Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 9:26 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Raised as a Christian - looking for discussion
Raised as a Christian - looking for discussion
Hello,

My name is Griffin. I am 18 years old and I was raised in a conservative Christian home. At this point in my life I am looking for satisfying answers. I consider myself fairly intellectual and I am open to being convinced by well-reasoned arguments. I'm sometimes disappointed by many "Christians" lack of common sense and reason.

This is a little intimidating, and I hope this forum is not a terribly unfriendly place. I wish to have real, meaningful discussions without name-calling, flaming, or nonsense. Hopefully I can find that here. Smile
RE: Raised as a Christian - looking for discussion
The intro forums are not the place for such discussions but you have done the obligatory intro thread so, welcome. Pick one of the religion forums and start asking your questions.
(March 17, 2015 at 10:01 pm)Minimalist Wrote: The intro forums are not the place for such discussions but you have done the obligatory intro thread so, welcome. Pick one of the religion forums and start asking your questions.

Sure thing. Thanks for the response.
Hi Griffin, welcome to AF!
(March 17, 2015 at 9:46 pm)GriffinHunter Wrote: Hello,

My name is Griffin. I am 18 years old and I was raised in a conservative Christian home. At this point in my life I am looking for satisfying answers. I consider myself fairly intellectual and I am open to being convinced by well-reasoned arguments. I'm sometimes disappointed by many "Christians" lack of common sense and reason.

This is a little intimidating, and I hope this forum is not a terribly unfriendly place. I wish to have real, meaningful discussions without name-calling, flaming, or nonsense. Hopefully I can find that here. Smile

Welcome aboard Griff. Our resident cookie lady is feeling a bit under the weather so I'm trying to fill in...
[Image: weed-brownies.jpg]
Just don't Bogart 'em, ok? Big Grin

Satisfying answers:
Read the buy-bull (*), read a 7th grade earth sciences text, read a 7th grade biology text. These three things should make it painfully obvious.

*The way a book should be read. Front to back, no study guide, no pastor/priest/rabbi/medicine man/shaman giving you direction and telling you what it really means (according to his interpretation).

Don't worry, we're pretty chill around here, unless you start trying to tell us what we think and/or believe. I'm not getting that vibe from you so have a brownie, kick back and sit a spell.
Thief and assassin for hire. Member in good standing of the Rogues Guild.
Thanks for the welcome, guys!

Mmm... what's in this brownie anyways? It tastes... nice.
(March 17, 2015 at 10:08 pm)SnakeOilWarrior Wrote: Don't worry, we're pretty chill around here, unless you start trying to tell us what we think and/or believe. I'm not getting that vibe from you so have a brownie, kick back and sit a spell.
Shame on you.
You corrupter of youth!

You are drawing in a mere (guessing on gender here) lad and I think your intentions are clear!

You are going to give him free rein to THINK FOR HIMSELF.
Hrmph!

BTW Welcome Griff
Have a brownie.
So how, exactly, does God know that She's NOT a brain in a vat? Huh
(March 17, 2015 at 10:14 pm)JuliaL Wrote: You are going to give him free rein to THINK FOR HIMSELF.

Yeah, I like doing that! Tongue
It bugs me that so many "people of faith" choose to make themselves anti-intellectual; I really don't think it has to be that way.
(March 17, 2015 at 10:14 pm)GriffinHunter Wrote: Thanks for the welcome, guys!

Mmm... what's in this brownie anyways? It tastes... nice.
I'm not tellin'... Angel

(March 17, 2015 at 10:14 pm)JuliaL Wrote: Shame on you.
You corrupter of youth!

You are drawing in a mere (guessing on gender here) lad and I think your intentions are clear!

You are going to give him free rein to THINK FOR HIMSELF.
Hrmph!
Guilty as charged! Big Grin
Thief and assassin for hire. Member in good standing of the Rogues Guild.
So that's where my special brownies went. I knew I hadn't gone through them all that quickly. I'm sure there was more than that though.

Welcome aboard, Griff, make yourself at home. We don't all bite. Well, not so as to leave marks anyway.
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Looking for like-minded people, I found this forum! LivingForever 33 4006 November 3, 2016 at 4:22 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  looking for an intilectual sparing partner Soldat Du Christ 74 7679 October 24, 2016 at 10:32 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  Another man looking for truth Dayron 41 6216 August 18, 2015 at 8:05 pm
Last Post: Iroscato
Tongue Looking for a place to belong pocket god 18 3049 May 26, 2015 at 6:02 pm
Last Post: Kitty Galore
  Hello All, I Was Brutally Raised Catholic Eel_LahjicK 11 2388 August 15, 2014 at 7:53 pm
Last Post: KichigaiNeko
  Hey everyone looking for a fresh start teslafie 3 1182 July 1, 2014 at 8:17 am
Last Post: KichigaiNeko
Tongue Looking for some atheists friends,Would like to widen my skills in debating. MountainsWinAgain 16 3203 May 22, 2014 at 3:27 pm
Last Post: Simon Moon
  Hello, is it you i'm looking for? I can see it in your eyes... djkamilo 13 2568 January 4, 2014 at 4:52 am
Last Post: Aractus
  Hello...Looking to learn more here StoryBook 25 4989 December 20, 2013 at 3:09 pm
Last Post: rexbeccarox
  Looking for new forum home. Hobbitgirl 41 6824 November 1, 2013 at 9:01 am
Last Post: Ben Davis