind" Wash. Post. article drfuzzy 0 828 February 25, 2016 at 11:48 am
Last Post: drfuzzy
  Is there enough time for SPECIATION for million species drkfuture 11 6104 July 30, 2015 at 7:52 am
Last Post: Alex K