Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 7:28 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
hello world
hello world
Hey everyone. My name's Liam. I'm a 16 y/o film/music/lit nerd atheist from Canada.

Most of the people where I live are religious. I've been shunned by a lot for people because of what I (don't) believe. Thought it was a good idea to find a place to talk about this stuff. So here I am.
RE: hello world
Hey there Liam, nice to meet you Smile I enjoy chatting with atheists too, so I look forward to some discussions.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
(January 10, 2015 at 1:58 am)DeadChannel Wrote: I've been shunned by a lot of people because of what I (don't) believe.
Funny about those theists and love thy neighbor thing.

Welcome home!
You make people miserable and there's nothing they can do about it, just like god.
-- Homer Simpson

God has no place within these walls, just as facts have no place within organized religion.
-- Superintendent Chalmers

Science is like a blabbermouth who ruins a movie by telling you how it ends. There are some things we don't want to know. Important things.
-- Ned Flanders

Once something's been approved by the government, it's no longer immoral.
-- The Rev Lovejoy
Welcome I've become more focused on my film/music/art/science nerd interests than my "there is no god" side lately, and I largely have this forum to thank for allowing me to scratch that itch whenever it pops up. So, let a rip! Smile This is a good spot.
I can't remember where this verse is from, I think it got removed from canon:

"I don't hang around with mostly men because I'm gay. It's because men are better than women. Better trained, better equipped...better. Just better! I'm not gay."

For context, this is the previous verse:

"Hi Jesus" -robvalue
@robvalue
Hey, thanks for the warm welcome. I'll try to be as active as possible.

@IATIA
Right? I've never gotten that. Thanks for the welcome also.

@Exian
Always willing to talk about that stuff. I trust I'll see you around the forum?
Welcome aboard, DC! The world says hello!
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
@Stimbo
Oh, wow, I'm really getting a lot of welcomes.
*waves*
No problem Smile What brand of crazies do you have living around you?
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of my best videos
My family doesn't really talk about religion. I'm the only one who specifically identifies as atheist, but my father is fairly anti organized religion (he used to tell horror stories about brief involvement in the church). None of my family has any trouble accepting me, but it's not something I can really talk about either.

Main issue comes with the fact that I live super rurally, and the church is a huge part of the community. Probably 70% of people identify with some sort of religion, and 60% of those people go out of their way to attack me (as an atheist) if they know. Other 20% won't go out of their way to help or hinder, but clearly don't like my position regarding religion.

Most non religious people are non religious because they really don't care or haven't given the issue any thought (or won't come out of the proverbial closet).

At my school, there is a small community of atheists. I'd like to think I've had some small part of making that a thing.

However, I wouldn't feel comfortable talking about this with most Christians that I interact with (even the ones I'm friends with, not worth it).
Sure, that must be annoying. I bet you have helped the atheists out, leading by example.

That is always the biggest question on my mind. How much of their own bullshit do they really believe? For many people, none of it I think. Especially if they desperately avoid getting into conversations where they need to justify it.

Index of my best videos

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Hello! Just need to commune with some fellow atheists in a religious world. Rosie_Rivets 11 1960 November 11, 2016 at 5:18 pm
Last Post: CWoods
  Hello world Alexander The Great 27 2790 August 20, 2016 at 8:42 pm
Last Post: GUBU
Lightbulb Hello World Society 16 1798 April 29, 2016 at 8:56 pm
Last Post: LadyForCamus
  Hello World! FriendlyNeighborhoodAtheist 62 7933 May 15, 2015 at 10:25 am
Last Post: Alex K
Rainbow Hello World PerfectRecall17 21 2997 November 9, 2014 at 11:36 pm
Last Post: PerfectRecall17
  Hello world. FilthyMeat 27 2296 May 30, 2014 at 9:38 am
Last Post: pocaracas
  Hello World Escherscurtain 10 1787 March 22, 2014 at 10:02 pm