Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 29, 2024, 7:11 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sweden breaks up agreement with Saudi Arabia
Sweden breaks up agreement with Saudi Arabia
Apparently Sweden had an arms deal with Saudi Arabia but it has ended after the latter blocked a human rights' speech from Sweden’s foreign minister, Margot Wallström.

More info here in The Guardian

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/ma...man-rights

Quote:Sweden’s foreign minister has reportedly accused Saudi Arabia of blocking her speech at an Arab League meeting to stop her highlighting human rights cases such as the imprisonment of a blogger for insulting Islam.

Speaking in the Egyptian capital, Cairo, on Monday, Margot Wallström told the TT news agency: “The explanation we have been given is that Sweden has highlighted the situation for democracy and human rights and that is why they do not want me to speak.

“It’s a shame that a country has blocked my participation.”

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/ma...ked-speech

Quote:weden has torn up a decade-long arms agreement with Saudi Arabia after the Saudis blocked the Swedish foreign minister from speaking about human rights to a summit of Arab leaders.

Peter Hultqvist, Sweden’s defence minister, confirmed on Tuesday that the deal was off, removing a cause of division within the country’s left-leaning coalition but deepening a rift with business leaders who implored the government to prolong the agreement.

On Monday, foreign minister Margot Wallström complained at a meeting of the Arab League in Cairo that Saudi Arabia had objected to her planned speech on democracy and women’s rights. She had also condemned the sentencing of Saudi blogger Raef Badawi to a “medieval” punishment of 1,000 lashes.

Overral I agree with this decision. If Saudis don't like Human Rights and specifically women's rights then they don't get the other half of the cake.
Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you

RE: Sweden breaks up agreement with Saudi Arabia
Sounds good to me.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
(March 11, 2015 at 7:13 am)robvalue Wrote: Sounds good to me.
Ditto. Now if only the UK would follow suit...
Sum ergo sum
And the US. But we are the willing sub for their oil BDSM whip.
In every country and every age, the priest had been hostile to Liberty.
- Thomas Jefferson

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Nato, Sweden, Vilnius, Ukraine etc. Nishant Xavier 53 3201 August 7, 2023 at 12:21 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Performers Should Speak Up or Not Attend Saudi Music Festival WinterHold 9 590 December 15, 2021 at 5:31 pm
Last Post: Ranjr
  [Serious] Biden on punishing MBS and Saudi Arabia WinterHold 27 2439 March 23, 2021 at 10:31 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Saudi journalist killed and hacked inside Saudi embassy in Istanbul WinterHold 333 27913 January 16, 2021 at 6:26 pm
  [Serious] G-20 leaders, don’t forget the women’s rights advocates rotting in Saudi prisons WinterHold 47 2200 September 23, 2020 at 6:26 am
  BREAKING: Trump Boasted Of Saving Saudi Prince Over Jamal Khashoggi Killing WinterHold 16 1115 September 13, 2020 at 12:38 pm
Last Post: Abaddon_ire
  BREAKING: Former Twitter employees charged with spying for Saudi Arabia WinterHold 14 898 September 6, 2020 at 12:56 pm
Last Post: The Architect Of Fate
  BREAKING: Saudi Crown Prince accused of assassination plot against exiled official WinterHold 2 501 August 10, 2020 at 10:05 am
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  BREAKING: Oil crashes by most since 1991 as Saudi Arabia launches price war WinterHold 52 3196 April 25, 2020 at 4:37 pm
Last Post: Mr Greene
  CNN- UN expert recommends Kushner change his phone after suspected Saudi hack WinterHold 1 530 January 25, 2020 at 6:04 am