Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 18, 2024, 5:57 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
People assuming you believe in a God
People assuming you believe in a God
It happend sometimes to me. Someone I just met for the first time tells me "God bless you" or "I fear God" or thinks like that. Are they assuming I'm a theist? They don't know me. Don't they know that atheists, agnostics, ignostics, aphatheists, deists and other beliefs exist? Theists who do that, how would you feel if an atheist who doesn't know you would tell you without your permission that there is no God?
"By simple common sense I don't believe in God, in none"

Charlie Chaplin
RE: People assuming you believe in a God
I literally do not care.
[Image: nL4L1haz_Qo04rZMFtdpyd1OZgZf9NSnR9-7hAWT...dc2a24480e]
If the price I pay for occasionally being mistaken for a theist is getting a church lady apple pie, I'll wait to start wringing my hands until after I have gorged myself upon the delectable appley cinnamony flaky goodness.

Now if the church ladies were smart, they'd check my file with God Inc, LLC and then be lacing my next pie with strychnine.
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

I avoid sneezing in public so as to not hear the "God bless you" comment, and I am rarely around other people enough for anyone to send comments in my general direction anyway.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
(July 16, 2017 at 10:27 am)Aegon Wrote: I literally do not care.

This. Any assumptions anyone makes about me in ignorance is not any problem of mine, and don't bug me, so long as they don't subsequently launch into preaching.

(July 16, 2017 at 10:31 am)vorlon13 Wrote: If the price I pay for occasionally being mistaken for a theist is getting a church lady apple pie, I'll wait to start wringing my hands until after I have gorged myself upon the delectable appley cinnamony flaky goodness.

Now if the church ladies were smart, they'd check my file with God Inc, LLC and then lacing my next pie with strychnine.
You're so lucky! Unfortunately for me, I don't get pies.
"By simple common sense I don't believe in God, in none"

Charlie Chaplin
(July 16, 2017 at 10:25 am)Die Atheistin Wrote: It happend sometimes to me. Someone I just met for the first time tells me "God bless you" or "I fear God" or thinks like that. Are they assuming I'm a theist? They don't know me. Don't they know that atheists, agnostics, ignostics, aphatheists, deists and other beliefs exist? Theists who do that, how would you feel if an atheist who doesn't know you would tell you without your permission that there is no God?

I'll give anyone the benefit of the doubt the first time, but after I tell you and you still keep doing that shit to me it will piss me off. I cant stop someone from saying those things to others in front of me, but yea, when I tell you I don't believe stop saying that shit to me, it is rude.

I know of a lady at a gas station who keeps saying to me, AFTER clearly seeing my atheist hat "have a blessed day". I am about ready to speak to her manager about that. Again, if I hear her say that to other customers I wont stop it, but it is fucking annoying and out of spite she keeps saying that to me.
(July 16, 2017 at 10:31 am)vorlon13 Wrote: If the price I pay for occasionally being mistaken for a theist is getting a church lady apple pie, I'll wait to start wringing my hands until after I have gorged myself upon the delectable appley cinnamony flaky goodness.

Now if the church ladies were smart, they'd check my file with God Inc, LLC and then lacing my next pie with strychnine.

If they were smart they wouldn't be church ladies.
If the community you're in is primarily religious, then people may assume you are because odds are good that's the case. Though we all know where assumptions lead us.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

(July 16, 2017 at 10:25 am)Die Atheistin Wrote: It happend sometimes to me. Someone I just met for the first time tells me "God bless you" or "I fear God" or thinks like that. Are they assuming I'm a theist? 

You live in a country where over 92% of the population identifies as a member of a monotheistic religion and only 0.2% identifies as either atheist or agnostic. So yeah, they're assuming you're a theist. Not really surprising that they would do such a thing when you look at the numbers. 

If you want to be offended by that, then do as you wish I suppose. But I think many people, myself included, would consider getting offended under such circumstances a little... How shall I put this? A little bit ridiculous. 

God bless you is how theists say I wish you well. Same as saying have a nice day or something like that. Except they because they're theists, they've been conditioned to say god bless you instead of saying something like have nice day. Why get offended about that? They're just trying to wish you well. 

If you're going to choose to be offended by it, maybe you should at least be offended by the one thing that is at least marginally offensive in all this. And that is the fact that in vast majority of cases when people say god bless you or have a nice day or any other kind of pleasantry, they don't really mean it. No one or says have a nice day really gives a shit whether or not you actually have a nice day. No one who says god bless you really gives a shit whether or not god blesses you.

When you get right down to it, most them only care if god blesses them. So the only reason they say god bless you is because they think god is keeping score and will only bring them good things if they're sufficiently nice to other people. If you're going to get offended by any of this, maybe you should be offended by that.

But remember this. If you choose to be offended because you don't like the way people wish you well, the only person that loses in that scenario is you. Pick your battles and all that.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What do you believe in that hasnt been proven to exist? goombah111 197 23704 March 5, 2021 at 6:47 am
Last Post: arewethereyet
  If there is a God(s) it/they clearly don't want us to believe in them, no? Duty 12 1393 April 5, 2020 at 8:36 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Why you all need others, to believe? LastPoet 24 3815 December 26, 2019 at 10:09 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Ways to Get Into Heaven! Or Whatever You Believe in! Jade-Green Stone 14 2518 January 24, 2019 at 2:54 pm
Last Post: deanabiepepler
  For those who believe the god of abraham was behind the big bang or evolution android17ak47 49 7841 November 1, 2018 at 10:52 am
Last Post: Abaddon_ire
  List of reasons to believe God exists? henryp 428 83934 January 21, 2018 at 2:56 am
Last Post: Abaddon_ire
  How and why can people ignore their God’s immoral ways? Greatest I am 129 19416 November 27, 2017 at 9:35 am
Last Post: Cod
  Look i don't really care if you believe or don't believe Ronia 20 7828 August 25, 2017 at 4:28 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  Theist Posters: Why do you believe your God exists? SuperSentient 65 14326 March 15, 2017 at 7:56 am
Last Post: Cyberman
  What Will God do about People with Multiple Personality Disorder? Rhondazvous 43 6586 January 1, 2017 at 7:14 am
Last Post: Godscreated