Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 8:34 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Does anybody else feel sorry for religious people?
I went to church on sunday, and I felt sorry for everybody there, because all I could think of was that they were brainwashed, and were giving their money away for nothing, and that the elders wasted their entire life, and the middle aged people are wasting their life, and they're oppressing themselves, etc. I just feel so sorry for these people.

Fortunately, my girlfriend, and the pastor knows I'm an atheist, but that's it. Nobody else at church knows.

If pinkie pie isn't real, then how do you explain the existence of ponies, huh? If ponies are real, then that's proof that Pinkie Pie is real. Checkmate, christians!  Heart

-- Book of Pinkie Pie 7:3
RE: Does anybody else feel sorry for religious people?
Not really. They fell for it.

I feel bad that there is so much time and money being wasted, though.
Do you still go to church because of family pressures?
In every country and every age, the priest had been hostile to Liberty.
- Thomas Jefferson
(January 30, 2015 at 11:57 am)FatAndFaithless Wrote: Do you still go to church because of family pressures?

Nah. I go to Church so that I can be with my Girlfriend. I just don't participate in any of the rituals, such as communion, prayer, that kind of stuff.
If pinkie pie isn't real, then how do you explain the existence of ponies, huh? If ponies are real, then that's proof that Pinkie Pie is real. Checkmate, christians!  Heart

-- Book of Pinkie Pie 7:3
If they're not being forced into it, no. They have the option to question it and come to a conclusion and live with that.
"Well, evolution is a theory. It is also a fact. And facts and theories are different things, not rungs in a hierarchy of increasing certainty. Facts are the world's data. Theories are structures of ideas that explain and interpret facts. Facts don't go away when scientists debate rival theories to explain them. Einstein's theory of gravitation replaced Newton's in this century, but apples didn't suspend themselves in midair, pending the outcome. And humans evolved from ape- like ancestors whether they did so by Darwin's proposed mechanism or by some other yet to be discovered."

-Stephen Jay Gould
I don't feel sorry for the likes of Pat Robertson, Jerry Falwell, Jimmy Swaggart, Miscavige (Scientology), Joe Smith, etc.

On the rare occasion when one of the charlatans is set upon by a mob wielding pitchforks and torches, I always root for the mob.

I'd sure like to see Pat Robertsons intestines fall out live on TV . . .
I don't blame religious people for being religious. Almost all of them were indoctrinated into it at an age when we're programmed by nature (usually) to accept what our parents and elders tell us uncritically. Everybody involved thinks they're doing the right thing. And it's hard to shake what was taught to you that young, and often 'confirmed' by religious experiences. Not to mention, half of them are below average intelligence-wise, and it might be too high an expectation to figure they'll think their way out on their own. There are worse things to be than religious, and at least some of that money and time goes to helping people, so it's not entirely down the drain. I'm pretty sure some people are wired with a predisposition to believe fantastic things, and that's also not their fault.

So I do feel a little sorry for them, the degree of which is relative to how far in they are, but there are plenty of people for whom I feel way more sorry.
I'm not anti-Christian. I'm anti-stupid.
Members of the flock out agitating for their wacky religious strictures to be enacted into secular law don't get any sympathy from me either.
I don't feel sorry for them. Most of them find answers to questions they have at the time. I do however,feel sorry for them when they ask the right questions and get ridiculed for asking honest questions.
I always think along the lines of the old proverb: See you, wouldn't want to be you.

Sorry is the wrong word. I always shudder to think what must be going on in the heads of these people. How their lives must look, the guilt trips they are constantly on.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Just ranting. Sorry. purplepurpose 11 1196 July 1, 2022 at 8:29 pm
Last Post: Astreja
  How many of you would punish religious people for being religious? Ahriman 222 18156 May 2, 2022 at 2:45 am
Last Post: Losty
  Sorry Catholic_Lady Nothing 14 1002 November 30, 2021 at 6:55 pm
Last Post: Catholic_Lady
  Religious people get very little reps, it's xenophobia and religionism. WinterHold 353 25488 July 12, 2021 at 2:12 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Anyone else planting dandelions? arewethereyet 5 727 May 1, 2021 at 6:51 pm
Last Post: onlinebiker
  Did anyone else attend HumanLight zoom meeting last night? Apollo 8 1103 December 25, 2020 at 6:20 pm
Last Post: Apollo
  Anyone else have that "weird" friend? Atomic Lava 31 2615 November 28, 2019 at 2:49 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  Do you feel loved? Cod 46 3070 October 16, 2019 at 3:50 am
Last Post: Cod
  Does anyone else remember...? Cecelia 20 1788 July 30, 2019 at 8:26 pm
Last Post: Fireball
  sorry for the late notice Drich 26 1874 May 12, 2019 at 2:35 am
Last Post: WolfsChild