Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 8:46 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Evolution and the Texas Sharp Shooter Fallacy
Evolution and the Texas Sharp Shooter Fallacy
I'm in a email discussion with a Mormon about religion and science and in the process of me trying to explain to her the kinds of things that should be required to accept an extraordinary claim as true we got onto the topic of the Texas Sharp Shooter Fallacy and she made the following statement (my bolding):

Quote:From what I understand, a genuine sharpshooter fallacy would occur when a hypothesis is formulated based on observational data and then the original observational data is used as it's only proof.  The theory of evolution started out as a hypothesis trying to explain observational data - that didn't make it a sharpshooter fallacy as continual observations since then have supported the hypothesis.

I've already addressed the sharpshooter stuff in my email, but I'm having trouble explaining in a short way how Darwin developing his theory of evolution is not him committing the sharpshooter fallacy.

The best I've come up with so far amounts to something like "Darwin made observations while on the Beagle, yes.  He based a hypothesis on those observations, yes.  And then he spent years testing that hypothesis before publishing Origins, and his original observations were far from his 'only proof'."

It's short but I was trying to come up with something more pithy and just a couple sentences long.

Anyone got a suggestion?
Teenaged X-Files obsession + Bermuda Triangle episode + Self-led school research project = Atheist.
RE: Evolution and the Texas Sharp Shooter Fallacy
(July 8, 2015 at 1:45 pm)Clueless Morgan Wrote: I'm in a email discussion with a Mormon about religion and science and in the process of me trying to explain to her the kinds of things that should be required to accept an extraordinary claim as true we got onto the topic of the Texas Sharp Shooter Fallacy and she made the following statement (my bolding):

Quote:From what I understand, a genuine sharpshooter fallacy would occur when a hypothesis is formulated based on observational data and then the original observational data is used as it's only proof.  The theory of evolution started out as a hypothesis trying to explain observational data - that didn't make it a sharpshooter fallacy as continual observations since then have supported the hypothesis.

I've already addressed the sharpshooter stuff in my email, but I'm having trouble explaining in a short way how Darwin developing his theory of evolution is not him committing the sharpshooter fallacy.

The best I've come up with so far amounts to something like "Darwin made observations while on the Beagle, yes.  He based a hypothesis on those observations, yes.  And then he spent years testing that hypothesis before publishing Origins, and his original observations were far from his 'only proof'."

It's short but I was trying to come up with something more pithy and just a couple sentences long.

Anyone got a suggestion?

I think that your explanation is pretty good just like it is.
The moron...excuse me, mormon, needs to study this.

Quote:The steps of the scientific method are to:
  • Ask a Question
  • Do Background Research
  • Construct a Hypothesis
  • Test Your Hypothesis by Doing an Experiment
  • Analyze Your Data and Draw a Conclusion
  • Communicate Your Results

All science begins with a question which leads to a hypothesis.  The hypothesis is then tested.

Be happy that she understands that the ToE has been supported by 150 years of of continuing research.  Puts her way ahead of the creatards.
Damn, Mormons have such a tenuous and feeble grip on reality as it is.  Their befuddlement and gullibility is the stuff of legends.

While you have her attention, see if she can explain why the account of Joseph Smith's first visitation, written in his own hand, is not the official version. 

Huh
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

(July 8, 2015 at 1:56 pm)Nope Wrote: I think that your explanation is pretty good just like it is.

I'm trying for a more pithy response, tho.  Sad  That one is just so... inelegant to me.

(July 8, 2015 at 1:58 pm)Minimalist Wrote: The moron...excuse me, mormon, needs to study this.

That's the other contentious issue right now.  The Ex-Mormon who is also participating gave her an example of how the scientific method can be used to test why a remote control isn't working and she responded by saying that it wasn't an example of the scientific method because (I paraphrase) "you're not learning anything new from that experiment, nor are you adding to the body of science", and then carries on in her next email about how she's "casually" using the scientific method to prove her god is true/real in exactly the same way she previously said you couldn't use the scientific method.

Quote:Be happy that she understands that the ToE has been supported by 150 years of of continuing research.  Puts her way ahead of the creatards.

That's what you think.  Big Grin

She's talking out of both sides of her mouth with her above-bolded statement; in a previous email she said quite plainly that she believes in intelligent design and that she doesn't accept evolution because she doesn't think that's how God did it.  Now she's trying to have her cake and eat it, too.  And I'm gonna call her on it.
Teenaged X-Files obsession + Bermuda Triangle episode + Self-led school research project = Atheist.
Handy that you can now shove her own words up her ass.
(July 8, 2015 at 1:58 pm)Minimalist Wrote: The moron...excuse me, mormon, needs to ...

[Image: ba73f949d3fb1439ab39ef03f644f13f.jpg]

"A wise man ... proportions his belief to the evidence."
— David Hume, An Enquiry Concerning Human Understanding, Section X, Part I.
This is what I've come up with so far:

Her:
Quote:The theory of evolution started out as a hypothesis trying to explain observational data - that didn't make it a sharpshooter fallacy as continual observations since then have supported the hypothesis.

Me:
Quote:… So you accept evolution now?

And no, the Theory of Evolution did not start out as a hypothesis trying to explain observational data, it was a hypothesis formulated after making an observation.  Once Darwin had formulated his hypothesis, he then went about collecting the actual data that would support or refute that hypothesis.  It was after years of collecting such data that Darwin published On The Origin of Species.  And, might I add, his initial observations about the various beak shapes of the finches on the Galapagos Islands was not even discussed in Origins.  The Darwin's Theory of Evolution did not commit the sharpshooter fallacy.

And I currently have this meme copied into my word document - if only to amuse myself - because this is the face I make every time I read her emails:
[Image: OpoQQ.jpg]

What do y'all think?  Succinct enough?  Explanatory enough?
You're doing well. Wouldn't change a thing.

Might try micro evolution argument.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Human Case of H5N1 Bird Flu in Texas Nanny 1 161 April 1, 2024 at 7:05 pm
Last Post: Paleophyte
  Chemical evolution of amino acids and proteins ? Impossible !! Otangelo 56 8913 January 10, 2020 at 2:59 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Vision and Evolution (A Critique of Dawkins) John 6IX Breezy 680 66280 August 26, 2019 at 9:00 am
Last Post: polymath257
  Theory of Evolution, Atheism, and Homophobia. RayOfLight 31 4969 October 25, 2017 at 9:24 am
Last Post: Brian37
  生物学101:Genetics and Evolution. Duke Guilmon 2 2136 March 14, 2015 at 12:32 pm
Last Post: Dystopia
  Death and Evolution Exian 4 1836 November 2, 2014 at 11:45 am
Last Post: abaris
  Myths and misconceptions about evolution - Alex Gendler Gooders1002 2 2024 July 8, 2013 at 11:59 am
Last Post: Tonus
  Intelligent design type evolution vs naturalism type evolution. Mystic 59 30315 April 6, 2013 at 5:12 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Evolution, the Bible, and the 3.5 Million Dollar Violin - my article Jeffonthenet 99 56190 September 4, 2012 at 11:50 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  difference between Micro and macro evolution Gooders1002 21 8928 May 19, 2012 at 12:27 am
Last Post: Polaris