Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 1:17 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New from NJ
New from NJ
Hi everyone.. just want to introduce myself.. I was raised catholic and after thinking about it for most of last year, I decided to give up what I "believed". I was never a truly religious person, the only times I went to church were for a wedding or a wake/mass service for someone.. I suppose I always lived my life as if there were no god, but deciding to give it up came as a shock to me. I felt like was almost betraying god and yet the more debates I saw on people trying to defend religion and god, the more I saw how ridiculous it really is. So after a couple of months of going back and forth, I officially became an atheist in December of last year. I haven't really told anyone and I'm not sure how to have that conversation with my girlfriend... She's not deeply religious, but she does believe...

any way, thats my story in a nutshell..

Thanks!
Christopher H

PS. how ironic, the meaning behind my name is "bearer of Christ"
QuarkDriven  
   KCCO
North NJ l USA l Earth
Milky Way l The Universe
RE: New from NJ
Christopher H? Hitch, is that you?

Welcome to the forums, Chris. I'm an ex-catholic, too. I hope you stick around.
[Image: giphy.gif]

And welcome
Teenaged X-Files obsession + Bermuda Triangle episode + Self-led school research project = Atheist.
Welcome
(March 10, 2015 at 2:26 pm)Norman Humann Wrote: Christopher H? Hitch, is that you?

Welcome to the forums, Chris. I'm an ex-catholic, too. I hope you stick around.

lol Christopher H as in Hurtado and thanks
QuarkDriven  
   KCCO
North NJ l USA l Earth
Milky Way l The Universe
NJ is New Jersey right?

Welcome
Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you

A strong force I feel in him.

(March 10, 2015 at 2:19 pm)QuarkDriven Wrote: PS. how ironic, the meaning behind my name is "bearer of Christ"

Technically could also be the guy who nailed him up...? Tongue
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

(March 10, 2015 at 2:39 pm)Alex K Wrote: A strong force I feel in him.

(March 10, 2015 at 2:19 pm)QuarkDriven Wrote: PS. how ironic, the meaning behind my name is "bearer of Christ"

Technically could also be the guy who nailed him up...? Tongue

haha this is true... holding him one way or another... or not at all now lol

and yes, NJ is New Jersey
QuarkDriven  
   KCCO
North NJ l USA l Earth
Milky Way l The Universe
Hello Christopher, welcome Smile Well done on taking the final step, it's a brave thing to do.

There's many others here who have been through a religious upbringing, so I'm sure they can relate.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
Welcome, Christopher. Welcome
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Albert Einstein

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New New New Quid 23 4851 December 11, 2012 at 1:42 pm
Last Post: Cyberman