Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 7:20 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Prayer: Biggest Hope and The Biggest Disappointment
Prayer: Biggest Hope and The Biggest Disappointment
I have extremely vivid memories of prayer. I owe many memories to prayer. It was a practice during fun times, sad times, and sacred times. It was even something to do just because or because as a Mormon, I should always have a "prayer in my heart."

Man, was I great prayer. I had absolutely lived it to a T. I prayed morning and night, on the way to work, to school, before tests, after tests, before sports matches, after sports matches, when seeing someone in need, at church...just whenever, where ever.

I don't mean to be arrogant but I was very, very good at praying...which is a huge part to blame for my disbelief.

Besides two events which are probably most definable as dissociation due to sever mental strife, all my time in prayer there was NEVER an exalting or elevated feeling. I felt no spirit. I saw no angels. And silly Jeebus and his Daddy never came down to see me.

If prayer worked, healed me of my mental health, healed me of my physical limitations and diseases, made me feel like I "knew" some "god"...then I would not be an atheist.

Sometimes it hurts to think about how much hope I placed into prayer and how much a disappointment it became. A lot of my insecurities came from prayer and my "oh poor me, victim me" was just perpetuated through it. It prevented me from becoming an autonomous individual.

I literally thought: God will do the work for me, just how everyone says "if it weren't for God I would be who I am, have what I have, and be happy like I am happy."

God was supposed to make me better, make me feel better, and give me cool shit, man. But nothing...

Though it's been a difficult 12 months...I am finally learning the importance of self advocacy and self soothing techniques.

I pray to myself, now...well, when I manage to. I tell myself "I am safe, I am calm, and I am in control of the situation."

I praise my body, my vessel, my "temple." I say to myself "I love me, I love myself though I am a little chubby. This body has carried my crazy mind for 21 years, has allowed me to play sports, be active, and work."

I thank myself all the time: "hey self, thanks for waking up today and being kind to yourself. Way to go man."

I comfort myself: "self, it's going to be okay. Just focus on the task for the next thirty minutes. All is well, all will be well."

All this is still difficult to do, but so important. I never learned to do this naturally since I was so focused on a higher power that was supposed to do this for me. Luckily, after some time and more healing, I hope to be an independent, self sufficient being.

So yes, prayer was a depressing disappointment, but there is a better method...glad psychology exists to identify these methods.
"Just call me Bruce Wayne. I'd rather be Batman."
RE: Prayer: Biggest Hope and The Biggest Disappointment
well i prayed for answers as to god are you real can you hear me can you do something. <- one of the reasons tacked onto why i became a atheists so quickly. Prayed no answer tried again no answer gives up religion.
Atheism is a non-prophet organization join today. 

Code:
<iframe width="100%" height="450" scrolling="no" frameborder="no" src="https://w.soundcloud.com/player/?url=https%3A//api.soundcloud.com/tracks/255506953&amp;auto_play=false&amp;hide_related=false&amp;show_comments=true&amp;show_user=true&amp;show_reposts=false&amp;visual=true"></iframe>
(December 9, 2014 at 11:39 pm)dyresand Wrote: well i prayed for answers as to god are you real can you hear me can you do something. <- one of the reasons tacked onto why i became a atheists so quickly. Prayed no answer tried again no answer gives up religion.

For real. "Just give me something!" haha. I'm glad someone understands this disappointment. Smile
"Just call me Bruce Wayne. I'd rather be Batman."
(December 9, 2014 at 11:49 pm)Quantum1Connect Wrote:
(December 9, 2014 at 11:39 pm)dyresand Wrote: well i prayed for answers as to god are you real can you hear me can you do something. <- one of the reasons tacked onto why i became a atheists so quickly. Prayed no answer tried again no answer gives up religion.

For real. "Just give me something!" haha. I'm glad someone understands this disappointment. Smile

Well lets through out the gods written by man what if god is a being we really know nothing about but just doesn't really care enough to bother to check in on us. Assuming there is one like the of course. But all in all i just wanted a sign that god was real and gotten nothing disappointed but felt kinda happy so no god means no hell. Big Grin
Atheism is a non-prophet organization join today. 

Code:
<iframe width="100%" height="450" scrolling="no" frameborder="no" src="https://w.soundcloud.com/player/?url=https%3A//api.soundcloud.com/tracks/255506953&amp;auto_play=false&amp;hide_related=false&amp;show_comments=true&amp;show_user=true&amp;show_reposts=false&amp;visual=true"></iframe>
(December 9, 2014 at 11:27 pm)Quantum1Connect Wrote: I have extremely vivid memories of prayer. I owe many memories to prayer. It was a practice during fun times, sad times, and sacred times. It was even something to do just because or because as a Mormon, I should always have a "prayer in my heart."

. . . .

If I may ask, have you seen the Tanner's book, The Changing World of Mormonism ??
(December 9, 2014 at 11:27 pm)Quantum1Connect Wrote: I don't mean to be arrogant but I was very, very good at praying.

In other words, you were really good on your knees. Wink Shades
It is very sad, the false hope people are given by prayer. It's also an excuse for God, it's OK if he messed everything up, just pray about it.

The fact that people still think there is anything more to it than placebo and confirmation bias is hard for my overly logical brain. But then, I can't imagine being raised in an environment where this was all treated as indisputable fact; I love to think I could see through it as easily as I can now from my high horse, but it's impossible to say.

Sorry you had to go through that, I think it's great to share these experiences as I'm sure many people can sympathise and realize they're not the only one. Im talking to you, lurkers Big Grin

We need a better name than lurkers, it sounds way too negative.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
WOW Q1C That was/is a tough journey. I encourage you to keep going down the path you are on. Mental health requires that we be "selfish" and take care of ourselves first and foremost.

I like your prayers to yourself! They are the only prayers that will be answered in a way that is healthy for you. And you will see a positive outcome the more you pray to yourself.

I am part of a support group for mental illness, and will borrow your idea of prayer to ourselves. Who knows, you might be helping more than just people that read this forum!

Way to go!
I find talking to myself helps a lot, too. I give myself pep talks, and also kind of thrash things out, playing devils advocate to myself. And I offer myself the sound advice I would give someone else in a similar situation. Hearing it all out loud helps me process it, somehow. Weird but true.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Power of Prayer and Fear of God mcolafson 33 5281 September 19, 2022 at 8:11 pm
Last Post: LadyForCamus
  Church of the atheists and prayer and supplication Eclectic 23 1929 September 19, 2022 at 2:34 pm
Last Post: Ranjr
  A prayer before dinner Denverguy 48 6566 October 1, 2019 at 10:29 pm
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  My biggest issue with theists DodosAreDead 73 11474 August 5, 2018 at 12:55 am
Last Post: Cyberman
  Prayer purplepurpose 94 15058 January 24, 2018 at 2:32 pm
Last Post: GodisintheTV
  Forced Prayer ScienceAf 33 6434 August 15, 2016 at 1:58 pm
Last Post: Faith No More
  whats the biggest reason you left christianity? Rextos 40 5355 July 31, 2016 at 6:18 pm
Last Post: robvalue
  Atheism "now world's third biggest 'faith'" madog 23 4676 July 30, 2016 at 6:38 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla
  Atheism and Hope prmptuscerus 62 6322 November 17, 2015 at 12:15 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Prayer to the God of Atheism Rhondazvous 21 3624 May 16, 2015 at 4:25 pm
Last Post: Rhondazvous