Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 4:44 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why do you listen to the music you listen to?
Why do you listen to the music you listen to?
I personally love Avenged Sevenfold, I know some of their songs are religious but I still really like the sound of them. I actually know... uh... every word to every one of their songs...... But not because I agree with what they mean but because I like their sound, they have no songs that disappoint me... instrumentally at least.

So why do you listen to the music you listen to?
CHRISTIANITY: The belief that some cosmic Jewish Zombie can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him that you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree.

Makes perfect sense.

Give a man a fish, and you'll feed him for a day; give him a religion, and he'll starve to death while praying for a fish.
RE: Why do you listen to the music you listen to?
I just listen to songs depending on what mood I'm in. My 3 favourite bands are SOAD, Prodigy and Rammstein.

I guess I'm usually angry.
I'm a long-time amateur musician (piano, guitar, bass, synths) with a deep interest in music. Ran a small recording studio for a while.

My tastes are broad and tend to go in cycles. Everything from Beethoven to Bartok, Beatles to Soundgarden, Radiohead, and a heavy heavy helping of 70s-tinged stoner/doom/metally stuff. Playing a lot of 70s style guitar myself, I just love those Black Sabbath-influenced guitars. I like a lot of retro bands doing 60's influenced music, but with a modern sound. Brianjonestown Massacre for example. In some ways, better than an authentic 60s sound.

For rock/pop, I suppose it is the power of the sound, the driving nature of that sort of music when it all comes together in synchronicity.

For classical (or more precise, Western art music), it's the incredible skill used to create great works of art. Some are transcendent. I still remember hearing Carlo Maria Guilini conducting the LA Philharmonic in Brahms 4th Symphony. It was so intense and passionate, like a religious experience I suppose. Live, large orchestra, playing something like Stravinsky's Firebird or Rite of Spring, up there in intensity with a metal band in some ways.

That's the beauty of art forms. Something for everyone. I do like angry music. Seems to put me in a good mood. Like the blues can cheer you up.
I love both "classical" and extreme music. My favourite early and baroque music, which I sometimes also perform in as a singer, is often necessarily sacred, like the Monteverdi vespers, cantatas by Buxtehude, Schütz, Bach, the St. Matthews passion, but also the great Mozart et al requiem, but later there are more large secular works like the Beethoven, Brahms and Bruckner (5+8!!!) Symphonies. I also love much early 20th century music (see avatar). The sheer complexity of construction of some bach fugues, or a schoenberg concerto, is mind boggling, even if I lack the education to appreciate them completely.

In extreme music, mostly dark, death and tech death metal.

Why? Good question. I listen to both for much the same reasons - it makes me feel good and it is interesting. It completes or helps induce a certain emotional state and outlook on life. It lets me have different thoughts, and it allows to have emotional-"spiritual" experiences which otherwise are inaccessible
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

I think most people listen to bands A, B and C for reasons D, E, and F, so I'll narrow the scope a little.

Why I listen to my favorite band: GORILLAZ

1. Damon Albarn is awesome. Like, his voice, and his lyrics, and his brain.
2. They're extremely experimental/artistic. Dramatically different genres and sounds are laced together intelligently throughout each album, which has a clearly defined concept. Progression of mood and song order are important to me on an album, and Gorillaz does it better than anyone I've heard.
2a. They're animated. This means they don't have to follow the same rules as other bands. Russel had a ghost inside of him, Murdoc exchanged bullets with Bruce Willis, and Noodle grew up from a ten-year-old girl shipped in a box to a hardened killing machine capable of bringing down jet fighters.
3. So many guest artists, and used to brilliant effect. In fact, I believe Plastic Beach had more guest artists than songs. This includes such luminaries as the late Bobby Womack (Stylo, Cloud of Unknowing), Lou Reed (Some Kind of Nature), and Dennis Hopper (Fire Coming Out of the Monkey's Head), plus Snoop Dogg, Mos Def, Mick Jones & Paul Simonon, as well as - quite famously - De La Soul.
4. Most importantly, they're fun to listen to. Underlying what I consider to be brilliant music and vision is simply a bubbly kind of funk, a weariness tinged with optimism that just sort of says "things are going to hell, so, fuck it, let's just groove".
How will we know, when the morning comes, we are still human? - 2D

Don't worry, my friend.  If this be the end, then so shall it be.
(March 16, 2015 at 12:08 pm)Alex K Wrote: I love both "classical" and extreme music. My favourite early and baroque music is often necessarily sacred, like the Monteverdi oratorios, cantatas by Buxtehude, Schütz, Bach, the St. Matthews passion, but also the great Mozart et al requiem, but later there are more large secular works like the Beethoven, Brahms and Bruckner (5+8!!!) Symphonies. I also love much early 20th century music (see avatar).

I was thinking we need a "classical" music thread. There might be three or five or ten who would participate.

