Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 18, 2024, 10:13 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Chess
Chess
And I don't mean the musical by Tim Rice and the guys from ABBA, I mean the board game!

I've only recently tried to get into it; I played a lot in grade school but hadn't for probably 10 or 12 years before this summer. I'm a pretty big fan, and am trying to get better. If anyone has any resources, I'd love to hear about them. I've heard good things about the St. Louis Chess Club's videos online, and have read a couple of Silman's books. Any suggestions?

On another note, does anyone play online, and, of course, if so, want to play??? I play every now and again on chess.com, and am all up for signing up on other sites. Hell, if someone wants to we could even play through PMs on here (that'd probably be better for me, I'm crap at blitz).

Any takers?
How will we know, when the morning comes, we are still human? - 2D

Don't worry, my friend.  If this be the end, then so shall it be.
RE: Chess
I enjoy the game, but I'm not much better now than I was when I started playing at the age of ten. I lack the patience to be any better than I am.
I taught ny brother how to play and he eventually joined chess club and taught me to play.

My favorite openings are Queen's Gambit and Sicilian Defense. Definitely not recommended for the beginner.

The main rules to remember are as follows:

1: Get your center pawns in place
2: Get your bishops free
3: And castle castle castle

Did I say castle?

Move with reason. Do not just move a piece because you do not know what else to do.

AND ALWAYS KNOW AND REMEMBER WHY YOU PUT THAT PIECE WHERE YOU DID.

I never read any books, I played a lot against computers which used to be a lot easier to beat.

Now days, the premo computer program will always win as white.
You make people miserable and there's nothing they can do about it, just like god.
-- Homer Simpson

God has no place within these walls, just as facts have no place within organized religion.
-- Superintendent Chalmers

Science is like a blabbermouth who ruins a movie by telling you how it ends. There are some things we don't want to know. Important things.
-- Ned Flanders

Once something's been approved by the government, it's no longer immoral.
-- The Rev Lovejoy
I enjoyed it when I was younger, but was never very good.

I loved playing chess nerds and doing horrendously unconventional things. I mostly lost, but sometimes I would do something that would put them on their ear and that would make me laugh. One time I swiss cheesed a dudes whole line by committing to ONLY move my knight and somehow he failed to acknowledge that fact that I was creaming his back line by just moving one piece for no good reason. Yeah, he eventually won because I was teh suxxor at chess, but it was fun to see his panic. Excelsior.
I played several years back, but I haven't picked it up since due to lack of participates and time. I was decent considering I never read a book about it. Hell, I don't even know what a "Queen's Gambit" or "Sicilian Defense" is.
(January 6, 2015 at 10:58 pm)TRJF Wrote: And I don't mean the musical by Tim Rice and the guys from ABBA, I mean the board game!

I've only recently tried to get into it; I played a lot in grade school but hadn't for probably 10 or 12 years before this summer. I'm a pretty big fan, and am trying to get better. If anyone has any resources, I'd love to hear about them. I've heard good things about the St. Louis Chess Club's videos online, and have read a couple of Silman's books. Any suggestions?

On another note, does anyone play online, and, of course, if so, want to play??? I play every now and again on chess.com, and am all up for signing up on other sites. Hell, if someone wants to we could even play through PMs on here (that'd probably be better for me, I'm crap at blitz).

Any takers?

I play all the time on Chess.com. PM me and I'll shoot you my Username and we can play either online or live Chess. I'm up for either, though Live (Blitz) is more like Crack. It's an addiction that gives you a rush but does nothing to improve skills.
“Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent.
Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent.
Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil?
Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?”
Epicurus
I know how the pieces move, and that's about it. I never could muster the motivation to get any better at it. All power to those who do, though!
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

Pawns are important.
Every piece is powerful.
Sacrifice. Learn how. :-)

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Chess paulpablo 13 2237 April 22, 2023 at 7:33 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  The Queen's Gambit - Hit Chess Miniseries Duty 20 1600 December 7, 2020 at 7:46 am
Last Post: Gwaithmir
  AF Friendly Chess Matches? Kernel Sohcahtoa 26 2138 November 12, 2016 at 2:06 am
Last Post: Doubting Thomas
  2016 FIDE (Chess) Candidates Tournament TheRealJoeFish 14 1792 March 28, 2016 at 1:19 pm
Last Post: c172
  My best chess finish ever! :D bennyboy 9 2175 March 4, 2016 at 10:40 pm
Last Post: Jehanne
Music Chess Time JeffofGallifrey 8 2105 September 14, 2014 at 6:09 am
Last Post: StuW
  AF CHESS Matchups Mystical 56 8423 February 28, 2014 at 11:14 pm
Last Post: Mystical
  Chess Lion IRC vs. missluckie26 Lion IRC 139 12250 December 25, 2013 at 11:02 pm
Last Post: Mystical
  Chess games bennyboy 39 7088 October 14, 2013 at 9:02 am
Last Post: bennyboy