Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 4:49 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Does the Higgs Boson Give Mass to Other Bosons?
Does the Higgs Boson Give Mass to Other Bosons?
Or in what way is interaction with the hb different for another boson (any boson) than for a fermion?
The god who allows children to be raped out of respect for the free will choice of the rapist, but punishes gay men for engaging in mutually consensual sex couldn't possibly be responsible for an intelligently designed universe.

I may defend your right to free speech, but i won't help you pass out flyers.

Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.
--Voltaire

Nietzsche isn't dead. How do I know he lives? He lives in my mind.
RE: Does the Higgs Boson Give Mass to Other Bosons?
OP title: If they are not catholic clergy why should they? 

God particle after all?
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
(August 2, 2017 at 1:38 pm)mh.brewer Wrote: OP title: If they are not catholic clergy why should they? 

God particle after all?

Do you exist just to tease me?
The god who allows children to be raped out of respect for the free will choice of the rapist, but punishes gay men for engaging in mutually consensual sex couldn't possibly be responsible for an intelligently designed universe.

--Voltaire

(August 2, 2017 at 2:18 pm)Rhondazvous Wrote:
(August 2, 2017 at 1:38 pm)mh.brewer Wrote: OP title: If they are not catholic clergy why should they? 

God particle after all?

Do you exist just to tease me?

If I see a potential pun I just can't let it go. So it's not just you, but you're still special.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
(August 2, 2017 at 1:07 pm)Rhondazvous Wrote: Or in what way is interaction with the hb different for another boson (any boson) than for a fermion?

The Higgs field provides some of the so called electroweak vector bosons, the W+,W- and the Z bosons, with their mass. The photon is, by definition, the one boson among this group that remains unaffected by the higgs field and therefore massless. Then there are the gluons which don't get affected by the higgs field at all because the higgs field does not parttake in the strong interaction of Chromodynamics which is mediated by the gluons. So outside the Higgs boson, that leaves us with the W and Z bosons who.get a mass from the Higgs field and he Photon and Gluons who don't.
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

(August 2, 2017 at 6:07 pm)Alex K Wrote:
(August 2, 2017 at 1:07 pm)Rhondazvous Wrote: Or in what way is interaction with the hb different for another boson (any boson) than for a fermion?

The Higgs field provides some of the so called electroweak vector bosons, the W+,W- and the Z bosons, with their mass. The photon is, by definition, the one boson among this group that remains unaffected by the higgs field and therefore massless. Then there are the gluons which don't get affected by the higgs field at all because the higgs field does not parttake in the strong interaction of Chromodynamics which is mediated by the gluons. So outside the Higgs boson, that leaves us with the W and Z bosons who.get a mass from the Higgs field and he Photon and Gluons who don't.

Are they Super Gluons or Elmer's Gluons? HA I MADE A FUNNY!
(August 2, 2017 at 6:07 pm)Alex K Wrote: The Higgs field provides some of the so called electroweak vector bosons, the W+,W- and the Z bosons, with their mass. The photon is, by definition, the one boson among this group that remains unaffected by the higgs field and therefore massless. Then there are the gluons which don't get affected by the higgs field at all because the higgs field does not parttake in the strong interaction of Chromodynamics which is mediated by the gluons. So outside the Higgs boson, that leaves us with the W and Z bosons who.get a mass from the Higgs field and he Photon and Gluons who don't.

If all scientist could explain things as clearly as you do, the world would be ten times smarter.

Peculiar word: Chronodynamics. Seems like a misnomer, since at first glance, I thought it had something to do with time. Although, of course, it does not.

--Voltaire

red and anti-red, I'm painting the living room in that scheme
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

Rhonda, you misread, it's Chromodynamics with an m, as in chroma, greek for color.
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

(August 2, 2017 at 8:01 pm)vorlon13 Wrote: red and anti-red, I'm painting the living room in that scheme
Careful, red shifting your living room could mean an increasingly long walk from the kitchen.

(August 3, 2017 at 2:17 am)Alex K Wrote: Rhonda, you misread, it's Chromodynamics with an m, as in chroma, greek for color.
Just one unbroken series of successful gestures is all I ask of life. Is that too much?

--Voltaire

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How Cn Gravity Affect Light When Light Has No Mass? Rhondazvous 18 1883 March 2, 2018 at 10:51 pm
Last Post: polymath257
  Do W Bosons get Their Mass from the Higgs Field? Rhondazvous 2 812 February 18, 2018 at 7:09 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  In What Way is the Higgs Boaon Unstable? Rhondazvous 4 748 September 15, 2017 at 3:58 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  Does the Higgs Boson Enforce the CCosmic Speed Limit Rhondazvous 14 3188 July 24, 2017 at 10:40 pm
Last Post: Alex K
  Are Scientists Still Looking for the Higgs Boson? Rhondazvous 24 8314 July 18, 2017 at 4:48 am
Last Post: Alex K
  1964 Penzias/Wilson and Higgs: Coincidence? Confluent Knowledge? Rhondazvous 15 4801 July 8, 2017 at 10:29 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Happy 5th Higgs Day! Alex K 17 5456 July 5, 2017 at 10:38 am
Last Post: Ben Davis
  When Do Quanta Pass Through the Higgs Field? What is a Higgs Boson Before Excitation Rhondazvous 17 4905 June 28, 2017 at 6:13 pm
Last Post: Rhondazvous
  How Many Bosons Would it Take to Create a False Vacuum? Rhondazvous 19 6347 June 19, 2017 at 10:01 am
  Need Info from Alex About the Higgs Boson Rhondazvous 14 4421 June 8, 2017 at 10:15 am