Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 10:56 am

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
reasons to believe, there is no God
reasons to believe, there is no God
hello

what is in your opinion the best explanation for our existence ? Or : why is there something, rather than nothing ?
If you do not believe in God as the best explanation for our existence, what other ( better ) explanation do you suggest ?
RE: reasons to believe, there is no God
How is God the best explanation?
(February 27, 2010 at 3:45 pm)fr0d0 Wrote: How is God the best explanation?

I am asking for a better explanation than God. Do you have any ?
(February 27, 2010 at 3:42 pm)Tsidkenu Wrote: hello

what is in your opinion the best explanation for our existence ? Or : why is there something, rather than nothing ?
If you do not believe in God as the best explanation for our existence, what other ( better ) explanation do you suggest ?

Why is there something rather than nothing is a good example of the anthropic principle. I there were indeed nothing there would be no-one to ask the question. The very fact that we are here asking that question must, in itself, mean there is something.

The next question would then be, why are things the way they are and not different? Again, the same principle comes into play, if they were different then we would either not be asking the question or asking the same question of a different universe. The very fact that we are asking the question of this universe simply means that this universe must be the one we are in.

Humans have this desire of finding reasons for everything as that is our experience of the world in which we live. However, there is no reason why there should be an explanation for the existence of our universe. As Carl Sagan said, "The Universe does not have to conform to our expectations of it."

We may never know 'why' our universe is the way it is rather than any other or why it exists at all but to fill the gap in our knowledge with magic isn't really very helpful in my opinion.
[Image: cinjin_banner_border.jpg]

Have you read anything on cosmology? You'll get much more detailed and varied answers and theories in that field, that have nothing to do with an intelligent designer.

My invisible pink unicorn created your God. What now? Smile
God is the worst argument for exsistance. Needing a god to have something is not logical to me. Why is it so hard for people to imagine the Universe that we can observe in all its complexity has just always been here in one way or another, just always in a state of change. I find it redonkulous that people can belive that the universe was created by some god that we have never seen or have proof of, If there was a creator he would himself have to be complex. So you cant belive a complex universe exsist without being created by a complex being?!?
Did I make a good point? thumbs up Smile I cant help it I'm a Kudos whore. P.S. Jesus is a MYTH.
(February 27, 2010 at 3:46 pm)Tsidkenu Wrote:
(February 27, 2010 at 3:45 pm)fr0d0 Wrote: How is God the best explanation?

I am asking for a better explanation than God. Do you have any ?

Thing is, no explanation is just as good. This is no reason to believe in God.

How about abiogenesis and evolution.
Science flies us to the moon and stars. Religion flies us into buildings.

God allowed 200,000 people to die in an earthquake. So what makes you think he cares about YOUR problems?
(February 27, 2010 at 4:29 pm)Xyster Wrote: God is the worst argument for exsistance. Needing a god to have something is not logical to me. Why is it so hard for people to imagine the Universe that we can observe in all its complexity has just always been here in one way or another, just always in a state of change. I find it redonkulous that people can belive that the universe was created by some god that we have never seen or have proof of, If there was a creator he would himself have to be complex. So you cant belive a complex universe exsist without being created by a complex being?!?

You propose a eternal cosmos, in what ever form. its not possible.

from my personal virtual library :

An Absurd Library

To see the absurdity and contradictions of an actual infinite number of things in the real world imagine or hypothesize your campus library having an infinite number of black books and an infinite number of green books, alternating colours on the shelves and numbered consecutively on the spines.

Does it make any sense to say that there are as many black books as there are black plus green books together? But that is what you would have to say if you want to claim the infinite is possible in the real world.

Suppose you withdrew all the green books. How many books are there left in the library? There would still be an infinite number of books in the library even though we just withdrew an infinite number and found a way to get them home! Suppose you withdrew the books numbered 4,5,6...and so on. Now how many books are left? THREE! Something surely is wrong here! One time we subtract an infinite number of books and we're left with an infinite number; the next time we subtract an infinite number and we're left with three - a clear logical contradiction. Since our hypothesis leads to a contradiction, the hypothesis must be false - a library with an actual infinite number of books cannot exist.

While we can avoid these contradictions in the mathematical realm by making up rules like you can't subtract or divide when using infinity, we cannot in the real world prevent people from taking books out of libraries.

Therefore, since a beginningless past would be an actual infinite number of things (events) and since an actual infinite number of things cannot exist in the real world, it follows logically that the past is not infinite. The universe had a beginning.

Existence is 60% more stable than non-existence. Do the math.
"On Earth as it is in Heaven, the Cosmic Roots of the Bible" available on the Amazon.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  If there is a God(s) it/they clearly don't want us to believe in them, no? Duty 12 1410 April 5, 2020 at 8:36 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Are there any theists here who think God wants, or will take care of, Global Warming? Duty 16 3536 January 19, 2020 at 11:50 am
Last Post: Smedders
  Why does there need to be a God? Brian37 41 7016 July 20, 2019 at 6:37 pm
Last Post: Abaddon_ire
  For those who believe the god of abraham was behind the big bang or evolution android17ak47 49 7920 November 1, 2018 at 10:52 am
  List of reasons to believe God exists? henryp 428 84522 January 21, 2018 at 2:56 am
  Look i don't really care if you believe or don't believe Ronia 20 7905 August 25, 2017 at 4:28 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  People assuming you believe in a God Der/die AtheistIn 35 10224 July 19, 2017 at 10:24 am
Last Post: Astonished
  If there are no gods, doesn't making one's self a god make one a theist? Foxaèr 13 3618 May 26, 2017 at 5:28 pm
Last Post: TheoneandonlytrueGod
  There is no doubt a god, the question is what is it? Mystic 144 16848 April 11, 2017 at 10:49 am
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  Theist Posters: Why do you believe your God exists? SuperSentient 65 14467 March 15, 2017 at 7:56 am
Last Post: Cyberman