Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 5:59 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How do you feel
How do you feel
Knowing that Christianity is on the decline world wide. Does it hurt or you just really don't care. I'm pretty happy, but how do you feel knowing people are stopping believing the mystical sky god of thunder. oh sorry i mean god.
Atheism is a non-prophet organization join today. 

Code:
<iframe width="100%" height="450" scrolling="no" frameborder="no" src="https://w.soundcloud.com/player/?url=https%3A//api.soundcloud.com/tracks/255506953&amp;auto_play=false&amp;hide_related=false&amp;show_comments=true&amp;show_user=true&amp;show_reposts=false&amp;visual=true"></iframe>
RE: How do you feel
Dodgy
In every country and every age, the priest had been hostile to Liberty.
- Thomas Jefferson
But if God is on the decline, who will save us from Natural disasters..... oh wait, no one does anyway.
But who will feed the starving children in Africa ...... oh wait, no one does anyway.
Well, who can we trust to health the sick .... oh right, doctors.

Nevermind, I guess we'll just have to keep doing these things on our own.
(November 17, 2014 at 11:30 am)dyresand Wrote: Knowing that Christianity is on the decline world wide. Does it hurt or you just really don't care. I'm pretty happy, but how do you feel knowing people are stopping believing the mystical sky god of thunder. oh sorry i mean god.

It depends on what Christianity gets replaced by, if it's hardcore Islam then I'd rather stick with the bland, vague, politically correct version of Christianity that is prevalent around me. The kind where you don't have to do what god says in the bible because he will probably just forgive you anyway.

Are you ready for the fire? We are firemen. WE ARE FIREMEN! The heat doesn’t bother us. We live in the heat. We train in the heat. It tells us that we’re ready, we’re at home, we’re where we’re supposed to be. Flames don’t intimidate us. What do we do? We control the flame. We control them. We move the flames where we want to. And then we extinguish them.

Impersonation is treason.

Generally speaking? Utterly overjoyed.
(November 17, 2014 at 11:30 am)dyresand Wrote: Knowing that Christianity is on the decline world wide. Does it hurt or you just really don't care. I'm pretty happy, but how do you feel knowing people are stopping believing the mystical sky god of thunder. oh sorry i mean god.

Um not so fast. Right now because of mass media, it certainly makes it harder for bad claims of any kind on any issue to be scrutiny free. But in our species history power shifts have always ebbed and flowed and have never been an absolute indicator. You look at how close countries like Iran and Afghanistan came to being westernized in the 60s to what we see now, it is no given that this trend will continue.

I will say however we certainly can push to make it grow with our own voices. But no one can say for sure what the borders or political parties or religions will look like 10,000 years from now, if we manage not to kill ourselves off from war or pollution or get hit by a meteor.

I am thrilled how big the skeptic/atheist voice has gotten since 01, that part I can say. I am seeing more and more atheists on national news and cable news and we own social media right now.
(November 17, 2014 at 12:30 pm)Brian37 Wrote: You look at how close countries like Iran and Afghanistan came to being westernized in the 60s to what we see now, it is no given that this trend will continue.

Only at the surface and only amongst the ruling classes of the time.

The Shah didn't give one shit to educate his people or to create an open society.

I don't know as much about Afghanistan other than the fact that Hippies used to ravel there to smoke some dope, but here's a series of pictures that are pretty telling in more than one sense. The ordinary people on the streets look just the same as they do now.

http://www.theatlantic.com/infocus/2013/...0s/100544/
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]
I'm a bit worried that islam is on the rise. It seems to be filling the gap that christianity leaves behind. It's hard to be happy that christianity is declining when another religion that's at least as bad as it ever was is replacing it.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

Personally, I find it really sad.

(November 17, 2014 at 12:38 pm)Chad32 Wrote: I'm a bit worried that islam is on the rise. It seems to be filling the gap that christianity leaves behind. It's hard to be happy that christianity is declining when another religion that's at least as bad as it ever was is replacing it.

I am not, I am more worried about some nut shooting of a nuke. But outside their governments, our planet is in no danger of becoming all fundy Islam. China will never be, Russia will never be, Japan will never be. And no, America will never be.

Not even Iran or Saudi Arabia have enough weapons as governments to do anything but conduct a local beef and even our economic enemies like China and Russia would fight a Islamic invasion.

Worry more about a nuclear war from Iran or North Korea, be even with what would be left over, the east would get hurt far worse and what would be left in the wake would be easily split up by non Muslim factions.

I'd worry more about lone wolfs than entire Islamic states and even then it wont get past being anything more than pest, annoying pest and deadly pest, but no, the west is in no danger of being overthrown by Islam.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Does everyone else feel dizzy from the lights in Church? Der/die AtheistIn 15 2382 December 11, 2017 at 6:34 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Moderates make me feel happy Der/die AtheistIn 9 1984 December 10, 2017 at 8:28 am
Last Post: Der/die AtheistIn
  Why I feel Stuck in Christianity themonkeyman 50 15644 August 13, 2013 at 7:31 am
Last Post: ITChick
  Why do you think atheists feel judged by Christians WhatIfGodWasJustAMyth 45 20400 April 1, 2012 at 2:19 pm
Last Post: WhatIfGodWasJustAMyth
  Why do some Christians feel the need to lie? reverendjeremiah 15 8076 January 2, 2012 at 4:22 am
Last Post: Aegrus
  Is this guy gonna feel foolish on may 22nd downbeatplumb 46 17392 May 20, 2011 at 3:55 pm
Last Post: Doubting Thomas