Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 8:35 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
atheism in centuries past
atheism in centuries past
I read a post on another forum from a person whose parent or grandparent only admitted to being an atheist just before death. Apparently that atheist kept his/her beliefs secret for some reason.

I wonder what it was like to be an atheist back in the 1700s or 1800s or even the early 1900s?
RE: atheism in centuries past
No God or the 'wrong' God could get you burned alive, disemboweled, impaled, decapitated or pressed under stones.

If you're not in the 'right' faith tough shit.
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

[Image: Witch%20Burning.jpeg]
Dying to live, living to die.
Christers were inventive. Suspending a person upside down and cutting them in half vertically with a big tree saw was pretty gross. Upside down you stay aware much longer than other horrific ways to kill you.
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

To answer your question just think how it's like being an atheist in a Muslim theocratic nation, or alternatively in a Christian theocracy (Uganda comes to mind, but to the fair "Christian" nations are not comparable to Muslim ones)
Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you

They have managed to drag christians closer to enlightenment, but muslim countries are still pretty bad. You don't need to go back in time to witness such things. Just a different geographical location.

Witch hunts, where if she floats, she's a witch. If she sinks (and presumably drowns), she's innocent. Either way she's dead.

More recently you had to worry about the KKK burning crosses in your yard, if not outright killing you.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

Isn't the KKK Christian? Shock I may be mistaken, I'm not from the US
Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you

Yes, they're christian white supremacist extremists, and if you don't tow the line they come after you. They had more power at one time, though they're kind of a joke now. Some guy in a hood erects a cross in my yard, and sets it on fire, I'm more likely to go to the police than to Yahweh. If I'm in a good mood, I might just break out the marshmallows.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

I have no doubts that certain fundamentalists would love to see Christianity dragged backwards in time to the point where their prejudices could be enacted with violence as well as social pressure. I don't envy anyone who had to go through it, I agree that I imagine it to be like being atheist in a modern day heavily Muslim country. I would be interested to know how the more liberal Muslim countries treat their atheists, and how crackers they go if you draw pictures of their favourite pedophile.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
I'm old enough to remember 'Kill a Queer for Christ' t-shirts. Anita Bryant was pretty open about wanting 10 year prison terms for all the gays in that era too.

The Christers aren't that far, ever, of being ready, willing, and able to launch a pogrom.

President Reagan did not consider HIV to be a problem either, Pat Buchanan didn't care how many collateral deaths might accrue if HIV could scour the country of gay people.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Religion is a relic of the past Interaktive 69 5288 December 9, 2022 at 5:31 pm
Last Post: The Architect Of Fate
Rainbow Matter and energy can be past-eternal ManofYesterday 172 57201 July 3, 2017 at 11:16 am
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  Atheism VS Christian Atheism? IanHulett 80 27124 June 13, 2017 at 11:09 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  Atheism, Scientific Atheism and Antitheism tantric 33 12478 January 18, 2015 at 1:05 pm
Last Post: helyott
  Strong/Gnostic Atheism and Weak/Agnostic Atheism Dystopia 26 12152 August 30, 2014 at 1:34 pm
Last Post: Dawsonite
  Feel Embarassed or regret by ones religous past? bladevalant546 29 6956 August 13, 2014 at 7:48 pm
Last Post: jughead
  Debate share, young earth? atheism coverup? atheism gain? xr34p3rx 13 10490 March 16, 2014 at 11:30 am
Last Post: fr0d0
  A different definition of atheism. Atheism isn't simply lack of belief in god/s fr0d0 14 12007 August 1, 2012 at 2:54 pm
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  "Old" atheism, "New"atheism, atheism 3.0, WTF? leo-rcc 69 38087 February 2, 2010 at 3:29 am
Last Post: tackattack