Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 12:04 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Chess
Chess
Anyone tried chess.com?

I've been bored doing solo night shifts recently so I got back into chess.

I get scored at around 1500 on this site, unless I make major blunders which I often do when I'm tired.

There's so much AI to go against and it's easy to play against other people.

Are you ready for the fire? We are firemen. WE ARE FIREMEN! The heat doesn’t bother us. We live in the heat. We train in the heat. It tells us that we’re ready, we’re at home, we’re where we’re supposed to be. Flames don’t intimidate us. What do we do? We control the flame. We control them. We move the flames where we want to. And then we extinguish them.

Impersonation is treason.

RE: Chess
I've only done a bit on chess.com recently. I love chess, but I don't have the memory for opening theory, and my calculating skills are slower than most.

I usually play anonymously on chessbase. I do puzzles on Lichess.org , and I'm 2300 on those, but I tend to take a lot of time on them (and the positions originally came from blitz or rapid games).
When I was in high school, chess became the game to play in our off time between classes (and we had a lot). I know the absolute basics but was never any good other than to be practice for those trying to gain some experience. My brain doesn't seem to have whatever wiring it takes to be good at chess.

“If you are the smartest person in the room, then you are in the wrong room.” — Confucius

Chess requires patience to develop the requisite skills. So, quite naturally, I sucked at it.
[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
I think I’d be better at chess if tackling was allowed.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
If I'm hungry, tired or just distracted I can lose to anyone. Today I was just daydreaming through a game and ended up beating a 1600 level chess AI on the website which I'm shocked I managed to do. I previously got stuck on a 1500 level AI so I don't know how I managed to beat this one.

When I go against live people it's people who have been given a similar level of around 1500, I think I end up winning around half the games.

Are you ready for the fire? We are firemen. WE ARE FIREMEN! The heat doesn’t bother us. We live in the heat. We train in the heat. It tells us that we’re ready, we’re at home, we’re where we’re supposed to be. Flames don’t intimidate us. What do we do? We control the flame. We control them. We move the flames where we want to. And then we extinguish them.

Impersonation is treason.

Last time I played chess was 1975, on Mt. Etna, while it was erupting. Made the game more interesting.
I played some chess in my younger days against someone younger than me who taught the game to me. I've tried AI based games a few times but never got hooked.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
[Image: AA17hiir.img?w=800&h=415&q=60&m=2&f=jpg]

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
I learned to play chess when I was in 7th or 8th grade. I've loved board games all my life, but chess was the most nerve-wracking game I've ever played. I pretty much gave it up by the late 1980's.
"The world is my country; all of humanity are my brethren; and to do good deeds is my religion." (Thomas Paine)

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The Queen's Gambit - Hit Chess Miniseries Duty 20 1659 December 7, 2020 at 7:46 am
Last Post: Gwaithmir
  AF Friendly Chess Matches? Kernel Sohcahtoa 26 2148 November 12, 2016 at 2:06 am
Last Post: Doubting Thomas
  2016 FIDE (Chess) Candidates Tournament TheRealJoeFish 14 1796 March 28, 2016 at 1:19 pm
Last Post: c172
  My best chess finish ever! :D bennyboy 9 2181 March 4, 2016 at 10:40 pm
Last Post: Jehanne
  Chess TheRealJoeFish 8 1845 January 7, 2015 at 8:38 am
Last Post: Little lunch
Music Chess Time JeffofGallifrey 8 2116 September 14, 2014 at 6:09 am
Last Post: StuW
  AF CHESS Matchups Mystical 56 8583 February 28, 2014 at 11:14 pm
Last Post: Mystical
  Chess Lion IRC vs. missluckie26 Lion IRC 139 12378 December 25, 2013 at 11:02 pm
Last Post: Mystical
  Chess games bennyboy 39 7114 October 14, 2013 at 9:02 am
Last Post: bennyboy