Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 7:10 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
People with nice lives who think they're blessed
People with nice lives who think they're blessed
The fact that a person has a nice life and is happy does not make them special, "blessed," or better than anyone else (especially those who are innocent and suffering and are very unhappy). This life is nothing but sheer luck. Therefore, people who do have nice lives and such, all that means is that they are lucky--nothing more.

In truth, nothing is "special" or has any of the value we give it since everything is pure luck and nothing more. If this life were pure choice and allowed us to choose how we wanted to be born (such as how we want our brains and bodies to be and what lives we want to live as well as giving us the choice if we want a God and an afterlife), then that would make this life special with value. But, again, since this life is nothing but sheer luck, that makes this life nothing special with no value whatsoever.

Even the fact that we can make choices in life is a result of sheer luck. For example, some people with depression have the choice of getting better while others are unfortunate and have no choice but to live with it and never get better. For that very reason, I consider this a worthless life since it is nothing but sheer luck and that there is no God or a promised afterlife of eternal joy and perfection in which we can choose whatever we want. I consider this life worthless even despite the fact that you can choose to make the best of it anyway.

My sole reason for being on this Earth was to be a higher badass being by dominating this inferior life of sheer luck and instead creating a superior life of my own in which I have choices of my own and can choose to have as little problems as possible. But this inferior life has instead dominated me by giving me many problems such as depression and anhedonia that is never getting better. So now, at this point, I consider life utterly worthless and my dominating and superior dream of ultimate status and power shattered.

Since this life is sheer luck and there is no God or afterlife in which we can live a superior life of eternal joy in which we have pure choices, I consider not only this life worthless, but also me as a person and everyone else on this planet. In truth, we should all just kill ourselves if we are living a life of suffering because, apparently, we are all going to die in the end anyway and it makes no difference if you were to kill yourself now or die from old age later on anyway. Actually, you would be doing yourself a great favor.

I am a cold-hearted bastard who is presenting the cold harsh truth here. Usually, the cold truth would be from the result of scientific facts of reality. But here, I am presenting the cold truth from a perspective of fantasy (having a life of pure choice and there being a God and afterlife, etc.) and applying that perception to reality despite the fact that I am well aware that fantasy is not real at all. Again, to me, living a life of pure choice is the only thing that would make this life superior and worth living. The idea of there being a God and an afterlife definitely applies here as well since, if there were an afterlife (heaven), you would be able to live a life of pure choices, eternal joy, and badassery (empowerment and superiority over an inferior life of sheer luck).
RE: People with nice lives who think they're blessed
(August 7, 2014 at 11:25 am)Mozart Link Wrote: T

I am a cold-hearted bastard who is presenting the cold harsh truth here. Usually, the cold truth would be from the result of scientific facts of reality.

You are not who you fancy yourself to be, although who you fancy yourself to be tells much about who you really are.
Your criticizing the notion of a "blessed life" with the equally shaky notion of "luck".

Well, good luck to you there. May you hamingja bring you many male heirs and great honor. Angel
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
Quote:“I'm a great believer in luck, and I find the harder I work, the more I have of it.”

--Thomas Jefferson
(August 7, 2014 at 11:25 am)Mozart Link Wrote: In truth, we should all just kill ourselves if we are living a life of suffering because, apparently, we are all going to die in the end anyway ....
Fuck no.
Certain types of suffering under certain conditions has actually made me a better person.

Frankly, if life was 'perfect' and everything went my way all of the time, I think I'd find life quite boring.
(August 7, 2014 at 11:25 am)Mozart Link Wrote: The fact that a person has a nice life and is happy does not make them special, "blessed," or better than anyone else (especially those who are innocent and suffering and are very unhappy). This life is nothing but sheer luck. Therefore, people who do have nice lives and such, all that means is that they are lucky--nothing more.

In truth, nothing is "special" or has any of the value we give it since everything is pure luck and nothing more. If this life were pure choice and allowed us to choose how we wanted to be born (such as how we want our brains and bodies to be and what lives we want to live as well as giving us the choice if we want a God and an afterlife), then that would make this life special with value. But, again, since this life is nothing but sheer luck, that makes this life nothing special with no value whatsoever.

Even the fact that we can make choices in life is a result of sheer luck. For example, some people with depression have the choice of getting better while others are unfortunate and have no choice but to live with it and never get better. For that very reason, I consider this a worthless life since it is nothing but sheer luck and that there is no God or a promised afterlife of eternal joy and perfection in which we can choose whatever we want. I consider this life worthless even despite the fact that you can choose to make the best of it anyway.

