Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 18, 2024, 9:59 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Something/nothing/forever and cycles.
Something/nothing/forever and cycles.
Science has not answered everything and we are still learning constantly about the universe and what may or may not have happened before the big bang. 

From my layperson's point of view, and I have to admit that is all it is. I do think there is a "forever", but not in a supernatural sense, or si fi sense, or cognative sense,  but in a cycling between states of on and off back to on. 

I think by seeing "forever" as not infinite regress, but as breaking things up between states of on and off, you avoid begging the question. 

"Nothing lasts forever", if I am viewing what some QM scientists mean by that, in that once in a state of off, another quantum twitch will lead to another big bang. 

Basically, I see this "forever" like seasons changing on the planet and the universe merely in it's temporary on state. And the cycle being the death of our universe becoming the fuel for a future big bang.

Now that is not to say we know that there is a "forever", only in that I am saying that if one could conceive a "forever" it would merely be a natural cycle between states of off and on back to off, ect ect ect.
RE: Something/nothing/forever and cycles.
Scientists in those areas make practical discoveries that pay their wages. For us, working class people, this topic is only for fun.
(April 2, 2021 at 10:42 am)purplepurpose Wrote: Scientists in those areas make practical discoveries that pay their wages. For us, working class people, this topic is only for fun.

Of course. I can't do a fraction to save my life. That is why I admited it was for me a "layperson's perspective".

I would only speculate in QM terms, focusing on the wave function and the gap between particals popping in and out of existance, are where more answers are going to come from. And studying the behavior of black holes too. 

I find science fucking amazing. Like the fact there is not one atom in me now, that was around when my sperm met my egg. I find the fact that color is not in the object, but in light rays and what we precieve is the difference between what gets absorbed by the object and what bounces off the object into our eyes.

It also still freaks me out to think of a particle as both a particle and wave.
(April 2, 2021 at 10:42 am)purplepurpose Wrote: Scientists in those areas make practical discoveries that pay their wages. For us, working class people, this topic is only for fun.

Not quite. Even theoretical discoveries often have real world applications. Science is nothing if not serendipitous.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(April 2, 2021 at 1:25 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote:

Not quite. Even theoretical discoveries often have real world applications. Science is nothing if not serendipitous.

Boru

But is it skinnydipitous? See what I did there?
(April 2, 2021 at 1:28 pm)Brian37 Wrote:
(April 2, 2021 at 1:25 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: Not quite. Even theoretical discoveries often have real world applications. Science is nothing if not serendipitous.

Boru

But is it skinnydipitous? See what I did there?

I saw what you did. It was very stupid.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(April 2, 2021 at 1:31 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote:
(April 2, 2021 at 1:28 pm)Brian37 Wrote: But is it skinnydipitous? See what I did there?

I saw what you did. It was very stupid.

Boru

Humor, try it sometime. It won't kill you.
(April 2, 2021 at 1:38 pm)Brian37 Wrote:
(April 2, 2021 at 1:31 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: I saw what you did. It was very stupid.

Boru

Back atcha, babe.
[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
(April 2, 2021 at 1:38 pm)Brian37 Wrote:
(April 2, 2021 at 1:31 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: I saw what you did. It was very stupid.

Boru

You first.

Boru
(April 2, 2021 at 2:05 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote:
(April 2, 2021 at 1:38 pm)Brian37 Wrote: Humor, try it sometime. It won't kill you.

You first.

Boru

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Something Star Trek Missed onlinebiker 44 3445 May 26, 2019 at 9:19 pm
Last Post: Sal
  Something to Look Forward To, Perhaps Minimalist 16 3928 May 7, 2018 at 12:33 am
Last Post: Minimalist
  Where did science originally come from ? Something Unusual maybe ? Thomas Kelly252525 333 29457 July 9, 2016 at 3:22 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Why groups of people can remember something that didn't happen GrandizerII 4 1566 January 4, 2016 at 7:03 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Something that has been on my mind dyresand 24 3384 December 4, 2015 at 10:22 pm
Last Post: Reforged
  Who Knows. Might Find Something. Minimalist 10 3338 October 25, 2015 at 2:51 pm
  A universe from nothing Lawrence M. Krauss dyresand 10 4530 February 25, 2015 at 1:21 pm
Last Post: Alex K
  "Time does not exist outside of the universe, so nothing can predate the universe." IanHulett 18 6932 February 22, 2015 at 12:20 pm
Last Post: ReptilianPeon
  Something to Look Forward to Minimalist 22 3499 November 12, 2014 at 3:43 pm
  Reproductive cycles lifesagift 26 2554 November 1, 2014 at 2:39 pm
Last Post: Aoi Magi