Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 23, 2024, 11:18 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Does Dark Matter give merit to the Bible?
Does Dark Matter give merit to the Bible?
“So, the other day I was watching a show about how the universe works on the science channel. They showed experiments where they tried to create a mock universe in a test lab using gravity. It ALWAYS failed. That is when they started talking about Dark Matter. Being the science geek that I am, I started paying close attention to this. As they explained, there is something ELSE other than gravity that is holding the universe together. It cannot be seen or measured, however, it IS there. They do not know what it is so they named it Dark Matter. Here's a definition:
Dark matter is a hypothetical kind of matter which cannot be seen with telescopes but accounts for most of the matter in the Universe. The existence and properties of dark matter are inferred from its gravitational effects on visible matter, radiation and the large-scale structure of the cosmos. It has not been detected directly, making it one of the greatest mysteries in modern astrophysics.
So I kind of giggled when the show talked on and on about this "mysterious dark matter" that holds the universe together. Doesn't the bible talk about this?
Hebrews 11:3
By faith we understand that the universe was created by the word of God, so that what is seen was not made out of things that are visible.
Interesting… VERY INTERESTING”

----------
A friend of myn posted this to me on FB as one of his arguments in favor of Christianity. Frankly, I find the whole concept of trying to creat a mock universe with conventional physics and logic stupid. Because we dont know how things were "before" the big bang or before existance itself and I feel even if we did we would have to recreate the conditions necessary to do such a thing successfully.

then again...im no physicist.

In previouse comments he tried pulling the whole,
"One needs only look at the wonders of the universe to know god exists."

Whats your thoughts on the matter?
RE: Does Dark Matter give merit to the Bible?
There is nothing that gives merit to the Bible.
Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
Here's dark matter for the bible....

[Image: dogshit.jpg]
(March 19, 2015 at 2:17 am)Chas Wrote: There is nothing that gives merit to the Bible.

I wasnt saying there was but appearantly my friend is very convinced this gives the bible some form of validity.
It might be detectable in other ways. That's why there are experiments like CDMS, Dama/Libra, Xenon, ADMX, etc... , as well as searches for dark matter anihilation in galactic centers and dwarf galaxies, as well as searches for missing energy at the LHC. If something is found there, will your friend throw the bible in the trash because it's wrong and not divinely inspired? Didn't think so...
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

As to the OP, no.
wolfclan96

Your friend's quote itself contains an outright contradiction: first it is stated that "something ELSE other than gravity that is holding the universe together" then "The existence and properties of dark matter are inferred from its gravitational effects on visible matter". Of course it could be said that it is gravitational attraction of visible massive matter which is meant under the term "gravity" in the first phrase but even so it's a sign of poor expertise.
No. People will see whatever they want to see in the text if they have already decided it's a magical book.

Notice how no one ever comes up with an amazing scientific hypothesis from the bible that is way outside our understanding, and is later confirmed. We only "realize" the bible told us about it in retrospect.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
The Bible contains something like three quarters of a million words. Given the scope and pace of the increase of scientific knowledge, some collections of words in the Bible are bound to coincide with what we now know or theorize about the universe.

This does not, however, validate the Bible - 'coincide' and 'coincidence' mean the same thing. By way of example, Robert E. Howard once wrote a short story which featured an Irish fisherman called Sean who was a local champion at bare-knuckled fighting. One of my brothers is called Sean - he's an avid fisherman and boxed semi-professionally in his younger days. Are we to conclude from this that Howard was somehow predicting the details of my family's life? Let's not be daft. 'Sean' is one of the most common names in Ireland, and it's a rare Irishman who doesn't like to wet a hook or punch people recreationally.

Tell your little friend that even a busted clock is right twice a day.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(March 19, 2015 at 3:27 am)Smaug Wrote: wolfclan96

Your friend's quote itself contains an outright contradiction: first it is stated that "something ELSE other than gravity that is holding the universe together" then "The existence and properties of dark matter are inferred from its gravitational effects on visible matter". Of course it could be said that it is gravitational attraction of visible massive matter which is meant under the term "gravity" in the first phrase but even so it's a sign of poor expertise.

No, yes, you're absolutely right. If you start reinterpreting words like that, you can conclude anything you want. It's not something other than gravity, it's still gravity.
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Dark matter vs. MOND LinuxGal 3 539 August 23, 2023 at 8:07 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Rethinking Dark Matter/Dark energy.... Brian37 11 2479 January 26, 2018 at 7:50 pm
Last Post: Jehanne
  Does the Higgs Boson Give Mass to Other Bosons? Rhondazvous 9 1790 August 3, 2017 at 7:36 am
Last Post: Rhondazvous
  Origin of Matter RedSox 50 18575 June 13, 2017 at 10:10 am
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  Anti-Matter at CERN chimp3 24 3386 December 21, 2016 at 7:12 am
Last Post: I_am_not_mafia
  Newest super-sensitive test failed to catch a Dark Matter particle. Why? theBorg 40 6062 August 21, 2016 at 2:13 pm
Last Post: Alex K
  A dark bulb ErGingerbreadMandude 29 2974 July 11, 2016 at 2:09 pm
Last Post: Jake Long
  Could this explian what Dark matter and Dark energy is? Blueyedlion 49 7213 June 13, 2016 at 10:28 am
Last Post: Jackalope
  Does the Law of Conservation of Matter/Energy Disallow Time Travel? Ari Sheffield 52 10674 March 24, 2016 at 5:04 am
Last Post: robvalue
  How are Dark Mtter and Consciousness different from Spirit? Rhondazvous 100 16316 February 12, 2016 at 11:41 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger