Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 11:59 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fox News does it again
Fox News does it again
http://www.theguardian.com/media/2015/ja...am-muslims

Quote:Non-Muslims do not go to the British city of Birmingham, which has become a “totally Muslim” city, it has been claimed. Speaking on US news channel Fox News, Steven Emerson – who claims to be a “terrorism expert” – also said that gangs of religious police in parts of London beat up people who are not wearing Islamic clothes.

I'm sure that's news to a few members here including myself. There are areas of Birmingham that I would fee uncomfortable going into but nothing close to the scale that was put forward.
RE: Fox News does it again
(January 12, 2015 at 5:24 am)StuW Wrote: http://www.theguardian.com/media/2015/ja...am-muslims

Quote:Non-Muslims do not go to the British city of Birmingham, which has become a “totally Muslim” city, it has been claimed. Speaking on US news channel Fox News, Steven Emerson – who claims to be a “terrorism expert” – also said that gangs of religious police in parts of London beat up people who are not wearing Islamic clothes.

I'm sure that's news to a few members here including myself. There are areas of Birmingham that I would fee uncomfortable going into but nothing close to the scale that was put forward.

Are you sure you're not just some liberal commie that's tryin' teh take 'murica's freedom??
Find the cure for Fundementia!
(January 12, 2015 at 5:24 am)StuW Wrote: http://www.theguardian.com/media/2015/ja...am-muslims

Fox News can't be wrong so you must be mistaken about the location of your neighborhood. Perhaps you have lived in Alabama your entire life and just thought you lived in England.

Fox News and other right wing sources have been spreading crazy crap about Europe for a long time. Pay attention to stories they report on health care in Europe.

I've often been beaten up by religious police especially when out walking my Nessie in Brigadoon.

Fox News - the global voice for morons.

Rupert Murdoch - the global village idiot.

[Image: 807f118f7afe74447733de36f11c2537b0deabd8...3ffd5e.jpg]

MM
"The greatest deception men suffer is from their own opinions" - Leonardo da Vinci

"I think I use the term “radical” rather loosely, just for emphasis. If you describe yourself as “atheist,” some people will say, “Don’t you mean ‘agnostic’?” I have to reply that I really do mean atheist, I really do not believe that there is a god; in fact, I am convinced that there is not a god (a subtle difference). I see not a shred of evidence to suggest that there is one ... etc., etc. It’s easier to say that I am a radical atheist, just to signal that I really mean it, have thought about it a great deal, and that it’s an opinion I hold seriously." - Douglas Adams (and I echo the sentiment)
Any city in Europe is synonymous with "Europe" for Fox News.
In every country and every age, the priest had been hostile to Liberty.
- Thomas Jefferson
The average Fox News viewer is ignorant enough to believe anything the talking heads claim. Also, I'm pretty sure the average viewer already believes that Muslims have taken over the entire world except for 'MURICA. They are also the same idiots who believe the United States is the greatest, safest, most awesome country on the planet. Apparently, they cannot use their own senses to see how severely flawed this country is and how it's getting worse.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~ Benjamin Franklin
I might say something people will bash me for here, but you know what? He isn't that far wrong.

I come from Birmingham and I've lived there for 21 years. While it's not an 'entirely' muslim city, sure, there are still areas that are what you'd call "muslim areas" and this is widely known to pretty much anyone who's ever visited the place or lived there. People might not want to admit it, and people might not want to hear it, but these places are pure shitholes. There's trash on the streets, homes in a constant state of disrepair, and all you see are people in Islamic garments. They're like ghettos.

He's also not wrong in that there are groups of twats who go around threatening people and trying to impose sharia law in their areas.

It's not like it hasn't already been reported on:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rcsG-u2GtZE

He said it in the most sensationalist way sure, but people who are saying he's a complete idiot are kind of getting on my tits. I've heard plenty of people who actually live in Birmingham say the same sort of thing as what this guy did while they're down the pub.

The response, especially on my facebook newsfeed where the majority of my friends are from Birmingham, is actually pissing me off a bit. People are suddenly getting self righteous and acting like Birmingham doesn't have a problem with these muslim communities. Like it's such a perfect multicultural society, and that we're proud of it. That's fucking bollocks. I'm pretty sure I made a thread a couple years ago on here about the muslim only areas in my city. If you're not a muslim, you would be scared to step out of your car in these places. Not for shit reasons either.
(January 12, 2015 at 10:20 am)Napoléon Wrote: I might say something people will bash me for here, but you know what? He isn't that far wrong.

I come from Birmingham and I've lived there for 21 years. While it's not an 'entirely' muslim city, sure, there are still areas that are what you'd call "muslim areas" and this is widely known to pretty much anyone who's ever visited the place or lived there. People might not want to admit it, and people might not want to hear it, but these places are pure shitholes. There's trash on the streets, homes in a constant state of disrepair, and all you see are people in Islamic garments. They're like ghettos.

He's also not wrong in that there are groups of twats who go around threatening people and trying to impose sharia law in their areas.