I don't run across many who would put Heinrich Schütz on list of music they like! Not for lack of quality, as he was a master. Perhaps a bit obscure, but not I suppose if you are into pre-Baroque stuff. I like me some Schütz as well.

Def prefer Bruckner over Mahler, particularly his 8th and unfinished 9th.
Sometimes it's just one thing, one little element of a song, that'll keep me coming back. There's actually one Japanese metal song that I don't even like, but I keep listening to it because the final repetition of the chorus contains a like five second flourish from a backup singer that works really well.

Speaking of Japanese music, I also like listening to music sung in languages I don't speak, because when the lyrics don't have any meaning to them I can concentrate more on how everything sounds. Japanese and French, in particular, can have some particularly nice sounding lyrics, whether they work as actual sentences or not.

Just generally, I really enjoy complex, unified music, where each individual instrument is distinct and skillfully played, yet combine into something equally wonderful. That's why I like classical music too; a well placed violin flourish or brass kick can help transform a piece I otherwise might not enjoy so much.

With rock, I need momentum, a consistent sense of speed or inertia, if that makes sense. Music has a sense of physicality to me, the rock stuff especially; I've always thought that if a song can make me design an action scene or narrative beat from what I'm currently writing around it, it has succeeded. It's something I've always done, imagined little diegetic scenes around pieces of music that particularly strike me.

Conversely, a lot of my own music comes about the same way in reverse: here's a scene, it needs a soundtrack. Big Grin
"YOU take the hard look in the mirror. You are everything that is wrong with this world. The only thing important to you, is you." - ronedee

Want to see more of my writing? Check out my (safe for work!) site, Unprotected Sects!
(March 16, 2015 at 12:20 pm)JesusHChrist Wrote:
(March 16, 2015 at 12:08 pm)Alex K Wrote: I love both "classical" and extreme music. My favourite early and baroque music is often necessarily sacred, like the Monteverdi oratorios, cantatas by Buxtehude, Schütz, Bach, the St. Matthews passion, but also the great Mozart et al requiem, but later there are more large secular works like the Beethoven, Brahms and Bruckner (5+8!!!) Symphonies. I also love much early 20th century music (see avatar).

I was thinking we need a "classical" music thread. There might be three or five or ten who would participate.
Please do!
Quote:I don't run across many who would put Heinrich Schütz on list of music they like! Not for lack of quality, as he was a master. Perhaps a bit obscure, but not I suppose if you are into pre-Baroque stuff.
I love the sound of renaissance music, so I looked around what there is in early baroque as well. But you run into Schütz quickly if you sing in a choir and you're in Germany.
Quote: I like me some Schütz as well.

Def prefer Bruckner over Mahler, particularly his 8th and unfinished 9th.
Oh yeah!
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

(March 16, 2015 at 12:24 pm)Alex K Wrote: But you run into Schütz quickly if you sing in a choir and you're in Germany.

That work of Schütz with just brass, maybe just trombones, and a baritone(?), Fili Mi Absolon I think, is one of my favorites. Dark and sad.

He doesn't seem to get much air time in the US unfortunately.
I like instrumentals...
I noticed that a few years ago, when my music collection became mostly Vangelis albums and movie soundtracks... and movies consisting mostly of songs didn't rank too well on my taste... I just wanted to have some nice pleasant sounds in my mind to let it spread its wings and attempt to review the movies portrayed musically.
Of course, some songs are mandatory, The Lion king features some nice ones and so does Shrek.

I'm not a fan of angry music... I may have enough of angry sounds in my head and I just want to soothe them with nice melodies, even if they are these:

I think this soundtrack is awesome!

Hmm... now that I think about it... Vangelis's albums are mostly soundtracks...

Oh yeah... classical music too... duh!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Looking for country music singers similar to Alan Jackson rado84 5 614 July 31, 2023 at 10:27 am
Last Post: rado84
  Christian music you actually like? JairCrawford 31 2731 June 17, 2022 at 10:58 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  New Ahem Music Istvan 1 408 March 20, 2022 at 3:39 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  New music, Old music Ahriman 79 6436 November 5, 2021 at 5:12 pm
Last Post: Oldandeasilyconfused
  Listening to music popeyespappy 35 3511 September 27, 2021 at 10:20 pm
Last Post: popeyespappy
  Michael Jackson - can you listen without feeling a bit "noncey"? Duty 7 413 December 14, 2020 at 9:57 pm
Last Post: Foxaèr
  Music Composition FlatAssembler 1 251 May 22, 2020 at 3:08 pm
  Carrie fans and country music. Brian37 13 1163 May 16, 2020 at 8:54 pm
  My new favorite song of all time excluding classical music Alex K 1 593 January 26, 2020 at 10:09 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  Never a flash in the pan. MUSIC. Brian37 19 1644 December 7, 2019 at 3:58 pm
Last Post: no one