Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 12:02 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bridging the Divide Between Science and Religion
Bridging the Divide Between Science and Religion
In terms of how I've come to understand the origin and subsequent successes of a religion, the mystical experience always precedes the formulation or confirmation of the specific doctrinal beliefs. This is important to keep in mind.

Secularists often criticize religion as anti-scientific, and from this develop a conceptual framework in which science and religion are antithetical. Believers often object, directing the conversation to prominent thinkers of a religious bent or to their own personal triumph in compartmentalizing sacred creeds in such a way so as to avoid conflict with scientific insights about the nature of reality---and its continual display of antipathy towards our faith-based assumptions.

Religion addresses questions of meaning and value, certain gentlemen protest, offering resolutions most essential to man's basic ontological needs, resolutions that science in all its prestige and beauty can never be equipped to confront.

Yes and no.

Keeping in mind the first remarks, if the language used to describe mystical experiences is compared across religions of all stripes, more striking than the endless variations and mutually exclusive metaphysics are the similar themes in which mankind is depicted as a species cursed with inner conflicts and always seeking redemption for itself. Whether these faiths are monotheistic, pantheistic, atheistic, etc., the solution is in each case inevitably found in an alteration of a person's mental disposition. Whether stoic or epicurean, Christian or Buddhist, the answer centers around a single predominant issue: making sense of suffering.

To the extent that religion is understood as symbolic expression of fundamental states of consciousness, there is no conflict with the sciences, as the former is but an ancient language used to formulate the riddle and its solution (to the problem of suffering, inextricably connected to meaning and value), the latter a more descriptive and literal approach to understanding what that riddle actually is.

A Christian, for example, may find as much success in overcoming his or her tortured self as a Hindu, a feeling of boundless liberation from internal oppression and turmoil (which always determines the affect or strength of the turmoil) resulting from a serious commitment to the practice of their faith. The underlying principle, the need for projects that instill a sense of purpose and value within us, and the enlightenment achieved through sacrifice, says a lot about the character of humanity.

Only when religious symbolism is misunderstood to project direct (and often divine) light on objective states of the world, rather than simply revealing how individual interpretations of subjective interactions with the objective world can be useful--such as in creating an atmosphere that is conducive to resolving inner conflicts of the mind--does it infringe on the precision and objectivity of the scientific enterprise.

This happens quite a lot. A scientific understanding of religion demands a naturalistic account. That's not to deny the possibility of truth apart from a heuristic process, but it is to admit that knowledge can never be assured without a surgical examination of the wide-ranging possibilities presented by experience and its conceptual counterparts. To the extent that our reasoning is motivated by faith rather than a determination to make as few assumptions as possible about how we think nature ought to be, there is a genuine conflict with the methodologies demanded by science.

To summarize, both secularists and believers would benefit from taking religion more seriously. This amounts to recognizing the commonalities found along the spectrum of spiritual practice and their potentially beneficial relationship to our psychological needs. In formulating a philosophically fruitful and possibly scientific understanding, we might re-interpret a doctrine such as eternal life to coincide the basic fact that every material composing a living human being is as old as the Universe itself, and even after death, will be recycled in the perpetual creation and destruction of forthcoming objects. You literally possess constituents that fundamentally never decay. At this very moment, you may be inhaling a remnant of both Plato and Beethoven. While far-fetched, this example merely demonstrates that, through a scientific understanding of nature, we can and ought to revise ancient perspectives to the extent that we wish to feel entitled to their objective use. That is what is meant by contact with reality.

The universe is mysterious and grand. To surrender our intellects at the expense of tradition, rather than elevate traditional insights as our vision of an ever-expansive and perplexing world develops, is to cheapen both science and religion.
He who loves God cannot endeavour that God should love him in return - Baruch Spinoza
RE: Bridging the Divide Between Science and Religion
Have your posts gotten more.... Wordy or is someone else been posting for you?
So, long story short, I guess you're saying those seeking religious/spiritual/etc truths would do well to keep that separate from science. They need not conflict - unless you insist on a connection that just isn't there. If xtians could just be more modest in their claims and a little humble they could do a hell of a lot better.
(November 10, 2014 at 11:26 pm)Drich Wrote: Have your posts gotten more.... Wordy or is someone else been posting for you?
Just me. Change in style or elucidation may depend on whether I'm typing on my phone or at my computer, time of day, stoned or sober, and what book I'm currently reading. And the particular evil spirits that enter inside of me. :-)
Muwahaha.
He who loves God cannot endeavour that God should love him in return - Baruch Spinoza

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Proof and evidence will always equal Science zwanzig 103 6654 December 17, 2021 at 5:31 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
  The Difference between Atheists and Churchoids! theMadJW 41 3401 May 5, 2020 at 9:06 am
Last Post: AniKoferBo
Smile Interesting correlation between God and light in major world religions... Ajay0 17 1846 May 24, 2019 at 4:10 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  The Possible Connection Between Egyptian Religion And FSM BrianSoddingBoru4 6 1148 December 10, 2017 at 11:42 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Religion and Science are 1000% Opposite causal code 497 104806 October 25, 2017 at 8:04 am
Last Post: I_am_not_mafia
  Religion and Science are 1000% Opposite causal code 0 450 September 13, 2017 at 1:48 am
Last Post: causal code
  The Difference Between the Higgs Boson and Go Rhondazvous 12 3689 July 18, 2017 at 8:51 pm
Last Post: Rhondazvous
  Religion hurts homosexuality but homosexuality kills religion? RozKek 43 10717 March 30, 2016 at 2:46 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Terrorism has no religion but religion brings terrorism. Islam is NOT peaceful. bussta33 13 4905 January 16, 2016 at 8:25 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Debate between me, myself and I! Mystic 22 5307 January 4, 2016 at 3:47 pm
Last Post: CapnAwesome