Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 10:55 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Researchers may have solved origin-of-life conundrum
Researchers may have solved origin-of-life conundrum
Not really my field but very interesting nonetheless.

http://www.nature.com/nchem/journal/v7/n....2155.html

http://news.sciencemag.org/biology/2015/...-conundrum

Scientists have long touted their own favorite scenarios for which set of biomolecules formed first. “RNA World” proponents, for example suggest RNA may have been the pioneer; not only is it able to carry genetic information, but it can also serve as a proteinlike chemical catalyst, speeding up certain reactions. Metabolism-first proponents, meanwhile, have argued that simple metal catalysts, as opposed to advanced protein-based enzymes, may have created a soup of organic building blocks that could have given rise to the other biomolecules.

For their current study, Sutherland and his colleagues set out to work backward from those chemicals to see if they could find a route to RNA from even simpler starting materials. They succeeded. In the current issue of Nature Chemistry, Sutherland’s team reports that it created nucleic acid precursors starting with just hydrogen cyanide (HCN), hydrogen sulfide (H2S), and ultraviolet (UV) light. What is more, Sutherland says, the conditions that produce nucleic acid precursors also create the starting materials needed to make natural amino acids and lipids. That suggests a single set of reactions could have given rise to most of life’s building blocks simultaneously.
RE: Researchers may have solved origin-of-life conundrum
Sounds exciting, too bad I don't know much about it either. We need an expert in the forum!
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

I'm generally leery of popular science reporting...they nearly always shove in over-hyped or sensationalized lines or conclusions not present in the actual study to catch readers' attentions.

[Image: how-science-reporting-works_20120523003757.jpg]
In every country and every age, the priest had been hostile to Liberty.
- Thomas Jefferson
(March 17, 2015 at 8:37 am)TubbyTubby Wrote: Scientists have long touted their own favorite scenarios for which set of biomolecules formed first. “RNA World” proponents, for example suggest RNA may have been the pioneer; not only is it able to carry genetic information, but it can also serve as a proteinlike chemical catalyst, speeding up certain reactions. Metabolism-first proponents, meanwhile, have argued that simple metal catalysts, as opposed to advanced protein-based enzymes, may have created a soup of organic building blocks that could have given rise to the other biomolecules.

Good answers for sane people.
But too much information for theists.
There's more than one answer here and it takes work to understand. You offer only speculations which will always be open to the absurdist gainsaying question: "Were you there." This, the persistently irrational find compelling. Checkmate atheist.

But cool stuff nevertheless.
Thanks
So how, exactly, does God know that She's NOT a brain in a vat? Huh
(March 17, 2015 at 8:46 am)FatAndFaithless Wrote: I'm generally leery of popular science reporting...

Me, too. There is so much bad science reporting out there. In this country here as well, and as a hobby science popularizer, this irks me very much.
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

One cannot dumb science down enough so that an idiot who believes in an invisible sky daddy will understand it. Best to ignore them and deal with smarter people.
(March 17, 2015 at 8:44 am)Alex K Wrote: Sounds exciting, too bad I don't know much about it either. We need an expert in the forum!

Alas I'm not currently subscribed to Nature so can't access the paper beyond the abstract.

That said there's another paper coming off the Kepler results predicting habitable planets in most star systems...
http://mnras.oxfordjournals.org/content/448/4/3608.full
Quote:I don't understand why you'd come to a discussion forum, and then proceed to reap from visibility any voice that disagrees with you. If you're going to do that, why not just sit in front of a mirror and pat yourself on the back continuously?
-Esquilax

Evolution - Adapt or be eaten.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Life eating other life. Brian37 42 2240 May 14, 2021 at 4:44 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Our Wold may end, according to leading scientists. Jehanne 8 535 April 15, 2021 at 12:48 pm
Last Post: brewer
  quality of life or life for life's sake tackattack 37 2296 November 24, 2018 at 9:29 am
Last Post: Little lunch
  I may have posted the before. This is totally disturbing to me. brewer 6 1055 April 12, 2018 at 7:46 pm
Last Post: RoadRunner79
  It may not be the OPP that has HPV. brewer 8 1171 April 9, 2017 at 7:19 am
Last Post: brewer
  Maple syrup may save millions Amarok 9 863 April 7, 2017 at 9:33 pm
Last Post: Chad32
  Chimps may have entered their stone age. downbeatplumb 54 8712 February 19, 2016 at 10:04 pm
Last Post: ignoramus
  Five things about animal taxonomy that may or may not surprise you. Duke Guilmon 9 3364 March 24, 2015 at 4:14 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Abiogenesis solved? max-greece 23 6737 January 8, 2015 at 1:48 pm
Last Post: FatAndFaithless
  Cave art discovery in Indonesia force rethink of origin of art. Anomalocaris 20 4578 October 11, 2014 at 12:24 am
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus