Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 1:24 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Debate between me, myself and I!
Debate between me, myself and I!
You know what. Apophenia said something important. If people don't refute my reasoning or provide insufficient reasoning for their position, it's not sufficient for me to conclude their position is wrong.

At the end, my experience is people tend to not understand what I'm saying or at least give the impression they don't. And we don't get far in the discussion.

This thread will be about debating between myself about this issue.

You guys are welcome to comment but I will not be debating with people on this thread. Rather I will be debating with myself.

If there is no God, how would I know I am deluded about him? How can I attain certainty that there is no way to know him?

If there is a God, how would I know I truly am justified in believing in in it? What what her identity be and how would I know it?

Would this God communicate to us at all? Are there good reasons to believe he would guide us by appointed guides? How can we recognize such a communication if possible?

Are there good reasons to believe if God exists, she would not communicate to us? Are there good reasons to believe she has not communicated to us?

If I am deluded about God's existence, am I deluded about other things that are essential to me, and included but are not limited to human value, goodness, praise, greatness, perpetual identity and free-will?

People are welcome again to comment on what I write, but I will debating between myself.
RE: Debate between me, myself and I!
MK, you're still arguing with yourself using false logic.

You're entertaining the idea of no god but cannot comprehend that our morality is not inextricably linked to said possibly non existent god.

Mate, there is no right or wrong.
Are people trying to kill you, have you scammed people out of money?
Do people hate you?

If the answer is no, then you are just doing what all us atheists are doing.
You are just doing what instinctively feels right.... No god necessary.

PS, even your SIG is fallacious! I don't think you are capable of having a 2 sided discussion with yourself.
Take care.
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
GOOD LUCK TO YOU ALL!!!
You're reasoning doesn't make any since what so ever.
I really hate to say this but study the way how Dirch and the
others write out their stuff. Also keep your thoughts short instead of a
all of text.
Atheism is a non-prophet organization join today. 

Code:
<iframe width="100%" height="450" scrolling="no" frameborder="no" src="https://w.soundcloud.com/player/?url=https%3A//api.soundcloud.com/tracks/255506953&amp;auto_play=false&amp;hide_related=false&amp;show_comments=true&amp;show_user=true&amp;show_reposts=false&amp;visual=true"></iframe>
Me and my big mouth.
[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
(January 2, 2016 at 9:30 pm)Jörmungandr Wrote: Me and my big mouth.

Hey, Jorgy, is that you in your new avatar?  You're a hotty.
The first issue is how would I know I am deluded.

A person can ask "How can explain you know God exists?"

Not being able to answer that, would that be reason to believe I am deluded? The answer is no from my perspective. Although I do have an explanation, this is besides the point. For example, a child may believe in praise, value, and goodness, and be justified to do so. He however cannot explain how he knows, but just that he does.

Not having an adequate explanation is not proof that you don't know God exists.

However, I would say the strength of your belief should coincide with other properly basic beliefs. However, I don't know what argument there is to prove that. 

What can be countered (that our properly basic beliefs ought to be same in power) is that often humans find strength in beliefs they feel they need most. Morals we have to function with will seem stronger then morals we can function without seemingly with no huge consequence in society at least apparent to us.

Therefore it may be true or may not be true that the God belief should be as strong as other properly basic beliefs that are strong for it be a warranted belief.

The 2nd question is "doubt" time to time, sufficient reason to dismiss such a belief as warranted and justified (knowledge)?

If doubt is always reasonable, then perhaps this is true. But if doubt can be unreasonable thing to have regarding certain beliefs, perhaps we shouldn't pay attention to it.

Having it or not, can be for reasonable or unreasonable reasons. Or it can be an evil thought trying to misguide us, just as we can get evil thoughts to do evil actions time to time.

So this seems rather a complicated issue. How does one know one is deluded? Perhaps the best bet is to search for evidence or arguments or proofs against that belief. But even then, if our belief was justified, it can always be our inability to reason our way correctly with regards to that evidence and arguments. Never the less, I believe we should test our faith with such arguments.
To me, God might be there, he or she might not be there. It doesn't affect me. I live my life as if there is no God. Live righteous so that in the end nothing can question you regardless of God being there or not. I don't think someone like that has time to look at our lives considering the size of the observable universe.
"No one saves us but ourselves. No one can and no one may. We ourselves must walk the path" - Gautama Buddha
It be the only person who would listen or take you seriously.
"For the only way to eternal glory is a life lived in service of our Lord, FSM; Verily it is FSM who is the perfect being the name higher than all names, king of all kings and will bestow upon us all, one day, The great reclaiming"  -The Prophet Boiardi-

Conservative trigger warning.
[Image: s-l640.jpg]

I think if you got everyone to vote for a winner, you'd still lose.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The Difference between Atheists and Churchoids! theMadJW 41 3330 May 5, 2020 at 9:06 am
Last Post: AniKoferBo
Smile Interesting correlation between God and light in major world religions... Ajay0 17 1816 May 24, 2019 at 4:10 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Religious debate via Meme Foxaèr 324 53358 November 12, 2018 at 1:24 pm
Last Post: Mystic
  Debate: God & Morality: William Lane Craig vs Erik Wielenberg Jehanne 16 3350 March 2, 2018 at 8:06 pm
Last Post: Amarok
  The Possible Connection Between Egyptian Religion And FSM BrianSoddingBoru4 6 1133 December 10, 2017 at 11:42 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  The Difference Between the Higgs Boson and Go Rhondazvous 12 3652 July 18, 2017 at 8:51 pm
Last Post: Rhondazvous
  Debate: God Exists Azu 339 54783 March 31, 2017 at 3:53 pm
Last Post: pocaracas
  MODERATORS!!! Can you give myself and Drich ….. 21stCenturyIconoclast 81 9869 January 14, 2017 at 12:23 am
Last Post: Godscreated
  Should we be following scholars debate. Mystic 14 3230 March 23, 2016 at 1:04 am
Last Post: The Atheist
  The difference between a chocolate rabbit and a human? ReptilianPeon 7 3816 August 22, 2015 at 6:33 pm
Last Post: Cyberman