Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 1:24 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Difference Between the Higgs Boson and Go
The Difference Between the Higgs Boson and Go
Scientist detest the idea of calling the higgs boson the “god particle.”

God and this boson seem to be similar on the surface. Scientists proclaimed the existence of this boson long before they had any direct proof. Also, the Standard model requires that particles be massless. The higgs boson does not have this requirement.

So it seems valid to call the higgs boson the god particle. But there’s one important difference.

While the observable universe required that the higgs boson exist and scientist spent decades searching for it, I feel no compulsion to look for the god of the bible who created the grass and the trees before he created the sun and the moon.

The higgs boson doesn’t give other particles mass, since mass cannot be created. When the higgs boson touches another particle, the interaction cause that particle to have mass. A better understanding will have to come from someone else, not me.

But I do understand that, unlike god, the higgs boson is not burdened by a long list of reasons why it can’t exist.

Note to moderators: You may feel this thread belongs in the physical science section. I put it here because it seems to belong in both, so it was a toss up.
The god who allows children to be raped out of respect for the free will choice of the rapist, but punishes gay men for engaging in mutually consensual sex couldn't possibly be responsible for an intelligently designed universe.

I may defend your right to free speech, but i won't help you pass out flyers.

Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.
--Voltaire

Nietzsche isn't dead. How do I know he lives? He lives in my mind.
RE: The Difference Between the Higgs Boson and Go
(July 16, 2017 at 8:58 pm)Rhondazvous Wrote: Scientist detest the idea of calling the higgs boson the “god particle.”

God and this boson seem to be similar on the surface. Scientists proclaimed the existence of this boson long before they had any direct proof. Also, the Standard model requires that particles be massless. The higgs boson does not have this requirement.

So it seems valid to call the higgs boson the god particle. But there’s one important difference.

While the observable universe required that the higgs boson exist and scientist spent decades searching for it, I feel no compulsion to look for the god of the bible who created the grass and the trees before he created the sun and the moon.

The higgs boson doesn’t give other particles mass, since mass cannot be created. When the higgs boson touches another particle, the interaction cause that particle to have mass.  A better understanding will have to come from someone else, not me.

But I do understand that, unlike god,  the higgs boson is not burdened by a long list of reasons why it can’t exist.

Note to moderators: You may feel this thread belongs in the physical science section. I put it here because it seems to belong in both, so it was a toss up.

No, it doesn’t belong anywhere. It's a waste of keyboard ink.
It's amazing 'science' always seems to 'find' whatever it is funded for, and never the oppsite. Drich.
Lots of stuff was postulated by effect before it was confirmed .And we been over this already .
Seek strength, not to be greater than my brother, but to fight my greatest enemy -- myself.

Inuit Proverb

The higgs boson exists. It also has nothing against shrimp, poly blend cloth, or the canaanites. I'm not really sure how you arrived at the validity, above...but to each their own I guess. What's in a name anyway, amiright?
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
Wasn't it originally the "goddamn particle", because it was so elusive?
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
(July 16, 2017 at 11:00 pm)Khemikal Wrote: The higgs boson exists. It also has nothing against shrimp, poly blend cloth, or the canaanites.  I'm not really sure how you arrived at the validity, above...but to each their own I guess.  What's in a name anyway, amiright?
Of what validity do you speak? I could understand a theist disagreeing with my op. But with you, I think we're just not understanding each other. Talk to me.
The god who allows children to be raped out of respect for the free will choice of the rapist, but punishes gay men for engaging in mutually consensual sex couldn't possibly be responsible for an intelligently designed universe.

--Voltaire

When you mentioned, in the OP, that it seemed "valid" to call the higgs boson the god particle.  Naming something isn't really an issue of validity, we don't call a rose a rose because it's "valid", validity is non-applicable to such nomenclature.  It's not some sort of rule of inference...and if it were, I'm wondering what rule of inference it would be. How does one establish that some particle is the "god" particle, as opposed to simply naming it that? There seems to be nothing at all similar about particles and gods. It's use as such is a creative euphemism, but also a category error. It's not a god at all.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
I wish there were something other than language to express ideas.

I used the word "seem" in an effort to show that I do not think it is valid. I read that some people call it the god particle and tried to come up with two reasons why they might do so. Then notice I offer my own reason why the higgs boson is different from god meaning that calling it the god particle is NOT valid. By valid, I don't mean true. I only mean that some people have their reasons and it SEEMS valid to them.

--Voltaire

Ah, I still don't think it's anything more than a catchy name, honestly.  The terms "seems" and "validity" are sort of cross purpose. It's the Higgs Boson, but most people don't hear higgs boson and think "oh, that sounds interesting, I gotta read about some of that".
(July 17, 2017 at 12:56 pm)Khemikal Wrote: Ah, I still don't think it's anything more than a catchy name, honestly.  The terms "seems" and "validity" are sort of cross purpose.  It's the Higgs Boson, but most people don't hear higgs boson and think "oh, that sounds interesting, I gotta read about some of that".
I've heard from at least two people who read my first book and found bosons of any kind interesting now that they know about them. I'm not bragging. I'm just saying.

--Voltaire

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The Difference between Atheists and Churchoids! theMadJW 41 3407 May 5, 2020 at 9:06 am
Last Post: AniKoferBo
Smile Interesting correlation between God and light in major world religions... Ajay0 17 1850 May 24, 2019 at 4:10 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  The Possible Connection Between Egyptian Religion And FSM BrianSoddingBoru4 6 1149 December 10, 2017 at 11:42 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Debate between me, myself and I! Mystic 22 5313 January 4, 2016 at 3:47 pm
Last Post: CapnAwesome
  The difference between a chocolate rabbit and a human? ReptilianPeon 7 3836 August 22, 2015 at 6:33 pm
Last Post: Cyberman
  No conflict between faith and science, eh? The Reality Salesman01 37 10246 May 22, 2015 at 12:14 pm
Last Post: The Reality Salesman01
  The connection between Catholic priests and Muhammadan pedo gangs? ReptilianPeon 18 6484 May 17, 2015 at 12:10 pm
  Bridging the Divide Between Science and Religion Mudhammam 3 1832 November 11, 2014 at 1:59 am
Last Post: Mudhammam
  Whats the difference between a cult and a religion? Zidneya 74 21794 May 24, 2014 at 9:08 pm
Last Post: Zidneya
  Is there really much difference? Polaris 5 1832 July 3, 2013 at 2:14 am