Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 6, 2024, 9:04 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hello everyone
Hello everyone
My name is Lambert and this is my first post here. I used to frequent the Internet Infidels and kind of learned what atheist are all about.

So I am a Catholic and I always thought that they never become an atheist but just quit going to church. Does that make sense to anyone here?
RE: Hello everyone
No it doesn't make much sense to me. Atheists are people who don't believe in god. I am one. I'm sure there are people who believe in god but don't go to church too, but I don't much care.
If there is a god, I want to believe that there is a god.  If there is not a god, I want to believe that there is no god.
Welcome.

I was hoping for a Mormon, but you'll do nicely.

Hey ! How about them surplices and mitres ??
I don't agree with that. Nope.

Welcome!
[Image: dc52deee8e6b07186c04ff66a45fd204.jpg]
(December 24, 2014 at 12:31 am)Lambert Wrote: My name is Lambert and this is my first post here. I used to frequent the Internet Infidels and kind of learned what atheist are all about.

So I am a Catholic and I always thought that they never become an atheist but just quit going to church. Does that make sense to anyone here?

"Never" is a pretty strong term. I'm sure plenty of Catholics have abandoned the faith; I know three personally.

Anyway, welcome. I hung around IIDB for a little bit, until the meltdown. I bailed out to Daylight Atheism, then RantsnRaves until poor staffing shitted it up.

As for deCatholicifying oneself, seems like there is a list here of things you can do to get the bell, book, and candle routine, just can't find it right now.

Seems like as an atheist forum, that otta be pinned in the intro section, but it ain't.
Hey there welcome Smile

The thing is, "atheist" is just a definition; a description. Anyone who does not believe God claims are true, is an atheist. So the second a catholic stops believing, they are an atheist. There is no test, ritual or announcement necessary. They are also an atheist even if they describe themselves otherwise.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
Some people stop going to church, some people stop believing in god. These may or may not be the same people. Anywho, welcome to the forum. I've spent plenty of time in the Catholic Church...can't really say I enjoyed it but that's cool if you do. Have some welcome cookies.

(August 21, 2017 at 11:31 pm)KevinM1 Wrote: "I'm not a troll"
Religious Views: He gay

0/10

Hammy Wrote:and we also have a sheep on our bed underneath as well
Welcome!
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

Welcome aboard, Lambert.
What you describe sounds like what we call non-practicing Catholic.
That's the label that the priest gave me, when I married my wife...for bureaucratic purposes, seeing as I was baptized when I was 6 months old.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Smile Hello, everyone Rolls 21 1461 June 27, 2020 at 9:31 am
Last Post: Fireball
  Hello Everyone! Chicken 33 2194 December 25, 2018 at 10:57 pm
Last Post: Peebothuhlu
  Hello Everyone :) , { Just an ape trying to socialize } Enlightened Ape 31 5659 April 24, 2018 at 1:22 pm
Last Post: Enlightened Ape
Wink Hello Everyone! rskovride 15 1916 February 21, 2018 at 5:45 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  Hello Everyone Shai Hulud 32 7864 May 14, 2017 at 12:04 pm
Last Post: Shai Hulud
  Hello Everyone! Driggs 22 2625 April 12, 2017 at 10:29 pm
Last Post: c172
  Hello everyone account_inactive 25 3881 April 12, 2017 at 9:55 am
Last Post: Brian37
  Hello Everyone! Flavius 9 1271 March 30, 2017 at 6:54 pm
Last Post: TheoneandonlytrueGod
  Hello everyone Yoo 11 2397 August 29, 2016 at 12:11 pm