Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 3:16 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Best Atheist Books
Best Atheist Books
Which books would you most recommend that offer a well-argued case for atheism?
RE: Best Atheist Books
The God Delusion has its moments, though for the most part it's the ramblings of a biologist who thinks he is beyond his station. In the other moments, Dawkins just uses arguments that have been drawn up before by previous philosophers, so it's more of an expanded reference guide that anything.

God is not Great is a better book, seeing as Hitchens actually knows what he is talking about.

50 Reasons People Give For Believing in God by Guy P. Harrison is another pretty good book.
All works of science.
"I'm like a rabbit suddenly trapped, in the blinding headlights of vacuous crap" - Tim Minchin in "Storm"
Christianity is perfect bullshit, christians are not - Purple Rabbit, honouring CS Lewis
Faith is illogical - fr0d0
I'd have to recommend Lord Russell's "Why I am Not a Christian." It's certainly a well-argued case with surprisingly little emotion (this may make it dry, but it certainly makes it unlikely for a Christian to claim that he's just using emotional tactics). In any case, this work by one of the greatest minds of the last century is certainly what made me first self-identify as an atheist.
Comparing the Universal Oneness of All Life to Yo Mama since 2010.

[Image: harmlesskitchen.png]

I was born with the gift of laughter and a sense the world is mad.
The Portable Atheist, selected by Hitchens. Pretty hefty book with a huge variety of authors featured as well as multiple styles (Letters, poems, quotes, essays, etc). It's cool.

I'm also working on In Defense of Atheism and it seems nifty THUS FAR
[Image: Canadatheist3copy.jpg?t=1270015625]
I like the irony in the title of "The Portable Atheist".
I'm not really portable with my 78 kg for one.
"I'm like a rabbit suddenly trapped, in the blinding headlights of vacuous crap" - Tim Minchin in "Storm"
Christianity is perfect bullshit, christians are not - Purple Rabbit, honouring CS Lewis
Faith is illogical - fr0d0
I think they meant portable by truck?
[Image: Canadatheist3copy.jpg?t=1270015625]
(February 13, 2010 at 1:18 pm)lukec Wrote: The Portable Atheist, selected by Hitchens. Pretty hefty book with a huge variety of authors featured as well as multiple styles (Letters, poems, quotes, essays, etc). It's cool.

I'm also working on In Defense of Atheism and it seems nifty THUS FAR

I agree, The Portable Atheist is a good book. I am not a fan of Hitchens' atheist writings. He is much too bitter.

I did like Dan Barker's Losing Faith in Faith.
"On Earth as it is in Heaven, the Cosmic Roots of the Bible" available on the Amazon.
The Demon Haunted World by Carl Sagan

It's a skeptical book, but I think it's very applicable to atheism.
"The way to see by faith is to shut the eye of reason." Benjamin Franklin

::Blogs:: Boston Atheism Examiner - Boston Atheists Blog | :Tongueodcast:: Boston Atheists Report

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Books regarding atheism TrustMeOrNot 81 6796 November 24, 2019 at 8:14 pm
Last Post: Tom Fearnley
  Who do you think is best atheist of our times? GGG 70 7339 January 22, 2019 at 10:19 am
Last Post: GGG
  Who is/was the Best Atheist Spokesman? stretch3172 15 2686 March 29, 2018 at 8:08 pm
Last Post: chimp3
  Are there any scientific books or studies that explain what makes a person religious? WisdomOfTheTrees 13 2566 February 9, 2017 at 2:33 am
Last Post: Mirek-Polska
  Holy books on trial mcolafson 7 1564 September 29, 2016 at 11:03 pm
Last Post: CWoods
  Favorite Atheist books? TrueChristian 15 4135 December 31, 2015 at 1:24 am
Last Post: maestroanth
  Best Reason to be an Atheist: Spooky 32 7335 January 19, 2015 at 5:53 pm
Last Post: dyresand
  Do we need more Atheist books for kids? process613 43 7527 November 30, 2014 at 4:14 am
Last Post: fr0d0
  Books on dealing with suffering rybak303 14 7698 April 20, 2014 at 5:54 am
Last Post: Fidel_Castronaut
  Respectable books on apologetics? simpleinterest 35 7527 April 17, 2014 at 7:39 pm
Last Post: Cato