Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 16, 2024, 11:55 am

Poll: Does Universal/Absolute Truth exist?
This poll is closed.
Yes
87.50%
7 87.50%
No
12.50%
1 12.50%
Total 8 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
For Theists only: Do you believe in Absolute/Universal truth?
For Theists only: Do you believe in Absolute/Universal truth?
Hello!
By this I mean do you believe truths exist that are ALWAYS true regardless of time, location, or circumstance? I don't intend to challenge any belief in this thread... I am simply taking note of them and categorizing them statistically.

Universal/Absolute truth would imply the existence of God, as it goes beyond chemical reaction and matter. It is a spiritual concept, for instance "thou shalt do no murder" would be considered by a theist to be universally/absolutely true. "For God so loved the world" would be another truth they recognize as universal.

So do you as a Theist believe in a spiritual concept, or do you believe absolute/universal truth does not exist?

When you vote, please offer your thoughts as well, and thank you very much!
Do you recall what was revealed the day the music died?
RE: For Theists only: Do you believe in Absolute/Universal truth?
Pretty sure just using us for data collection and not engaging in discussion isn't really kosher.
In every country and every age, the priest had been hostile to Liberty.
- Thomas Jefferson
(October 30, 2014 at 6:40 pm)FatAndFaithless Wrote: Pretty sure just using us for data collection and not engaging in discussion isn't really kosher.

I never said I wasn't engaging you in discussion. I simply said I would not challenge your belief in this thread. I am engaging you in discussion as I type Wink

Welcome!
Quote:It is a spiritual concept, for instance "thou shalt do no murder" would be considered by a theist to be universally/absolutely true.

Really? Ever heard of the Crusades? Or 9-11.
We cant hold everyone responsible for leadership corruption. For instance we cant say every American is responsible for the million or more civilians killed in Iraq since the invasion.

We are talking about what is recognized as being true in concept as a whole. That's all.
(October 30, 2014 at 7:43 pm)Tsun Tsu Wrote: We cant hold everyone responsible for leadership corruption.

Of course not... ever heard of the book of Joshua?

They started it!
The truths of mathematics are absolute. The propositions of logic are universal. Certain axioms are also absolute: out of nothing, nothing comes; there is no substance without a form, etc.
(October 30, 2014 at 8:23 pm)pocaracas Wrote:
(October 30, 2014 at 7:43 pm)Tsun Tsu Wrote: We cant hold everyone responsible for leadership corruption.

Of course not... ever heard of the book of Joshua?

They started it!

So youre not addressing the topic for what reason? Smile Do you believe rape is always wrong? Do you believe it is sometimes Good?
I guess I don't understand what a spiritual concept is pertaining to truth apart from universal truth.
You can't have both false and true at the same time.
The traffic signal is either green, caution or red.
(October 30, 2014 at 10:04 pm)professor Wrote: I guess I don't understand what a spiritual concept is pertaining to truth apart from universal truth.
You can't have both false and true at the same time.
The traffic signal is either green, caution or red.

Some people have believed rape to be acceptable at least to them. Some communities have thought so. To them it is a truth that its "ok" or even "good". You also have a HIGHER truth that says it is wrong regardless of opinion, making THIS group finding it "ok", wrong.

So do you agree that for the group that rapes, rape is good, or do you find a higher truth that simply says they are wrong, and your social standard AGAINST rape is RIGHT?

(October 30, 2014 at 8:24 pm)ChadWooters Wrote: The truths of mathematics are absolute. The propositions of logic are universal. Certain axioms are also absolute: out of nothing, nothing comes; there is no substance without a form, etc.

Speaking of absolutes then... do you believe rape to be absolutely wrong universally?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What do you believe in that hasnt been proven to exist? goombah111 197 23691 March 5, 2021 at 6:47 am
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Theists: how do you account for psychopaths? robvalue 288 39858 March 5, 2021 at 6:37 am
  Theists: What do you mean when you say that God is 'perfect'? Angrboda 103 16943 March 5, 2021 at 6:35 am
  Why you all need others, to believe? LastPoet 24 3810 December 26, 2019 at 10:09 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  We can only see 4% of the universe ! WinterHold 25 2827 January 30, 2019 at 1:25 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  Ways to Get Into Heaven! Or Whatever You Believe in! Jade-Green Stone 14 2516 January 24, 2019 at 2:54 pm
Last Post: deanabiepepler
  Nuns are not only Christians Indir 24 2671 October 23, 2018 at 7:13 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Nuns are not only Christians Indir 1 494 October 19, 2018 at 8:48 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Theists, please describe how you experience your god I_am_not_mafia 161 16315 June 15, 2018 at 9:37 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Truth or swag? Angrboda 64 9393 June 4, 2018 at 3:08 am
Last Post: Whateverist