Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 18, 2024, 10:56 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"It was totally a God thing."
"It was totally a God thing."
Maybe it's because I'm more sensitive to it now, but I notice this sort of language with just about anything that happens to anyone ever. I'm sure most of you know what I'm talking about.

Things like "My brother in law ended up in the hospital, but it was totally a God thing because we are going on vacation, so my wife doesn't have to worry as much." That was actually said to me and all I feel like I can do is smile and nod.

Is there ever an appropriate time to say "You realize how stupid that sounds, right?"
"Never be a spectator of unfairness or stupidity. Seek out argument and disputation for their own sake; the grave will provide plenty of time for silence." -Christopher Hitchens
RE: "It was totally a God thing."
I have no idea what that's even supposed to mean. A God thing?

Sure, God just can't lose. Something good happens, it was God. Something bad happens, it's God testing us or it's our fault because someone ate an apple. Everyone gets killed except one person in a town, it's a miracle. They all get killed, it's part of his plan.

Talk about a cushy job.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
(December 3, 2014 at 4:01 am)Bboppinb Wrote: Is there ever an appropriate time to say "You realize how stupid that sounds, right?"

Not only would your proposed reply have been appropriate, but "fucking stupid" would be warranted.
It should be whenever somebody says that kind of thing. My personal opinion is that everybody is stupid in some way so I don't understand why they get offended when I call them fucking retarded.
Yeah, if I started spouting utter nonsense I'd like it if someone pulled me up on it.

I'm working on a new dictionary definition for religion:

"A socially acceptable delusion"
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
I live in "blessed" territory. Perhaps it's not as bad as "totally a God thing", but it has long passed the point of irritation. It happens all over. I don't care whether it's at the grocery store, a retail shop, a doctor's office, wherever.

"Have a blessed day!" "Have a blessed afternoon!" "Well, aren't you just blessed!"

I don't know when "have a nice day" dropped out of fashion in these parts, but I sure as hell wish it would come back.
(December 3, 2014 at 4:01 am)Bboppinb Wrote: Maybe it's because I'm more sensitive to it now, but I notice this sort of language with just about anything that happens to anyone ever. I'm sure most of you know what I'm talking about.

Things like "My brother in law ended up in the hospital, but it was totally a God thing because we are going on vacation, so my wife doesn't have to worry as much." That was actually said to me and all I feel like I can do is smile and nod.

Is there ever an appropriate time to say "You realize how stupid that sounds, right?"

Yeah. Right after they say it.
(December 3, 2014 at 9:08 pm)Strider Wrote: "Have a blessed day!" "Have a blessed afternoon!" "Well, aren't you just blessed!"

I find that I'm able to avoid these people if I don't leave my house. Works great!
(December 3, 2014 at 9:08 pm)Strider Wrote: "Have a blessed day!" "Have a blessed afternoon!" "Well, aren't you just blessed!"

As much as I abhor violence, some people just need to have the stupid slapped out of them.
All the time, this shit. I got a promotion at work recently, and I texted my mom the news, and she texted back PGFWABF. I looked it up, and it means "Praise God from whom all blessings flow." I have generally allowed my parents to say shit like "we're praying for you" and "God is great," etc without responding. But I blew up on her. How disrespectful is that shit? Praise god for my promotion? How about, "You worked really hard, you deserve it." Fuck that shit.
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The best thing about ____________ ( fill in blank) onlinebiker 3 301 March 13, 2022 at 12:45 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  I just found the coolest thing on the planet The Valkyrie 5 549 July 14, 2021 at 7:08 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  One thing I hate about the human language. Brian37 13 1100 June 25, 2021 at 11:19 pm
Last Post: Ranjr
  The good thing about being forgetful and bills.... Brian37 13 681 July 25, 2020 at 1:08 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
  My cat is the weirdest thing Foxaèr 17 1762 October 9, 2018 at 8:18 am
Last Post: Mermaid
  Say the nicest thing about the user above. Mystic 26 1833 October 7, 2018 at 6:24 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  The biggest thing I've learned as I've got older is... robvalue 80 4891 September 27, 2018 at 12:17 am
Last Post: Hobbitgirl
  The totally obnoxious, desperate, almost loving, Rep Whore thread The Valkyrie 265 25656 June 18, 2018 at 1:30 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  The best thing about being dead is ... Gawdzilla Sama 17 1444 June 15, 2018 at 5:19 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  One Thing In Fiction That Always Causes Me To Facepalm Amarok 23 3971 May 1, 2018 at 10:59 pm
Last Post: KevinM1