Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 24, 2024, 9:37 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"On the third day"
"On the third day"
Everybody recognizes the influence that Plato had on the development of the first-century mystery cult known later known as Christianity. So, reading Plato's Crito this afternoon, I found this fascinating. Allow me to set the scene; Socrates has been sentenced to death and is waiting in prison, for the execution cannot go forward as there is a festival for Apollos going on, which won't conclude until a ship (with a legendary reputation) returns from the island of Delos, where the sacrifices to the god are performed. Socrates' friend Crito comes to warn him that the ship will return within a day, and is doing everything to convince Socrates not to willing go to his grave. He promises to find a way to get Socrates out of Athens but Socrates refuses, not finding it becoming given all he has taught about philosophy: namely, he has reason to think that in death a philosopher finally discovers wisdom (keep in mind this is Plato's Socrates). So here's then what happens:

Socrates: ...I do not think [the ship] will arrive today.
Crito: What indication have you of this?
Socrates: I will tell you. I must die the day after the ship arrives.
Crito: That is what those in authority say.
Socrates: Then I do not think it will arrive on this coming day, but on the next. I take to witness of this a dream I had a little earlier during this night. It looks as if it was the right time for you not to wake me. [my note: Socrates had been sleeping and Crito didn't wake him)
Crito: What was your dream?
Socrates: I thought that a beautiful and comely woman dressed in white approached me. She called me and said: "Socrates, may you arrive at fertile Phthia on the third day." (emphasis mine)

Regarding "arrive at fertile Phthia on the third day," the commentators add: "A quotation from Iliad ix.363. Achilles has rejected all the presents Agamemnon offered him to get him to return to the battle, and threatens to go home. He says his ships will sail in the morning, and with good weather he might arrive on the third day "in fertile Phthia" (which is his home). The dream means that Socrates' soul, after death, will find its home on the third day (counting, as usual among the Greeks, both the first and the last member of the series)."

Thinking Sounds a bit familiar.

There's also that peculiar tale that Pythagoras, according to one report: “If we listen to those who wish to investigate ancient history, it is possible to find them referring this theorem back to Pythagoras and saying that he sacrificed an ox upon its discovery” (426.6). Proclus gives no indication of his source, but a number of other late reports (Diogenes Laertius VIII. 12; Athenaeus 418f; Plutarch, Moralia 1094b) show that it ultimately relied on two lines of verse whose context is unknown: “When Pythagoras found that famous diagram, in honor of which he offered a glorious sacrifice of oxen...”

Or is it just a coincidence?
He who loves God cannot endeavour that God should love him in return - Baruch Spinoza
RE: "On the third day"
Huh.....? they all seem linked in a way interesting...
Atheism is a non-prophet organization join today. 

Code:
<iframe width="100%" height="450" scrolling="no" frameborder="no" src="https://w.soundcloud.com/player/?url=https%3A//api.soundcloud.com/tracks/255506953&amp;auto_play=false&amp;hide_related=false&amp;show_comments=true&amp;show_user=true&amp;show_reposts=false&amp;visual=true"></iframe>
Even when Jesus supposedly said, "do unto others as you would have them do unto you" was coined from far back as the Gautama Buddha, Confucius and many others who said the same thing, in fact most of what jesus supposedly said was plagiarized.
Jesus is a walking mythological cliche huh. Kind of like the Frankenstein's monster of the religious world.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
(January 14, 2015 at 11:59 pm)robvalue Wrote: Jesus is a walking mythological cliche huh. Kind of like the Frankenstein's monster of the religious world.

Yea I like that analogy.
(January 14, 2015 at 11:56 pm)psychoslice Wrote: Even when Jesus supposedly said, "do unto others as you would have them do unto you" was coined from far back as the Gautama Buddha, Confucius and many others who said the same thing, in fact most of what jesus supposedly said was plagiarized.

Parts of Buddhism is in Christianity. Creation story stolen from Zoroastrians scriptures. Creation of earth Epic of Gilgamesh. Flood myth again Epic Of Gilgamesh. Book of proverbs stolen from Instruction of Amenemope. 10 commandments stolen from Egyptian Book of the Dead. The canaanites, The origin of the Israelite nation is a little vague since the biblical accounts don’t always agree with archaeological evidence. According to the Bible, the Canaanites were a tribe of people who descended from Ham (the son of Noah). They were thought to be a cursed nation that the Israelites destroyed. However, conquests are never that simple, and it is widely accepted that the Canaanite religion had numerous influences on Judaism. Psalms 29 is a hymn that bears so much similarity to Ulgaritic (the language of the Canaanites) poetry that some believe that it was originally an hymn to Baal. Today scholars agree that the Israelites emerged from a Canaanite civilization in the early part of the second millennium B.C.. Isiah correlation with Gathas of Zarathushtra Yasna (the sacred texts of the Zoroastrians). Angels and demons... stolen again from Zoroastrianism. Also Angels...well here is what they originally looked like.....before the Renaissance [Image: 33630.jpg?v=1]
[Image: 33631.jpg?v=1]
[Image: 33632.jpg?v=1]
Again heaven and hell stolen from Zoroastrianism.
The fucking trinity stolen from pagan religions....
and finally all aspects of the messiah fucking Buddhism.

Code:
<iframe width="100%" height="450" scrolling="no" frameborder="no" src="https://w.soundcloud.com/player/?url=https%3A//api.soundcloud.com/tracks/255506953&amp;auto_play=false&amp;hide_related=false&amp;show_comments=true&amp;show_user=true&amp;show_reposts=false&amp;visual=true"></iframe>
Great info dyresand.
(January 15, 2015 at 12:37 am)psychoslice Wrote: Great info dyresand.

Thanks Big Grin

Code:

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Why is Jesus in third place when he deserves first? Greatest I am 25 4615 September 22, 2020 at 10:14 pm
Last Post: GrandizerII
Wink The Third Eagle of the Apocalypse says...the end is nigh! Aegon 12 5294 January 18, 2016 at 7:38 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  Found. The third and Final Testament. Greatest I am 12 6342 March 11, 2012 at 12:12 pm
Last Post: Greatest I am