Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 8:24 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Taste and see...
Taste and see...
I grabbed this off the Center for Action and Contemplation Website:

"T. S. Elliot said in the Four Quartets, "[Human]kind cannot bear very much reality." What humans often prefer are highly contrived ways of avoiding the real, the concrete, the physical. We fabricate artificial realities instead, one of which, I'm sad to say, is religion itself. So Jesus brought all of our fancy thinking down to earth, to one concrete place of incarnation--this bread and this cup of wine! "Eat it here, and then see it everywhere," he seems to be saying. (Munch it, chew it, gobble it.) If it's too idealized and pretty, if it's somewhere floating around up in the air, it's probably not the Gospel. We come back, again and again, to this marvelous touchstone of orthodoxy, the Eucharist. The first physical incarnation in the body of Jesus is now continued in space and time in ordinary food."

So how do you all interpret this?
RE: Taste and see...
What's much to interpret there?
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

Not all humans seek to avoid reality. I also think he gives short shrift to the fact that religious people have largely been programmed to hold their particular beliefs.

I interpret it as a quote from a website on Christian mythology.
Nothing more nothing less.
(March 21, 2015 at 1:25 pm)daver49 Wrote: I grabbed this off the Center for Action and Contemplation Website:
If it's too idealized and pretty, if it's somewhere floating around up in the air, it's probably not the Gospel.

I certainly don't see Christianity as a 'pretty' religion, whatever that means. It is an ugly religion headed by a cruel dictator god.
I interpret it as copypasta.

What do I win?
Quote:To know yet to think that one does not know is best; Not to know yet to think that one knows will lead to difficulty.
- Lau Tzu

Join me on atheistforums Slack Cool Shades (pester tibs via pm if you need invite) Tongue

(March 21, 2015 at 1:25 pm)daver49 Wrote: I grabbed this off the Center for Action and Contemplation Website:

"T. S. Elliot said in the Four Quartets, "[Human]kind cannot bear very much reality." What humans often prefer are highly contrived ways of avoiding the real, the concrete, the physical. We fabricate artificial realities instead, one of which, I'm sad to say, is religion itself. So Jesus brought all of our fancy thinking down to earth, to one concrete place of incarnation--this bread and this cup of wine! "Eat it here, and then see it everywhere," he seems to be saying. (Munch it, chew it, gobble it.) If it's too idealized and pretty, if it's somewhere floating around up in the air, it's probably not the Gospel. We come back, again and again, to this marvelous touchstone of orthodoxy, the Eucharist. The first physical incarnation in the body of Jesus is now continued in space and time in ordinary food."

Slimming aid?

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

He started out well in the bold, but then he went full retard.

He's essentially saying, "People are silly for creating false realities...and here's mine."
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
(March 21, 2015 at 3:43 pm)Aoi Magi Wrote: I interpret it as copypasta.

What do I win?

And being true to your quote from Lao Tse, you say that with reservations....right?

You already have what you wanted to win...

(March 21, 2015 at 3:48 pm)downbeatplumb Wrote:

Slimming aid?
In a way, yes!

(March 21, 2015 at 1:52 pm)Alex K Wrote: What's much to interpret there?

Reality.

(March 21, 2015 at 3:21 pm)LostLocke Wrote: I interpret it as a quote from a website on Christian mythology.
Nothing more nothing less.

Happy Belated St. Patrick's day to you! I hope you had a pint or two...
I had three Guinness myself.
To be honest, I am underwhelmed by that quote. Is Eliot presenting that statement as a profound insight into the Eucharist or is this quote meant to give insights into the thinking of a fictional character in a story? (I've never read Eliot, so I have no idea of the context.)

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What value do you see in studying theology in concerns to Christianity? EgoDeath 40 3876 September 8, 2019 at 4:32 pm
Last Post: EgoDeath
  Christians: Can you see why atheists don't buy this stuff? vulcanlogician 49 3946 August 19, 2018 at 8:03 pm
Last Post: vulcanlogician
  What I see in the Bible is different then Jews and Christians. Mystic 8 2598 December 31, 2017 at 7:17 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  How do atheists see Jesus' parables? drfuzzy 92 14444 November 3, 2017 at 2:20 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Let's see how many apologetics take the bait Joods 127 18307 July 16, 2016 at 10:54 pm
Last Post: Foxaèr
  He can see color!! Puh-raise Juh-heezus!!!! drfuzzy 15 2461 May 24, 2016 at 11:01 pm
Last Post: Cato
  Why can't I see the devil? KUSA 43 5719 April 1, 2016 at 1:32 pm
Last Post: robvalue
  Why should people not see this film? Aractus 47 10022 February 18, 2015 at 1:49 pm
Last Post: pgrimes15
  I See Things Nope 17 2877 December 10, 2014 at 3:20 am
Last Post: robvalue
  The most disgusting christian content you will ever see. Zidneya 38 14008 October 2, 2014 at 7:03 pm
Last Post: Zidneya