Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 5:42 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Five things about animal taxonomy that may or may not surprise you.
Five things about animal taxonomy that may or may not surprise you.
5. Toads are frogs, pandas are bears, etc, etc:

[Image: 240px-Bufo_bufo.jpg]

This one is to break some ice and start this list. This is really to stop misunderstandings of animal taxonomy we were taught. The toads are frogs is an example. In taxonomy frogs are known as an order called anura. Just so happens toads belong to that group. Now one can argue that toads are different from the normal frog, but looking at the order, what frogs are the same? In fact toad are not just one group but multiple groups. In fact many of these toad groups are more related to frogs than other toads. The reason people say pandas are not bears, toads are not frogs, and humans are not apes is a little something called folk taxonomy. Folk taxonomy, as you can guess, is taxonomy made by every day people in contrast with scientific taxonomy. And as we can see folk taxonomy is way less accurate and way less reliable than actual taxonomy

4.There is no species of panther:

[Image: 3189913_pone.0025483.g003.png]

Another thing people tend to get wrong is that there is something called a panther as a species. However in reality there isn't. The leopard and the jaguar are what is most commonly given some sort of panther species status. However panthers are in fact a subfamily known as pantherinae, which belongs to the family felidae. That means tigers and lions are also panthers. Again, people not seeing things.

3.Humans don't rule, ants do:

Humans may think they are the best because they can destroy a planet, but in reality ants seem to take the cake in control. Now springtails may be the most populous animal today, but ants have power and force on their side. In fact they say some animals run at the sight of them. Now you may say it is unfair to consider that homo sapiens is a smaller taxonomic group than ants but in fact ants are a family, which is not that far off from species. Even then the argument is irrelevant. Keep in mind that this is only between animals and remember humans are second ants first.

2.Birds of Prey, Fish, and Bug are not what they seem:

[Image: falcon.jpg]

For example bird of prey is used to describe birds like owls, hawks, falcons, vultures, and ospreys. However genetics begs to differ if this birds are closely related in the way people think they are. For example falcons are part of a group called psittacopasserae, which if you can tell by the first part of the name, falcons are more related to parrots than other birds of prey. In fact old world vultures are more related to hawks and eagles and new world vultures are more related to storks

Fish plays a different role as it is the fact that like birds of prey there is not taxonomic group for all fishes. In fact at best it just describes no tetrapod vertebrates. In fact there are five main classes that we call fishes, the most popular be ray-finned fish and Chondrichthyes(because of sharks).

You see my point this again addresses that just because every body calls it they does not make it a fact. Not to say fish, bug, or bird of prey is not used in science, they have their uses, but they are not what people think they are.

1. You can drown a crab

[Image: hqdefault.jpg]

^

Yeah that one. Thanks to the gills being vestigial and not used for breathing you can drown the thing. If any one actually goes and drowns this fucking thing with their bear hands, I would give you money. Like seriously somebody should do it, we could eat it afterwards. Oh right the taxonomy part. Well this is because they belong to a family called coenobitidae. This crabs are all terrestrial hermit crabs. This animals have evolved a life on land over water, sorta like arthropods did once in the silurian period millions of years ago.
[Image: guilmon_evolution_by_davidgtm3-d4gb5rp.gif]https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOW_Ioi2wtuPa88FvBmnBgQ my youtube
RE: Five things about animal taxonomy that may or may not surprise you.
Are pumas, mountain lions, and cougars all the same thing ?

{please hide mutant crab thing PanicPanicPanicPanicPanicPanic}
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

Linnean taxonomy is in DESPERATE need of replacement. It is predicated on the view that species are absolutes, rather than genetic ranges. Basically, it assumes creation, not evolution. I had to build a database for all ungulate, primate and carnivore species, then another for all their diseases and parasites. I finally created a translation table, to turn old names into new names, so I could update it yearly.Freaking NIGHTMARE.
My book, a setting for fantasy role playing games based on Bantu mythology: Ubantu
Some of your information seems outdated. New World vultures are now classed as more closely related to Accipitriformes than to Ciconiiformes.

On a somewhat related note, New Zealand is home to the world's largest parrot. It is alpine, about as intelligent as the corvids, and nests on the ground. How cool is THAT??

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
I noticed that there is an odd tendency to name primates after mythical devils....there are baal, moloch and even an asomodeus - know any?
My book, a setting for fantasy role playing games based on Bantu mythology: Ubantu
To fuck with the creationists.
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
(March 21, 2015 at 6:04 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: Some of your information seems outdated. New World vultures are now classed as more closely related to Accipitriformes than to Ciconiiformes.

On a somewhat related note, New Zealand is home to the world's largest parrot. It is alpine, about as intelligent as the corvids, and nests on the ground. How cool is THAT??

Boru

The Kea? It eats meat, doesn't it?

Which is more likely - that life forms adapted to deep ocean vents arose entirely separately from everything else - or - that one or the other arose first and gave rise to the other?
Great Thread!
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

Cool stuff, very interesting, thanks!

I remember hearing something about that last one:

http://youtu.be/2g1fr5vk72M
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
(March 24, 2015 at 2:47 am)whateverist Wrote:
(March 21, 2015 at 6:04 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: Some of your information seems outdated. New World vultures are now classed as more closely related to Accipitriformes than to Ciconiiformes.

Boru

The Kea? It eats meat, doesn't it?

Which is more likely - that life forms adapted to deep ocean vents arose entirely separately from everything else - or - that one or the other arose first and gave rise to the other?

Yup, they were very nearly hunted to extinction for killing sheep.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Animal Experts....... Brian37 29 1429 December 30, 2018 at 11:32 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Without rape, most animal species would go extinct Alexmahone 34 4419 May 25, 2018 at 11:25 am
Last Post: sdelsolray
  It may not be the OPP that has HPV. brewer 8 1170 April 9, 2017 at 7:19 am
Last Post: brewer
  Carthaginian DNA - Not So Much Of A Surprise. Minimalist 0 1288 May 26, 2016 at 12:48 am
Last Post: Minimalist
  Now This Is No Fucking Surprise!!!! Minimalist 4 1911 April 27, 2012 at 11:07 pm
Last Post: Matt231
  Animal Sounds Rayaan 6 2325 February 26, 2012 at 12:35 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  "One Animal Researcher Refuses to Hide " Autumnlicious 10 4118 January 15, 2012 at 6:39 pm
Last Post: Oldandeasilyconfused
  Ligers, Totally my favorite animal ever! Eilonnwy 8 2662 August 18, 2010 at 2:57 am
Last Post: leo-rcc