Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 5:53 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Matter and energy can be past-eternal
Rainbow 
Matter and energy can be past-eternal
Matter and energy can be past-eternal. This statement is either true or false.

If the statement is true, then we may live in a universe or multiverse where an infinite number of changes occurred before the present occurred; and that there is an infinite amount of order in our universe or multiverse, which is why after an infinite number of changes, we still observe and measure only a finite amount of entropy, permitting new changes to occur in our universe. Moreover, the finite amount of entropy that we measure isn’t really finite. It's actually nonexistent because if the rate of change for entropy is positive and if it were increasing for infinity, then we should be observing a universe with infinite entropy. In other words, the entropy we observe now must either be really zero or it must naturally decrease after an unspecified amount of time despite us currently observing it increasing.

If the statement is false then that means we may live in a universe or multiverse where there has only been a finite number of changes and amount of order. The statement, “There is matter and energy” wasn’t always true. This means literally nothing—or not anything—or nonbeing—has the potential and causal power to produce matter and energy. For example, if there was not anything prior to the big bang, then the big bang would mark an entropy level of zero (or a very low number), but since the universe has only been around for 13.7 billion years, the amount of entropy we would currently be observing in such a universe wouldn't be infinite.

[Image: 32d2b73072089f03502806770693564fb9a476de_large.jpg]
RE: Matter and energy can be past-eternal
Why would we run out of energy?
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

(June 28, 2017 at 4:11 pm)Alex K Wrote: Why would we run out of energy?

I'm referring to entropy but I'll edit my post.
(June 28, 2017 at 4:13 pm)ManofYesterday Wrote:
(June 28, 2017 at 4:11 pm)Alex K Wrote: Why would we run out of energy?

I'm referring to entropy but I'll edit my post.

Who says that when you keep goimg back, entropy needs to keep going down. If the big bang was a minimum of entropy, it goes up in both directions on the time line.
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.

(June 28, 2017 at 4:15 pm)Alex K Wrote:
(June 28, 2017 at 4:13 pm)ManofYesterday Wrote: I'm referring to entropy but I'll edit my post.

Who says that when you keep goimg back, entropy needs to keep going down. If the big bang was a minimum of entropy, it goes up in both directions on the time line.

Scientists say. The big bang had an entropy level that was very low or zero, according to physicists. To talk about what happened before the big bang is meaningless. So entropy started off at zero or a very a low number, then rose over the course of 13.7 billion years. Are you saying there was something before the big bang?
(June 28, 2017 at 4:23 pm)ManofYesterday Wrote:
(June 28, 2017 at 4:15 pm)Alex K Wrote: Who says that when you keep goimg back, entropy needs to keep going down. If the big bang was a minimum of entropy, it goes up in both directions on the time line.

Scientists say. The big bang had an entropy level that was very low or zero, according to physicists. To talk about what happened before the big bang is meaningless. So entropy started off at zero or a very a low number, then rose over the course of 13.7 billion years. Are you saying there was something before the big bang?

I don't know, but it is quite plausible. But you started with the past eternal thing.5

(June 28, 2017 at 4:53 pm)Alex K Wrote:
(June 28, 2017 at 4:23 pm)ManofYesterday Wrote: Scientists say. The big bang had an entropy level that was very low or zero, according to physicists. To talk about what happened before the big bang is meaningless. So entropy started off at zero or a very a low number, then rose over the course of 13.7 billion years. Are you saying there was something before the big bang?

I don't know, but it is quite plausible. But you started with the past eternal thing.5

What are your arguments and evidence for thinking it's quite plausible.
(June 28, 2017 at 5:56 pm)ManofYesterday Wrote:
(June 28, 2017 at 4:53 pm)Alex K Wrote: I don't know, but it is quite plausible. But you started with the past eternal thing.5

What are your arguments and evidence for thinking it's quite plausible.

If you turn back time you get to a very dense and very hot state, and before that, either something like inflation or something alternative. When you turn the clock further you can run into singularities, but these do likely not exist in quantum theory and are just a sign that the classical theory becomes invalid. Quantum theory is expected to smooth these things out by virtue of the uncertainty principle etc, and if one then turns time back some more, what can happen other than going away from this extreme dense state again, i.e. entropy rises. The laws of nature are almost exactly the same backwards and forwards, so I'd expect that something similar can happen going back than when going forward.

(June 29, 2017 at 2:33 pm)Alex K Wrote:
(June 28, 2017 at 5:56 pm)ManofYesterday Wrote: What are your arguments and evidence for thinking it's quite plausible.

If you turn back time you get to a very dense and very hot state, and before that, either something like inflation or something alternative. When you turn the clock further you can run into singularities, but these do likely not exist in quantum theory and are just a sign that the classical theory becomes invalid. Quantum theory is expected to smooth these things out by virtue of the uncertainty principle etc, and if one then turns time back some more, what can happen other than going away from this extreme dense state again, i.e. entropy rises. The laws of nature are almost exactly the same backwards and forwards, so I'd expect that something similar can happen going back than when going forward.

"If you turn back time you get to a very dense and very hot state"

Turn back to what? Do you mean extrapolating backward to the point of the big bang?

"and before that"

Scientists don't know what happened before that. Scientific laws break down at this point. Some scientists say it doesn't even make sense to ask what happened prior to the big bang.

"When you turn the clock further you can run into singularities"

Further? The big bang itself is a singularity.

Moreover, the quantum vacuum itself would need a beginning, according to contemporary science.

In any case, the entropy problem isn't a problem unless you believe the universe is past-eternal and most cosmologists don't think the universe is past-eternal.
What do most cosmologists think about the issue would you say?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Religion is a relic of the past Interaktive 69 5282 December 9, 2022 at 5:31 pm
Last Post: The Architect Of Fate
  God, Energy and Matter Lek 323 24611 October 15, 2019 at 1:58 am
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Response to Darkmatter2525 ""Why Does Anything Matter?" Eik0932 23 2864 September 26, 2018 at 12:08 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  Does Atheism Matter If You're A Slave? freezone 2 1265 November 28, 2017 at 7:29 pm
Last Post: Fidel_Castronaut
  Scientists discover new form of matter in 2017. (The end of human suffering?) %mindless_detector% 17 5193 January 29, 2017 at 11:16 pm
Last Post: ignoramus
  Is Eternal Life Even Desireable? noctalla 72 14908 November 23, 2015 at 3:39 pm
Last Post: Cephus
  Let's create an eternal blissful life through science FreeAtheist 18 4795 October 12, 2015 at 4:03 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
Question Atheists: would proof of the resurrection matter to you? robvalue 55 16569 July 19, 2015 at 6:40 am
Last Post: robvalue
  atheism in centuries past watchamadoodle 32 8833 February 14, 2015 at 5:28 pm
Last Post: Spooky
  Apathetic and Atheist, What does it even matter? LivingNumbers6.626 4 1907 November 21, 2014 at 12:25 am
Last Post: dyresand