It's not like it hasn't already been reported on:

He said it in the most sensationalist way sure, but people who are saying he's a complete idiot are kind of getting on my tits. I've heard plenty of people who actually live in Birmingham say the same sort of thing as what this guy did while they're down the pub.

The response, especially on my facebook newsfeed where the majority of my friends are from Birmingham, is actually pissing me off a bit. People are suddenly getting self righteous and acting like Birmingham doesn't have a problem with these muslim communities. Like it's such a perfect multicultural society, and that we're proud of it. That's fucking bollocks. I'm pretty sure I made a thread a couple years ago on here about the muslim only areas in my city. If you're not a muslim, you would be scared to step out of your car in these places. Not for shit reasons either.
That is interesting to hear from a person who actually lives there. We have to take anything Fox News says with a giant grain of fucking salt because they have such a tendency to outright lie in their reporting.

Something that is probably even more of a touchy subject here in the U.S. are predominantly poor, African American communities in urban areas. These are very often the most dangerous places in the country, but simply acknowledging that these areas are largely black and going no further than that will elicit instant and immediate vitriol from liberals...even though I myself am liberal. Am I a racist? Absolutely not. I abhor racism, but I have a goddamn set of eyes and I've been to some of these places - most notably in Memphis, TN; Jackson, MS; and Birmingham, AL. I know that a lack of opportunities, poor education, and poverty contribute to the high rates of crime in these areas, but it is taboo to mention that an area is populated almost entirely by minorities if it is regarding the rate of crime.

EDIT: I should have mentioned that I think a large portion of the issues of poverty and a lack of education and opportunity stems from years of institutionalized racism. Unfortunately, that doesn't make the statistics any less damning. I wish I had a solution which would eradicate the issues faced in low-income communities, but I'm just an idiot from Mississippi. :/ It takes people a lot smarter to me to work out the answers to these kinds of problems.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~ Benjamin Franklin
(January 12, 2015 at 10:20 am)Napoléon Wrote:

Don't confuse the failures of multi-cultural societies with racism.

Yes, Birmingham has problems but for the record (and I didn't hear this off a bloke down the pub) the Demography of Birmingham;

57.935 - British white
26.62 % Asian or British Asian
8.89% black or Black British
4.44% Mixed
2.03% Other

Source

Yes, there are culturally dense areas where a minority culture predominates but they are still under UK Law and that is not going to change any time soon. The vast majority of these culturally dense areas are filled with Law abiding citizens.

If you look at the languages of the Asian group then you will see they are again sub-divided into many different languages, the largest of which is Urdu, representing only 2.87% of the population of Birmingham. There is not one mass of unified minorities attempting to usurp the population, the only way that will happen is if they are forced together in adversity by racist ass-hats.

I agree that there is a problem with multi-cultural societies, they don't work well as they are currently constructed, I'm not in a position to propose a solution to all the problems but I'm very much for trying to solve them and I'm fairly certain the solution is not to go on US TV and make shit up, which is why, I assume, most people in this thread are pissed off.

MM
"The greatest deception men suffer is from their own opinions" - Leonardo da Vinci

"I think I use the term “radical” rather loosely, just for emphasis. If you describe yourself as “atheist,” some people will say, “Don’t you mean ‘agnostic’?” I have to reply that I really do mean atheist, I really do not believe that there is a god; in fact, I am convinced that there is not a god (a subtle difference). I see not a shred of evidence to suggest that there is one ... etc., etc. It’s easier to say that I am a radical atheist, just to signal that I really mean it, have thought about it a great deal, and that it’s an opinion I hold seriously." - Douglas Adams (and I echo the sentiment)
It was more the fact that he said Birmingham was "completely muslim" that I found amusing. I don't live that far away from Birmingham, stay there reguarly and have never had a problem in any way. There are places in every large british city, with no-go areas and roving gangs of "community representatives" but to say we are being taken over is pure FUD.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Where does your news network lean? Foxaèr 6 859 March 6, 2023 at 11:01 am
Last Post: Deesse23
  The Black/White people news thread for all news current, historical, or otherwise. Huggy Bear 77 4045 February 14, 2022 at 2:47 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Fox 'News' Running Scared BrianSoddingBoru4 9 728 December 20, 2020 at 6:32 pm
Last Post: The Architect Of Fate
  Just now on FOX NEWS...... Brian37 17 1114 December 12, 2020 at 3:38 am
Last Post: Brian37
  A Religion of Peace makes the news again brewer 13 650 November 5, 2020 at 1:14 pm
Last Post: Deesse23
  Shep Smith out at Fox News. Brian37 11 1027 October 12, 2019 at 9:22 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  A snowball's chance in Fox News Brian37 11 1152 May 31, 2019 at 4:57 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  News as surprising as another mass shooting: California ablaze again/still Whateverist 24 2449 November 18, 2018 at 1:12 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  "News" Which Is Not "News" To Anyone Minimalist 0 530 May 24, 2018 at 6:02 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Even FOX FUX Turn On The Orange Turd Minimalist 4 931 April 4, 2018 at 12:03 am
Last Post: vorlon13