Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 12:42 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Christians: Can you see why atheists don't buy this stuff?
Christians: Can you see why atheists don't buy this stuff?
It's no secret that I am a fan of Star Trek. My old roommate and I were so familiar with Trek lore, that we could spot incongruities in the canon. When this occurred, we would sometimes whip up an ad hoc explanation to explain any discrepancies that arose. We did this out of a desire that our cherished fictional world remain logically consistent. But we knew (deep down) that the explanation was much simpler than that: there were multiple teams of writers contributing to the Trek canon, and one set of writers didn't always take into account what the others had written.

So it is with the Christian canon. And we see similar maneuvering from Biblical literalists. I offer exhibit A:

Quote:Matthew says that Judas died by hanging. Here is the account in Matthew’s Gospel: "So Judas threw the money into the temple and left. Then he went away and hanged himself. The chief priests picked up the coins and said, ‘It is against the law to put this into the treasury, since it is blood money.’ So they decided to use the money to buy the potter's field as a burial place for foreigners. That is why it has been called the Field of Blood to this day" (). 

Luke says that Judas fell into a field and that his body ruptured. Here is the account in Acts: "With the reward he got for his wickedness, Judas bought a field; there he fell headlong, his body burst open and all his intestines spilled out. Everyone in Jerusalem heard about this, so they called that field in their language Akeldama, that is, Field of Blood" ().

Which account is correct? Did Judas die by hanging, or did he die by falling? Or are both true? ...

Concerning how Judas died, here is a simple reconciliation of the facts: Judas hanged himself in the potter’s field (Matthew 27:5), and that is how he died. Then, after his body had begun to decay and bloat, the rope broke, or the branch of the tree he was using broke, and his body fell, bursting open on the land of the potter’s field (). Note that Luke does not say that Judas died from the fall, only that his body fell. The Acts passage presumes Judas's hanging, as a man falling down in a field does not normally result in his body bursting open. Only decomposition and a fall from a height could cause a body to burst open. So Matthew mentions the actual cause of death, and Luke focuses more on the horror surrounding it. 

https://www.gotquestions.org/Judas-die.html

Anyone familiar with mythology knows that multiple stories often arise concerning gods and heroes. Athena and Kali have multiple origin stories, for instance.

My question to theists is: doesn't the reasoning quoted above seem the slightest bit fishy to you? Would you at least admit that those who don't already presuppose Biblical inerrancy have good reason to call BS on this? Do you defend the interpretation offered by gotquestions.org?
RE: Christians: Can you see why atheists don't buy this stuff?
M*A*S*H had similar inconsistencies. In early episodes, Hawkeye's mother was still alive. Later, she had died when he was a child. Klinger had blood group A (iirc) in one episode, then AB- in a later one (to Major Winchester's chagrin). Colonel Blake's wife was called Mildred initially, then Lorraine several episodes later. Mildred then got transplanted onto Colonel Potter. And good luck trying to come up with a consistent timeline - the whole series takes place between some time after the start of the war in 1950 to June 1953, yet certain first-season episodes indicate that the 4077th had been in situ for at least a year. Colonel Potter and BJ Hunnicut arrive in late September 1952, despite a much later episode showing them already there throughout 1951.

The reason should be obvious. Many writers working over many years. There are more parallels than merely the 38th.
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
I love M*A*S*H. Best series ever. It's even better than Trek.
I'll try to get the wife back on the boards for a no bullshit explanation of how a person works out those discrepancies.  Long story short...sane people are fine with the writers of an anthology fudging the details between them.

No one -has- to tie their scrotum into a knot over it..that's a personal choice they make.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
I think that this is certainly one of the more understandable and reasonable of the contradictions pointed to by skeptics.  I can also understand your criticism of the explanations given. I also wouldn't expect a non-believer, to believe in Biblical inerrancy. When I first became a Christian, I was quite a liberal one, and didn't hold to inerrancy, and it is not necessary to believe the Gospel.  Even now, while I do believe in inerrancy, I don't hang my hat on it, and if my views changed (on inerrancy), I would still believe the Gospels, even as just a mere human account with all our flaws and inadequacies.