My sole reason for being on this Earth was to be a higher badass being by dominating this inferior life of sheer luck and instead creating a superior life of my own in which I have choices of my own and can choose to have as little problems as possible. But this inferior life has instead dominated me by giving me many problems such as depression and anhedonia that is never getting better. So now, at this point, I consider life utterly worthless and my dominating and superior dream of ultimate status and power shattered.

Since this life is sheer luck and there is no God or afterlife in which we can live a superior life of eternal joy in which we have pure choices, I consider not only this life worthless, but also me as a person and everyone else on this planet. In truth, we should all just kill ourselves if we are living a life of suffering because, apparently, we are all going to die in the end anyway and it makes no difference if you were to kill yourself now or die from old age later on anyway. Actually, you would be doing yourself a great favor.

I am a cold-hearted bastard who is presenting the cold harsh truth here. Usually, the cold truth would be from the result of scientific facts of reality. But here, I am presenting the cold truth from a perspective of fantasy (having a life of pure choice and there being a God and afterlife, etc.) and applying that perception to reality despite the fact that I am well aware that fantasy is not real at all. Again, to me, living a life of pure choice is the only thing that would make this life superior and worth living. The idea of there being a God and an afterlife definitely applies here as well since, if there were an afterlife (heaven), you would be able to live a life of pure choices, eternal joy, and badassery (empowerment and superiority over an inferior life of sheer luck).

Dude... the three threads I've seen you make all seem to say pretty much the same thing. A huge salad of vaguely-nihilistic mumbo jumbo each time.

Yes, I get it, you are dissatisfied with your life and don't currently find 'meaning' in it. I'm sorry you feel that way.

But getting to the point 'we should all just kill ourselves' if we're suffering because we're going to die in the end...is just hideously fatalistic and immoral.

Additionally, you do not get to shove your rubric of "the only life worth living is one of pure choice" (whatever the hell that is) onto other peoples' lives, and you certainly don't deserve the sobriquet of some "truth bringer" or "cold-hearted badass" for displaying your fatalistic nonsense.
In every country and every age, the priest had been hostile to Liberty.
- Thomas Jefferson
How would you know the good parts are good if you don't have any bad parts to compare it with?

Happiness is a state of mind. You can be content in a concentration camp or miserable as a guest at a posh resort.
I'm not anti-Christian. I'm anti-stupid.
@Mozart Link
-I am a cold-hearted bastard who is presenting the cold harsh truth here.
All I see you're doing is motivating humans to commit suicide because their lives do not matter. How do you expect we find purpose to our lives if we do not continue to live, search and discover?

-Usually, the cold truth would be from the result of scientific facts of reality.
Well, yes. You should already know that science is primarily concerned with inquiry, and not the ability to charm an audience.
(August 7, 2014 at 11:31 am)LostLocke Wrote:
(August 7, 2014 at 11:25 am)Mozart Link Wrote: In truth, we should all just kill ourselves if we are living a life of suffering because, apparently, we are all going to die in the end anyway ....
Fuck no.
Certain types of suffering under certain conditions has actually made me a better person.

Frankly, if life was 'perfect' and everything went my way all of the time, I think I'd find life quite boring.
Even if you did become a better person, it would of all been gained for nothing since you would just lose it all in the end anyway by dying of old age. As for being an inspiration to others through your betterment, these others would also just die in the end as well anyway.
Knowing I can't fuck 24/7 for eternity doesn't keep me from enjoying the activity.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  If you had to pick between people who pimp prostitutes vs religious people Woah0 22 1889 August 28, 2022 at 5:51 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  People are not 'Going to Hell' - they're already in Hell. The Kreisel 22 2329 February 18, 2021 at 9:31 am
Last Post: Gwaithmir
  Have a blessed day! Mermaid 44 3873 November 26, 2019 at 6:52 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  I like to treat religious people nice. Jeezypete 27 4259 February 6, 2018 at 3:38 pm
Last Post: Abaddon_ire
  The Nice Thing About Being An Atheist JackRussell 83 27366 July 21, 2017 at 1:33 pm
Last Post: KevinM1
  Religion should be encouraged if it has positive effects on people.What do you think? ErGingerbreadMandude 31 5404 December 27, 2016 at 2:07 am
Last Post: energizer bunny
  The reason why religious people think we eat babies rado84 59 6349 December 3, 2016 at 2:13 am
Last Post: Amarok
  How Irrational People Think Mudhammam 41 7364 January 18, 2015 at 4:57 pm
Last Post: KevinM1
  ever think that all our problems exist because of other people? Jextin 11 4147 January 3, 2015 at 1:26 pm
Last Post: robvalue
  What The Hell Do People Believe In If They Don't Believe In God? MountainsWinAgain 36 8705 May 30, 2014 at 3:22 am
Last Post: Rampant.A.I.