Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 12:56 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Churches oppose three-person baby plan
Churches oppose three-person baby plan
Senior church figures have called on the UK government to block the creation of babies from three people.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-31063500

The Church of England and the Catholic Church in England and Wales said it was not clear the technique - adding a donor woman's mitochondria to another woman's egg - was safe or ethical.

As usual the god botherers want to hold back progress, they don't care about the families who see their children die after one or two years. (or maybe they deserve to die because god made them with faulty mitochondria)
The meek shall inherit the Earth, the rest of us will fly to the stars.

Never underestimate the power of very stupid people in large groups

Arguing with an engineer is like wrestling with a pig in mud ..... after a while you realise that the pig likes it!

RE: Churches oppose three-person baby plan
I'm no doctor and I've never heard of doing this. Is it safe and ethical? Has it been done? Are there risks?
(August 21, 2017 at 11:31 pm)KevinM1 Wrote: "I'm not a troll"
Religious Views: He gay

0/10

Hammy Wrote:and we also have a sheep on our bed underneath as well
Is it safe to let your kids die before their first birthday?

Arguing with an engineer is like wrestling with a pig in mud ..... after a while you realise that the pig likes it!

Did you just answer my question with a question?

0/10

(January 30, 2015 at 6:54 pm)Losty Wrote: Did you just answer my question with a question?

Yes

I had never heard of the this either but it sounds promising.The church's reasoning doesn't make sense to me. Why would saving an individual's life be unethical? Are there some side effects that the article doesn't mention or is this just a case of religious people being terrified of progress?

From the article:

Quote:But a group of scientists has urged MPs to approve the procedure - intended to stop deadly mitochondrial diseases.

(January 30, 2015 at 6:59 pm)zebo-the-fat Wrote:
(January 30, 2015 at 6:54 pm)Losty Wrote: Did you just answer my question with a question?

Yes

No? Maybe?
(January 30, 2015 at 6:59 pm)zebo-the-fat Wrote:

Yes

Well that makes me want to take you really seriously. For real. I'm your number one fan now. All of the good argument points are belong to you.

I was asking a legitimate question. I don't care if a church is the one who said it. Is it more dangerous than the disease itself? Could it cause babies to be born with even worse diseases? Those are important questions to ask regardless of religious stance.

@Nope- obviously there has to be some circumstances where saving a life would be unethical, but I think that's besides the point. I don't think this is unethical...but I just don't know enough about it.

0/10

Mitochondria are believed to have been free living life forms eons ago, and then were symbiotically assimilated by other life forms.

Human fathers don't contribute mitochondria to offspring, only mothers. Also, mitochondrial DNA can be separately sequenced to learn about our ancestors.

Mitochondria are our cells energy producers.
(January 30, 2015 at 7:10 pm)vorlon13 Wrote: Mitochondria are believed to have been free living life forms eons ago, and then were symbiotically assimilated by other life forms.

Human fathers don't contribute mitochondria to offspring, only mothers. Also, mitochondrial DNA can be separately sequenced to learn about our ancestors.

Mitochondria are our cells energy producers.

Now see that's cool to know. I only knew they're the squiggly beans. They are the squiggly ones right?

0/10

(January 30, 2015 at 7:08 pm)Losty Wrote:
(January 30, 2015 at 6:59 pm)zebo-the-fat Wrote: Yes

Well that makes me want to take you really seriously. For real. I'm your number one fan now. All of the good argument points are belong to you.

I was asking a legitimate question. I don't care if a church is the one who said it. Is it more dangerous than the disease itself? Could it cause babies to be born with even worse diseases? Those are important questions to ask regardless of religious stance.

@Nope- obviously there has to be some circumstances where saving a life would be unethical, but I think that's besides the point. I don't think this is unethical...but I just don't know enough about it.

I think that you asked a good question and the poster was wrong in how he/she (sorry) responded to you. My last response to the poster was just silliness on my part

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  On the consciousness of a new born baby Macoleco 8 798 April 7, 2022 at 7:22 am
Last Post: brewer
  The HIV plan brewer 2 275 February 7, 2019 at 2:22 pm
Last Post: LastPoet
  Human baby gene editing is here? brewer 9 1071 November 29, 2018 at 12:50 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  "The first person to live to [200, 300, 500, 1000] has already been born" Heat 218 17429 December 14, 2015 at 9:18 pm
Last Post: Excited Penguin
  Baby raccoons IATIA 7 1566 November 23, 2015 at 12:28 am
Last Post: bennyboy
  Next-Gen Test Tube Baby Born pineapplebunnybounce 4 2389 July 12, 2013 at 4:46 pm
Last Post: pineapplebunnybounce
  ‘Adventurous’ Woman Needed as Surrogate for Neanderthal Baby TaraJo 25 7794 January 29, 2013 at 2:40 am
Last Post: Cinjin
  About a baby gamerguy86 6 2216 June 23, 2012 at 8:23 pm
Last Post: gamerguy86
  All part of gods great plan. Zen Badger 15 4614 February 11, 2012 at 9:19 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Orangutan helping out a baby bird. downbeatplumb 13 3874 June 19, 2011 at 12:59 am
Last Post: Minimalist