Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 10:34 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New here..need to rant!
New here..need to rant!
Hi, I just joined this forum to have a community to rant to. I need to explode and get it out in hopes others have feedback from the same experience. My family are atheists. We don't beleive in God or religion. If others find that it works for them than I respect this but will try and avoid discussion with such a conflict of interests. I stopped by my work with my 6 and 7 year old today and my boss who loves Jesus told my kids they should pray all the time. He knows I am very atheist and has never challenged my values. I said to him we do not pray and he was shocked and asked how I could deny them God. I said I wouldn't teach them values that I do not believe in. He was dumbfounded by this. I have run across this before in my past when my children come up. As if I am automatically teach my kids to be Christian at birth, like its a real thing, like I'm denying them water of clothes. I prefer to teach my children and install our values and hope they follow our path. If they grow up and seek out God there is not much I can do but would hope they don't. We don't like football or nascar or wwf and greatly divert this as well. Ugh...just needed to rant. Thanks!
RE: New here..need to rant!
Been there done that. Oh, and welcome aboard!

Seriously, that is a conversation that I've had with a number of Christians, just not an employer, at least not yet. The funny thing is that they are just as bothered if we do pray. You see, we used rather generic prayers at bedtime when the girls were young as a useful ritual in getting them to go to bed, with the the added advantage that in wishing a long list of far flung relatives well, they also remembered the relatives. We still say a formulaic prayer at dinner. It means, now is the time for family and table manners. Christians often find these prayers to no one with no belief behind them blasphemous. So you really can't win.

As an aside, both sets of grandparents are quite religious and have sent everything from Vegi Tales, to children's Bibles over the years. We have let the kids watch and then discussed them causally. What we have are teenage atheists who can hold their own when discussing religion.
If there is a god, I want to believe that there is a god.  If there is not a god, I want to believe that there is no god.
Welcome aboard.

So, where are you located? Mississippi? Alabama?? Utah???
(March 14, 2015 at 2:19 pm)Jenny A Wrote: As an aside, both sets of grandparents are quite religious and have sent everything from Vegi Tales, to children's Bibles over the years. We have let the kids watch and then discussed them causally. What we have are teenage atheists who can hold their own when discussing religion.

This! Oh, so much this!

Exposure to viruses, along with treatment, will give you immunity. Exposure to religion, along with rational discussion, does likewise.
Thief and assassin for hire. Member in good standing of the Rogues Guild.
Quote: We still say a formulaic prayer at dinner.

That's fair, Jen.

[Image: Thanks-Jesus_zpsa82a270d.jpeg]
Hello Kiki, welcome Smile

You have found the right place to rant!

It must be very frustrating that it is assumed you will raise your children christian. For some people it seems they can't think in any other way. Of course there's no problem teaching them about christianity, or any other religion. But the idea that you should tell them what to believe is so obnoxious, and judging someone for not doing so is absurd.

If their religion is as self evident as they would like to believe, your children will become christians anyway. The fact that they are disappointed you aren't indoctrinating them betrays their confidence in their horse shit.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
Hi Welcome!
[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
It seems like you're surrounded by assholes like many members here. Welcome
Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you

A hale and hearty welcome to yourself and your rant.

Every so often one needs to vent and that is easier to do when you have an understanding and friendly audience.

Like here.
So how, exactly, does God know that She's NOT a brain in a vat? Huh
I can imagine if I had kids, my grandmother would want me to take them to church. My sister and her husband too, I suppose. Of course I wouldn't send my young children to any churches in town, but I also wouldn't keep them from it when they're older. They don't need any early childhood indoctrination.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  preachers on AF rant drfuzzy 44 7793 September 1, 2015 at 11:31 am
Last Post: thehedglin
Bug Rant on the "Soul-Making" Theodicy- WARNING MAY INDUCE VOMITING StealthySkeptic 13 3612 July 19, 2014 at 5:14 pm
Last Post: StealthySkeptic
  I need help naming this new religion Escherscurtain 14 2276 March 24, 2014 at 1:35 pm
Last Post: Escherscurtain
  Does the world need religion, even if it doesn't need God? Darwinian 21 9805 January 25, 2012 at 9:31 am
Last Post: J.Wylie
  Hotel bosses rant against Muslim guest. leo-rcc 18 6226 December 17, 2009 at 11:07 am
Last Post: HornyJesus