Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 29, 2024, 6:08 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hello World
Lightbulb 
Hello World
Hello, I am new here obviously and plan on sticking around. Was born into a Baptist family. I did believe in a God up until the last three years. The main thing that caused me to try to believe was the fear of hell. If I questioned it they would say "Oh, I am going to pray for your soul and that you get saved." Another thing that caused me to believe is the question: What happens when we die? or after we die? In school I have always considered myself a logical thinker. If it doesn't make sense it cant be. But if it does it could be. The bible does not make sense. Christian scientists claim they have proof for Christianity. Every religion has proof for their beliefs. Maybe we all come back in the future. WE just do not know. Family would often use my hard times in life and say "That is God testing you.. Be strong. Keep faith." I personally have always hated that way of thinking. Faith is the only thing all religious people have. No God is going to come save you from being killed, raped, etc. Yet another one of their arguments would be: "It is free will. You can't blame what the devil does on God." If God is not responsible since he isn't doing it then how is the devil responsible? Sounds like the devil is a scapegoat to me. Humans have free will, correct? THEREFORE the Devil and God are busy elsewhere. Enough of this blabber. Another thing would have to be the fact Christianity traces back to paganism. The Romans supposedly changed it all up. IF that is the case then we are all screwed and going to hell anyways because wouldn't that be worshiping the 'false word of God' since they changed it up? Hope everyone who reads this doesn't see it as pointless. Just my introduction on how I came about and how I tend to think. I am open to comments from both sides. 
RE: Hello World
Hi there, welcome! Thank you for sharing your story with us Smile

I agree with your thinking completely. It sounds like you're too logical to be taken in by it all. Religion amounts to, "Don't think about it. Do what I say or else." Attempts to provide "evidence" are laughable. And who would want to worship the evil disgusting character Yahweh from the bible, even if it was real? Not me. I have no desire to worship anything, anyway.

I hope you do stick around! I think you'll fit in well Smile Let me know if you have any questions.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
Welcome from the Bible belt!

Not pointless at all. Everyone's deconversion story is important.

Hope you stick around!
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---
Welcome!
Welcome!
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

Welcome matey.
The guilt and fear of hell will linger around for a while. This is normal. It will fade to nothing eventually.

Countless galaxies, each with countless planets, and they'll have you believe that God is looking at you personally to see if you are masterbating ... C'mon, that's way beyond stupid funny.
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
Welcome from sunny Portugal!
You'll fit in just fine! Wink

Have one of my favorite sweets, Queijada de Requeijão:
[Image: queijreq.jpg]
Thanks to every one who has responded and welcomed me!  Big Grin
Welcome!

(poca, is that like flan?)
Nolite te bastardes carborundorum.
Actually no religion has proof of their beliefs....they don't even have evidence worth a fart in the wind.  The problem is they think they do and self-delusion is a potent tool.

Welcome aboard.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Hello! Just need to commune with some fellow atheists in a religious world. Rosie_Rivets 11 1964 November 11, 2016 at 5:18 pm
Last Post: CWoods
  Hello world Alexander The Great 27 2792 August 20, 2016 at 8:42 pm
Last Post: GUBU
  Hello World! FriendlyNeighborhoodAtheist 62 7938 May 15, 2015 at 10:25 am
Last Post: Alex K
  hello world DeadChannel 19 2083 January 10, 2015 at 9:03 pm
Last Post: JuliaL
Rainbow Hello World PerfectRecall17 21 3002 November 9, 2014 at 11:36 pm
Last Post: PerfectRecall17
  Hello world. FilthyMeat 27 2296 May 30, 2014 at 9:38 am
Last Post: pocaracas
  Hello World Escherscurtain 10 1787 March 22, 2014 at 10:02 pm