Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 16, 2024, 3:35 am

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Expelled the Movie Website
Expelled the Movie Website
Hey everyone, help me ruin a poll; go to http://www.expelledthemovie.com/ and vote "NO!" to he question, "Do you think Darwin's Ideas are outdated," (Because even if they have been updated, the core idea is the still Darwin's).
RE: Expelled the Movie Website
Darwin's ideas are NOT outdated. He didn't get everything right, but who does? Especially when you consider how long ago it was. And he didn't know about genes. But i mean, bloody hell! Darwin's whole theory of evolution by natural selection is just genius! Its TRUE! How can anything scientifically true be outdated?! That's like saying "The theory of gravity is outdated because it was discovered ages ago. So gravity might be more likely to be wrong than we thought. In fact I'd say that the "theory of intelligent falling" Is way more likely! After all! We KNOW God. So we know that he is guiding us when we fall!"
Darwin's ideas are outdated, mainly because they only opened the Evolution theory up, and have since been demolished by our current understanding of Evolution.
Yes- but wouldn't you say that the core idea still applies? And anyway, I have the feeling that the way they mean it on the Expelled website is a little bit different.
(November 14, 2008 at 11:30 pm)Tiberius Wrote: Darwin's ideas are outdated, mainly because they only opened the Evolution theory up, and have since been demolished by our current understanding of Evolution.
Natural selection still applies though right? I mean his core idea as Luke and I say, still applies right? Even if its a different kind of natural selection or whatever.
(November 16, 2008 at 8:07 pm)EvidenceVsFaith Wrote:
(November 14, 2008 at 11:30 pm)Tiberius Wrote: Darwin's ideas are outdated, mainly because they only opened the Evolution theory up, and have since been demolished by our current understanding of Evolution.
Natural selection still applies though right? I mean his core idea as Luke and I say, still applies right? Even if its a different kind of natural selection or whatever.
Yeah, although his original theory of natural selection has been improved on as well. The core idea is what is so strong. It isn't Darwin's fault that his theories were so flawed, because he was going into very complicated science without knowing it. That he managed to work out the ideas of Evolution and Natural Selection without the use of modern technology is nothing more than astounding.

The Expelled site does mean something completely different from "outdated" though; they of course mean "wrong".

You could rightly say that Newton's theories are "outdated" as they are over 300 years old, but it doesn't stop the ideas being the "right ideas" or in the case of Newton's laws of motion, completely correct.
Good to hear. Adrian, could you outline (briefly) the ways that the idea of "Natural Selection" has changed from Darwin's original hypothesis to the contemporary theory?
It's mainly to do with the discovery of genetics and how that influences natural selection (which of course Darwin knew nothing about through no fault of his own). Some articles you may wish to read:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Natural_sel...evelopment
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Modern_evol..._synthesis
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_...ry_thought

Again, with the theory of Evolution, nothing has really changed with the general idea, (that nature selects the beneficial traits). What has happened is that genetics has opened up the explanation of how it all happens.
Thanks for the pages, I will read.

I always wonder what would've happened if Darwin had read Mendel's work, especially since Darwin himself did similar experiments.
(November 17, 2008 at 12:22 am)lukec Wrote: Thanks for the pages, I will read.

I always wonder what would've happened if Darwin had read Mendel's work, especially since Darwin himself did similar experiments.
Without a doubt we'd probably have a better understanding of Evolution! Big Grin

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The Last Movie You Watched Foxaèr 5425 474141 8 hours ago
Last Post: Foxaèr
  What is your movie guilty pleasure? arewethereyet 51 3605 December 18, 2022 at 12:42 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Charles Bronson movie star Woah0 9 761 September 12, 2022 at 10:25 pm
Last Post: onlinebiker
  In Hunchback of Notre Dame Disney movie, does Quasimodo imagine the gargoyles Woah0 5 547 August 24, 2022 at 2:47 pm
Last Post: Woah0
  How come "Snow White Disney movie" was so disliked by J.R.R Tolkien and C.S Lewis Woah0 3 450 August 21, 2022 at 10:56 am
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Soul 2020 movie Woah0 6 455 August 19, 2022 at 4:18 pm
Last Post: Aegon
  Horror movie suggestions BrokenQuill92 16 1542 December 7, 2021 at 5:25 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Parent Trap movie, do you think Lindsay Lohan does British English well in it? Sweden83 6 936 December 5, 2020 at 2:50 pm
  Unhinged movie, what you think of it? Sweden83 5 450 December 3, 2020 at 1:44 pm
  Name a movie that would have been creepy with a sex scene The Valkyrie 40 2213 November 21, 2020 at 12:45 pm
Last Post: BrokenQuill92