Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 8:01 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Seriously Annoying Youtube "feature"
Seriously Annoying Youtube "feature"
So here's the thing; I don't like to embed YouTube vids in posts, because embedded vids slow the load-time for a thread. Put enough of them in, and the thread never completely loads, it just blinks continually while you're trying to read it (and yes, I have excellent high-speed cable Internet, and I'm a PC tech so the problem is NOT on my end).

Anyhow.

Today I decided to link to a couple of YouTube vids. Operative word "LINK."

As in the code sez [ur l=http://whatever.thing ]I'm Hypertext! [/u rl ] (without the spaces)

And the stupid board interface sees the YouTube URL and automatically turns my hypertext links into embedded video!!!

Grr.

This is stupid. Hopefully there's a simple radio button somewhere in the back-end that turns on and off this asinine glitch feature. Please, please please somebody click the switch!
RE: Seriously Annoying Youtube "feature"
How about simply putting a spoiler

or hide environment around it? That's the standard way to avoid long loading times for the thread.
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

(January 21, 2015 at 12:06 pm)Alex K Wrote: How about simply putting a spoiler

or hide environment around it? That's the standard way to avoid long loading times for the thread.

Sure, I could use a workaround.

But I shouldn't have to. And most people won't have the skillz to even consider it.

When I declare a hyperlink in a wysiwyg, I expect a goddam hyperlink. Angry
[Image: tumblr_ltdjn8vtcg1qii6tmo1_250.gif]

Come now. Everyone here familiar enough with bbcode tags enough to post videos and links can use spoiler tags.

Use BBcodeinsert. All the tags you want with a input field are just a right click away. You don't even have to format.
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---
(January 21, 2015 at 11:41 am)Davka Wrote: So here's the thing; I don't like to embed YouTube vids in posts, because embedded vids slow the load-time for a thread.

What are you viewing the forum on? One of these:

[Image: apple31.jpg]

??

Like... seriously, I can't see what device you're using, or even what connection you'd have that would lead to embedded youtube vids being a problem.
Yeah, the thread blinking continually shouldn't actually have anything to do with your internet speed. So it might still be on your end.
Huh, I never noticed that before. I thought this was a gripe about YouTube playlists forcibly auto-playing the entire list. When viewing a YouTube playlist, the list forcibly moves to the next video the moment the first one ends. No matter what settings I adjust, nothing changes this. The 'Repeat Playlist' button, which used to manage this feature, no longer works for some reason. Anyone know how to fix this (I'm reduced to opening the video separate from the playlist, but what if I want to watch another video in the list, just not the next one?)

(Sorry for the derail)
(January 21, 2015 at 1:22 pm)DeadChannel Wrote: Yeah, the thread blinking continually shouldn't actually have anything to do with your internet speed. So it might still be on your end.

Nope, it only happens on threads with a shit-ton of embedded videos. And it happens on more than one machine. It *might* be a Firefox problem, but I seriously doubt it.
(January 21, 2015 at 1:29 pm)Davka Wrote: Nope, it only happens on threads with a shit-ton of embedded videos. And it happens on more than one machine. It *might* be a Firefox problem, but I seriously doubt it.

Dunno Well I use Chrome with decent internet and I've never ha this problem What video laden thread(s) might we be referring to (for testing purposes)?
So you use Firefox, huh?

Try flashblock. It's worked wonders for my sanity.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New feature maybe tackattack 14 2208 July 3, 2021 at 12:17 pm
Last Post: no one
  Auto save feature? Apollo 4 1010 December 1, 2020 at 10:04 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Request for a new report feature. Ravenshire 6 1096 May 6, 2018 at 10:53 pm
Last Post: Tiberius
  Why won't my youtube links work? Succubus 18 2849 October 3, 2017 at 9:41 pm
Last Post: Seraphina
  Can I Embed Videos YouTube That Start At A Certain Point Here On AF? Edwardo Piet 2 885 September 4, 2017 at 12:34 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Chat feature Azu 2 1120 February 15, 2017 at 10:17 pm
Last Post: Azu
  What's with the annoying "Save" shit that appears everywhere? rado84 30 3621 July 19, 2016 at 7:22 am
Last Post: rado84
  Can we seriously change this "User formerly known as" bollocks? Napoléon 59 6854 November 6, 2015 at 6:21 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  youtube link is turning into a video.. Marsellus Wallace 2 1556 October 10, 2015 at 9:06 pm
Last Post: Marsellus Wallace
  hide content feature watchamadoodle 11 2653 February 27, 2015 at 3:46 am
Last Post: Fidel_Castronaut