Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 7:13 am

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Power of Prayer and Fear of God
Power of Prayer and Fear of God
What can you pray for to your God?

You can pray for health of yourself and your family and other people you care about. You can pray for peace. You can pray for 1 billion dollars to come to your bank account.

But just a short while ago I read an article. Christians are admonished to pray for fear of God.
it is based on this bible quote.

Jer. 40 I will make an everlasting covenant with them: I will never stop doing good to them, and I will inspire them to fear me, so that they will never turn away from me.

It's very logical I think. As long as they will fear, they will tithe well.

---
ok. I go back to work.
RE: Power of Prayer and Fear of God
I pray for selective self destruction. I'm the only thing holding me back. Hehe
"Leave it to me to find a way to be,
Consider me a satellite forever orbiting,
I knew the rules but the rules did not know me, guaranteed." - Eddie Vedder
(October 11, 2016 at 6:54 am)mcolafson Wrote: What can you pray for to your God?

You can pray for health of yourself and your family and other people you care about. You can pray for peace. You can pray for 1 billion dollars to come to your bank account.

But just a short while ago I read an article. Christians are admonished to pray for fear of God.

Jer. 40 I will make an everlasting covenant with them: I will never stop doing good to them, and I will inspire them to fear me, so that they will never turn away from me.

---
ok. I go back to work.
I dont understand your question....
Looking at the definition of love from Corinthians, I just have to shake my head that people can have the contradictions of "God is love", "Love is all these non-fearful things", "Fear God" living side by side in their heads. Wtf?
"Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life." - Terry Pratchett
Pray for anything you want. There is no one listening.
God thinks it's fun to confuse primates. Larsen's God!

(October 11, 2016 at 6:54 am)mcolafson Wrote: What can you pray for to your God?

---
ok. I go back to work.
I guess you have to hit them at the symbolic level so then when it comes to serious matter they will follow.
Like I always say, pray in one hand and shit in the other, then see which fills up faster.
Christian apologetics is the art of rolling a dog turd in sugar and selling it as a donut.
You can only be filled with information when you open up.
"Leave it to me to find a way to be,
Consider me a satellite forever orbiting,
I knew the rules but the rules did not know me, guaranteed." - Eddie Vedder

---
ok. I go back to work.

Prayer is just wishful thinking. They can justify it however they want. There is no logical way a celestial being responsible for all the working of this universe has time to decipher the wishes and wants of those who pray and put them all into action. Even using the twisted logic of theists', the concept of prayer makes little sense.
From a christer perspective, about the only thing I think makes any sense to pray for would be understanding of His mysterious plan thing we keep hearing about.

Asking for specific things without detailed understanding of this "plan" would be nonsensical, right ?

Oh, Lord, there's a little newborn baby in Lesotho dying of a massive infection right now! Save him please !! AMEN and PRAISE JESUS !!!

But it turns out, according to the plan, while the parents are going to the funeral home to make arrangements, they run over an ACTUAL BLASPHEMER and kill him, and send him to his eternal torments in HELL !!!

Now, see how silly it is to pray for that little baby without knowing how that fits into the plan?

The only thing it would be sensible to pray for is understanding of the plan!! Anything else is just a shot in the dark, and likely to be ignored, or worse, it might PO God since you're actually trying to fuck up things he's already worked out.
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Church of the atheists and prayer and supplication Eclectic 23 1914 September 19, 2022 at 2:34 pm
Last Post: Ranjr
  A prayer before dinner Denverguy 48 6561 October 1, 2019 at 10:29 pm
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Help me not fear heaven/hell Fleeing Jesus 128 13346 June 18, 2019 at 5:08 am
Last Post: SenseMaker007
  Fear of letting go? SlowCalculations 18 2017 June 3, 2019 at 10:47 pm
Last Post: SlowCalculations
  There is a very good different argument about power. Mystic 12 2751 April 3, 2018 at 8:40 pm
Last Post: chimp3
  Fear of hell, advice please orthodox-man 120 24426 March 10, 2018 at 10:08 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Prayer purplepurpose 94 15024 January 24, 2018 at 2:32 pm
Last Post: GodisintheTV
  Fear purplepurpose 9 3299 September 6, 2017 at 9:08 pm
Last Post: Astonished
  I fear hell, and this article made things worse for me. What do you guys think? arda101 26 4690 February 5, 2017 at 7:38 am
Last Post: Autolite
  Love and Fear mcolafson 27 4990 September 18, 2016 at 5:38 pm
Last Post: mcolafson