Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 12:12 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Does anyone else remember...?
Does anyone else remember...?
This is a topic for things you remember, but wonder if anyone else does.

Like...

Does anyone else remember John Titor?  The time traveler who said there'd be a civil war in the US in 2004?  I don't think anyone ever learned who he really was.

Does anyone else remember Fruitopia?  Or how about Pepsi Blue?  I don't drink sodas much anymore, but I remember drinking those two a lot back in high school.

Or how about Squeeze-its?  Those little bottles you had to squeeze to drink?  I vaguely remember those being great back in middle school.

How about P.B. Crisps?  I'm surprised they quit making them.

How about D.A.R.E?  I think it's still around, but it was more prominent back when I was in school.  I don't think it was very effective, though.

Does anyone else have things they remember they wonder if other people remember?
The whole tone of Church teaching in regard to woman is, to the last degree, contemptuous and degrading. - Elizabeth Cady Stanton
RE: Does anyone else remember...?
I don't remember any of those, probably a geography thing.  What I do remember (among other things):

Eatables:

-Walker's Wotsits (still available, but they're just awful)

-Cresta Pop in glass bottles

-Quosh (concentrated)

-Top Deck, no longer available - some stupid idea that you shouldn't market alcohol to children

Watchables:

-Arthur C. Clarke's Mysterious World and Strange Powers (my first real introduction to skepticism)

-The Young Ones

-The Goodies

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
Never heard of John Titor.

I remember Fruitopia, and if I had to bet money I'd swear they were still around, but I checked and they've been gone since 03.

Vaguely remember Squeeze-Its and PB Crisps.

I guess DARE extended into the 90s, but I remember it most from the 80s. I think it was an extension of Nancy's "Just say no" campaign, which was just like prayer. I way to talk and feel like you're accomplishing something, without really lifting a finger to help.
The Snorks?

Inspector Gadget?

Nasty wax bottles of candy juice?

Those weird drinks with balls floating in them?
Party lines?

Phone booths?

Pet Rocks?

Paper tape (yellow) for computers?

Bubblegum cigarettes?

Vacuum tubes?
I don't think I've ever seen a phone booth, but I remember Pay Phones.

I also remember Inspector Gadget (both the terrible movie starring Matthew Broderick and the cartoon with the catchy theme song). I remember reruns running on some station.

But that reminds me -- Samurai Pizza Cats. I don't think I ever watched it, but I remember seeing advertisements for it.
The whole tone of Church teaching in regard to woman is, to the last degree, contemptuous and degrading. - Elizabeth Cady Stanton
(July 30, 2019 at 10:17 am)Cecelia Wrote: How about D.A.R.E?  I think it's still around, but it was more prominent back when I was in school.  I don't think it was very effective, though.

Still see cop cars with the DARE info on them.
(July 30, 2019 at 1:06 pm)polymath257 Wrote: Party lines?

Phone booths?

Pet Rocks?

Paper tape (yellow) for computers?

Bubblegum cigarettes?

Vacuum tubes?

All of those except the tape. I have used punch cards for FORTRAN programming, though. 

I remember going down to the Thrifty Drug store with a bag of tubes from the TV and testing them on their machine.
If you get to thinking you’re a person of some influence, try ordering somebody else’s dog around.
Let's see.

Slide rules.

*Circular* slide rules.

Phones with impossibly short cords.

The sound of a modem (pretty recent, here).

LSMFT

Schoolhouse rock on TV

13 channels

3 channels

Mr MaGoo
Rotary phones

Full size spare tires

Leaded gasoline

Lead-based paint

Asbestos

Acoustically coupled modems

Betamax

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Anyone else planting dandelions? arewethereyet 5 721 May 1, 2021 at 6:51 pm
Last Post: onlinebiker
  Did anyone else attend HumanLight zoom meeting last night? Apollo 8 1074 December 25, 2020 at 6:20 pm
Last Post: Apollo
  Anyone remember this crock guy? Brian37 5 515 June 29, 2020 at 4:17 pm
Last Post: onlinebiker
  Anyone else have that "weird" friend? Atomic Lava 31 2592 November 28, 2019 at 2:49 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  Remember when... (AF memory lane) J a c k 0 418 November 11, 2019 at 11:36 pm
Last Post: J a c k
  Always remember... no one 7 638 October 20, 2019 at 11:00 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  I remember way back when..... Brian37 23 2048 January 9, 2019 at 8:40 am
  Does anyone mow "The Moral Landscape"? Gawdzilla Sama 21 1106 September 29, 2018 at 1:17 pm
  Does anyone own a Moral Compass? I_am_not_mafia 13 1324 September 28, 2018 at 6:51 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Iranians remember no one is going to be fair to you Mystic 9 1356 June 25, 2018 at 5:55 pm
Last Post: Minimalist