Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 20, 2024, 11:36 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The truth..
The truth..
Science and the advancement of human understanding always have truths. Truths that hurt religion and the people preaching it. The pope knowing these truths tried to wrap god around it like a shiny candy wrapper and said god did this isn't he amazing. But i think for the most part its time to grow up and put those books away, you can have your faith you can throw it around and be proud of it. But when it comes down to it accept the research and facts that are presented because well it took time and money to figure out why we got here and how we evolved. Just because we haven't found any historical evidence on jesus doesn't mean we aren't hiding it.. but well events in the bible never really happened.
Atheism is a non-prophet organization join today. 

Code:
<iframe width="100%" height="450" scrolling="no" frameborder="no" src="https://w.soundcloud.com/player/?url=https%3A//api.soundcloud.com/tracks/255506953&amp;auto_play=false&amp;hide_related=false&amp;show_comments=true&amp;show_user=true&amp;show_reposts=false&amp;visual=true"></iframe>
RE: The truth..
Some liberals and atheists think this Pope is a sign of a much kinder Vatican. But this well intended view is short term thinking. Once you take into account how religions in general stay relevant long term, you realize they all survive through marketing memes and social norms. They way old ones die that no one believes in anymore is through challenging social norms and or neglect, sometimes local events from natural disaster, disease or war can have a fatal affect on a religion. We still do not know exactly why the Mayan religion died.

Religions really are nothing more than a reflection of our evolutionary grouping. They create safety in numbers and social orders but can be centered around a complete falsehood and most certainly just watching the news today, you know that they are quite divided even with in the same label. The Vatican is split about women's reproductive rights and gay marriage, which is why the Pope is trying to split the baby clinging to the past while trying to change with changing times. The religion will adapt and look different in the future and we can also expect to see it die 5k or 10k years from now like the Egyptian polytheism died.
(November 8, 2014 at 10:33 am)Brian37 Wrote: They way old ones die that no one believes in anymore is through challenging social norms and or neglect.

Which religion has died by not staying current with socio-cultural norms? Most dead religions I know of have died because its followers were exterminated or forcefully converted.
(November 8, 2014 at 10:40 am)genkaus Wrote:
(November 8, 2014 at 10:33 am)Brian37 Wrote: They way old ones die that no one believes in anymore is through challenging social norms and or neglect.

Which religion has died by not staying current with socio-cultural norms? Most dead religions I know of have died because its followers were exterminated or forcefully converted.

Roman polytheistic religion started dying in the first century BCE. Augustus tried to prop it up, But new religions were becoming popular and displacing the official cults. Sort of like Christianity is beginning to sag badly in Europe, and is beginning to droop in America. Christianity seems to be in serious trouble in Jolly Old England.

https://humanism.org.uk/campaigns/religi...tatistics/
Cheerful Charlie

If I saw a man beating a tied up dog, I couldn't prove it was wrong, but I'd know it was wrong.
- Attributed to Mark Twain
(November 8, 2014 at 9:59 pm)Cheerful Charlie Wrote: Roman polytheistic religion started dying in the first century BCE. Augustus tried to prop it up, But new religions were becoming popular and displacing the official cults.

And here I thought it died when Christianity was adopted as the official state religion and the pagans were persecuted.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Truth or swag? Angrboda 64 9430 June 4, 2018 at 3:08 am
Last Post: Whateverist
  Theists: would you view the truth? robvalue 154 17996 December 25, 2016 at 2:29 am
Last Post: Godscreated
  Moral Truth The Reality Salesman01 12 3368 February 21, 2015 at 12:09 pm
Last Post: goodwithoutgod
  For Theists only: Do you believe in Absolute/Universal truth? Tsun Tsu 50 6497 November 5, 2014 at 6:04 am
Last Post: Nintentacle
  Truth for Youth Diablo 4 1577 August 28, 2014 at 2:13 pm
Last Post: Zack
  My Gospel of Truth flashgordon 12 3355 June 25, 2014 at 7:50 pm
Last Post: Cyberman
  The simple truth The Good News 364 116770 March 3, 2014 at 1:54 am
Last Post: Jackalope
  Shift of truth feeling 12 3807 December 14, 2013 at 12:56 am
Last Post: Foxaèr
  Duck Commander Phil Robertson Witnesses the Simple Truth HouseofSeed 2 2234 December 12, 2013 at 9:28 am
Last Post: Cyberman
  Truth is with the one who demonstrates it - EMET StrongWaters 11 2577 December 9, 2013 at 5:01 pm
Last Post: JesusHChrist