Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 8:49 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Atheists who preach religion and theists who preach atheism
Atheists who preach religion and theists who preach atheism
Have you ever heard of such people? If so, what would be your reasons for such people doing so?

One of the reasons for an atheist preaching religion is that he/she does not like being an atheist and wishes to no longer be an atheist. Therefore, he/she instead now preaches religion, how great religion is, and how much atheism sucks. Same thing goes for a religious person preaching atheism in that this person does not like being religious who no longer wishes to be religious.

So why is it that one would detest being an atheist even though they are now free to live how they want and are not bound by any religious belief? One of the reasons would be that this person values living a life of full pleasure with as little suffering as possible. This person values living such a life above all else. Maybe perhaps because he/she is a hedonist who values a life of much pleasure as possible with as little suffering as possible for his/herself as well as for others. This person would think that since he/she has just as much personal value as any other good person, that a life of utter bliss with no suffering would be the greatest thing not only for him/her, but also for other people he/she cares about. Since he/she has just as much personal good value as any other good person, he/she would think that he/she has just as much right to seek pleasure for his/herself as well as to give pleasure to those other people.

Now as I said before, this hedonist values a life of eternal pleasure of no suffering above all else not only for his/herself, but for those other people he/she cares about. Therefore, since a religious belief (such as Christianity) offers an afterlife of eternal joy free of suffering, then this person values this life above all else even regardless of the fact that this person would not be free to live as he/she so desires since he/she would be bound by his/her christian religious belief and the morals in that religious belief. This person has no value whatsoever in living a life that consists of suffering and striving forward in life in despite of that suffering. Instead, he/she has full value towards growing as a person and striving and moving forward in life through pure pleasure alone with no suffering instead since not only would this be the greatest life for him/her, but also because you can strive, do great things in life, help others, and grow as a person just as good as (and even better) than if you did through your suffering. You can achieve this through living such a blissful life under the right circumstances. Therefore, this also applies to even the greatest people in history and they could of been just as great and even greater if they lived blissful lives through instead changing their attitudes, changing their actions, changing their lives, and through other things besides suffering since suffering would, therefore, be completely pointless and unnecessary.

In conclusion, I would like to hear your opinion on the attitude of this particular person who I am going to present below in quotes. This is a person (a hedonist and an atheist) who has lived a life of much suffering and a life of little to no pleasure (a life of anhedonia which is a mental condition in which you have a chronic absence of pleasure):

"So, I can never live a life of full pleasure with no suffering since life will always be about suffering and accepting your suffering/lack of pleasure in life since this life can never be perfect? And neither is there a promised afterlife of eternal pleasure of no suffering as a reward for all my pointless suffering and lack of pleasure here on Earth? If that is the case, then I say whelp, that's it for me then. I'm out. Goodbye. I could care less about this bullshit of a life that not only doesn't give me the life of pleasure of very little to no suffering that I want, but this bullshit of a life also doesn't give me a promised afterlife of eternal pleasure of no suffering either."

Now that I have presented that quoted person, what is your opinion about his/her attitude here as being both an atheist and a hedonist who wishes to opt out of this life who has committed suicide? This person can NEVER and REFUSES to ever change his/her hedonistic and atheistic attitude as well. Therefore, what is your opinion in regards to this person as well as everything else I said here? I would like to hear yours and anyone else's opinions.

One very important thing I would like to add is that this particular person in that quoted message is an attitude I have and I am a hedonist and an atheist who suffers from anhedonia as well as depression.
RE: Atheists who preach religion and theists who preach atheism
Art thou for realz? I can barely make out what it is you want from us... I can't give an assessment based on some barely comprehensible phrases. I'd propose you change your strategy and, instead of presenting pages of puzzling exposition, simply ask whatever it is you want to know, directly.
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

(December 24, 2014 at 9:43 pm)Alex K Wrote: Art thou for realz?

That's what I asked myself also when I first read it.

Obviously not, since he's already squashed.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]
(December 24, 2014 at 9:44 pm)abaris Wrote:
(December 24, 2014 at 9:43 pm)Alex K Wrote: Art thou for realz?

That's what I asked myself also when I first read it.

Obviously not, since he's already squashed.

I should F5 more often...
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

I'm guessing Phat Matt again.

It's certainly his style of BS.
[Image: mybannerglitter06eee094.gif]
If you're not supposed to ride faster than your guardian angel can fly then mine had better get a bloody SR-71.
Nope, but it was another sock.

@OP: Sniff less glue.
(December 24, 2014 at 9:43 pm)Alex K Wrote: Art thou for realz? I can barely make out what it is you want from us... I can't give an assessment based on some barely comprehensible phrases. I'd propose you change your strategy and, instead of presenting pages of puzzling exposition, simply ask whatever it is you want to know, directly.

.... it isn't apparent? Thinking

It's not a strategy, it's but thought. Not a question... a musing, and a wondering.

(December 24, 2014 at 10:36 pm)Zen Badger Wrote: I'm guessing Phat Matt again.

It's certainly his style of BS.

It can be my style too, but damn... yall have some sort of paranoia that every third sock is this dude (who gets off on the fact that he can leave people terrorized).
Please give me a home where cloud buffalo roam
Where the dear and the strangers can play
Where sometimes is heard a discouraging word
But the skies are not stormy all day
Errrrr..... What the fuck is all this about? Is this time of year crazy season?
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
I don't get it. Why can't they celebrate Sol Invictus in peace? Tongue
"Every luxury has a deep price. Every indulgence, a cosmic cost. Each fiber of pleasure you experience causes equivalent pain somewhere else. This is the first law of emodynamics [sic]. Joy can be neither created nor destroyed. The balance of happiness is constant.

Fact: Every time you eat a bite of cake, someone gets horsewhipped.

Facter: Every time two people kiss, an orphanage collapses.

Factest: Every time a baby is born, an innocent animal is severely mocked for its physical appearance. Don't be a pleasure hog. Your every smile is a dagger. Happiness is murder.

Vote "yes" on Proposition 1321. Think of some kids. Some kids."

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Is Atheism a Religion? Why or why not? Nishant Xavier 91 4955 August 6, 2023 at 1:38 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
  Christian and Atheism Worldwide Demographics: Current Realities and Future Trends. Nishant Xavier 55 2737 July 9, 2023 at 6:07 am
Last Post: no one
  Atheists will worship the Antichrist and become theists during the Tribulation Preacher 53 3251 November 13, 2022 at 3:57 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Church of the atheists and prayer and supplication Eclectic 23 1914 September 19, 2022 at 2:34 pm
Last Post: Ranjr
Star A positive identity for atheists - Crusading Faithful Atheism Duty 95 6140 February 27, 2022 at 1:41 am
Last Post: Duty
Wink Religion vs Atheism! Bwahahahahahahahah MadJW 146 11388 November 5, 2021 at 5:52 pm
Last Post: Oldandeasilyconfused
  World War I, religion died in the 20th century, science triumphed in religion in the Interaktive 35 4232 December 24, 2019 at 10:50 am
Last Post: Interaktive
  Angry Atheists and Anti-Theists Agnostico 186 18633 December 31, 2018 at 12:22 pm
Last Post: T0 Th3 M4X
  Faux News: Atheism is a religion, too TaraJo 53 24764 October 9, 2018 at 10:13 pm
Last Post: Alan V
  Miracles and their place, and Atheists. Mystic 35 4473 October 4, 2018 at 3:53 am
Last Post: robvalue