Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 1:18 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
difference between Micro and macro evolution
difference between Micro and macro evolution
I know one its needed for the other but what is the specify difference /similarities between the two?
"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful" - Edward Gibbon (Offen misattributed to Lucius Annaeus Seneca or Seneca the Younger) (Thanks to apophenia for the correction)
'I am driven by two main philosophies:
Know more about the world than I knew yesterday and lessen the suffering of others. You'd be surprised how far that gets you' - Neil deGrasse Tyson
"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it." - Mark Twain
RE: difference between Micro and macro evolution
Time.

That is all.
so which come first and at what level. so one being individual and one being the species or something like that.
"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful" - Edward Gibbon (Offen misattributed to Lucius Annaeus Seneca or Seneca the Younger) (Thanks to apophenia for the correction)
Know more about the world than I knew yesterday and lessen the suffering of others. You'd be surprised how far that gets you' - Neil deGrasse Tyson
"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it." - Mark Twain
Huh?

Oh, the egg. The egg came first.
So called macro evolution is nothing more than the accumulation of small incremental changes over long periods of time.
so basicly its all the same thing but on different time scale?
(May 9, 2012 at 12:13 pm)Gooders1002 Wrote: so which come first and at what level. so one being individual and one being the species or something like that.

Micro-evolution is small changes in a single species. Macro-evolution is just a term for the accumulation of all those small changes to the point where one population of the evolved ancestral species cannot interbreed with another population of the evolved ancestral species.

Remember, it is the species that "evolves", not the individual.
that makes sense, thanks Smile
(May 9, 2012 at 12:10 pm)Gooders1002 Wrote: I know one its needed for the other but what is the specify difference /similarities between the two?

Making an analogy between individuals and species:

Think of speciation as the permanent separation of two previously compatible individuals that have grown to be incompatible. In this context, macro evolution is when you and your wife divorce. micro evolution is when you and your wife fight.

(May 9, 2012 at 12:48 pm)Chuck Wrote:
(May 9, 2012 at 12:10 pm)Gooders1002 Wrote: I know one its needed for the other but what is the specify difference /similarities between the two?

Think of speciation as the permanent separation of two previously related individuals that have grown to be incompatible. Macro evolution is when you and your wife divorce. Micro evolution is when you and your wife argue.
nice analogy, make alot of sense now

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Chemical evolution of amino acids and proteins ? Impossible !! Otangelo 56 8890 January 10, 2020 at 2:59 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  [Serious] Link between brain damage and religious fundamentalism established Fake Messiah 9 994 November 18, 2019 at 12:14 am
Last Post: John 6IX Breezy
  Vision and Evolution (A Critique of Dawkins) John 6IX Breezy 680 66021 August 26, 2019 at 9:00 am
Last Post: polymath257
  Theory of Evolution, Atheism, and Homophobia. RayOfLight 31 4964 October 25, 2017 at 9:24 am
Last Post: Brian37
  Not that it'll make any difference, but... BrianSoddingBoru4 2 649 June 7, 2017 at 3:16 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Correlations between Intelligence & Interest Azu 6 1254 May 8, 2017 at 11:32 am
Last Post: GrandizerII
  The connection between religion and neuropsychological processes in the human brain Aroura 9 2254 March 10, 2017 at 10:57 pm
Last Post: ignoramus
  Test My Theory: Macro evolution DOES happen? Gawdzilla Sama 44 12851 December 20, 2016 at 6:35 pm
Last Post: RoadRunner79
  An Evolutionary Connection Between Plants and Animals? Rhondazvous 2 1023 February 18, 2016 at 9:05 pm
Last Post: ignoramus
  Relation Between Memory and Intelligence? Rhondazvous 13 3525 December 15, 2015 at 11:30 am
Last Post: vorlon13