So I can see your point, and I don't know if the explanations given are that good for these two accounts of Judas's fate.  It's one of those things, that I simply hold in tension.  Some of them even get quite extravagant detailing that perhaps the tree was next to a cliff and he fell after hanging himself.  I also wonder, what type of fall it would take (in a field) to burst asunder in the middle, with ones bowels gushing out.  This seems like an odd description to make up, and the speculation does somewhat account for this (even if some are a little wild).  Then we have the following commentary to consider

Quote:Polhill in his Acts commentary [92n] notes that the phrase translated "becoming headlong" (prenes genomenos -- translated as "falling headlong" in the KJV, but literally being "becoming headlong" as shown in Green's Interlinear translation, 366) is a mere transcription error away from being "becoming swollen" (presthes genomenos). The latter may well be what was originally written, and as such might describe Judas' body swelling up after hanging for a while. This reading is found in later Syriac, Georgian and Armenian mss., though perhaps as an attempt at textual criticism of the sort we are doing. 
Tektonics.org
With a little study, it also seems that the ancient commentary (~4th century) has a number of different reconciliations and traditions for Judas's death and these two tellings of it. Qutie a few say he was removed from the noose, before dying, and died as stated in the account of Acts some time later. 
Some commentaries say that Matthew was pointing to a type, and was just saying that Judas committed suicide.  Which would certainly be consistent with his writing. And yet others make note of the audience stating that the Jews would relate more to being hung from a tree (cursed) while the gentiles in Luke's audience had seen suicide as honorable in some circumstances and focused more on the gruesome aftermath (relating to the answer you found). 
So I think that it could be two separate focus's of the same account.   I can also see (in this case) why you might just think they are telling what they heard and one or both is incorrect.  I don't advocate for those getting into a lot of unnecessary detail about in number of things.  Both accounts are quite brief in the scriptures to go into much speculation.  And while I can see your side here as well, I don't think that it is necessarily a contradiction; especially with the extent that some go to find contradictions in every nook and cranny (perhaps I have become numb to these claims to get too excited).  In any case it is a minor detail, concerning the scriptures and I don't think that it makes that big of difference either way.
It is said that an argument is what convinces reasonable men and a proof is what it takes to convince even an unreasonable man.  - Alexander Vilenkin
If I am shown my error, I will be the first to throw my books into the fire.  - Martin Luther
(August 14, 2018 at 10:48 pm)vulcanlogician Wrote: I love M*A*S*H. Best series ever. It's even better than Trek.

⚫⚫
Dying to live, living to die.
(August 14, 2018 at 10:48 pm)vulcanlogician Wrote: I love M*A*S*H. Best series ever. It's even better than Trek.

MASH was brilliant 

It was funny when it needed to be and soul destroying when it had to be . That episode with Hawkeye and  the bus and the baby ......Still have not gotten over that.

(August 14, 2018 at 10:34 pm)Cyberman Wrote: M*A*S*H had similar inconsistencies. In early episodes, Hawkeye's mother was still alive. Later, she had died when he was a child. Klinger had blood group A (iirc) in one episode, then AB- in a later one (to Major Winchester's chagrin). Colonel Blake's wife was called Mildred initially, then Lorraine several episodes later. Mildred then got transplanted onto Colonel Potter. And good luck trying to come up with a consistent timeline - the whole series takes place between some time after the start of the war in 1950 to June 1953, yet certain first-season episodes indicate that the 4077th had been in situ for at least a year. Colonel Potter and BJ Hunnicut arrive in late September 1952, despite a much later episode showing them already there throughout 1951.

The reason should be obvious. Many writers working over many years. There are more parallels than merely the 38th.
True they just count on us being so interrupter with the story we overlook little details like that .
Seek strength, not to be greater than my brother, but to fight my greatest enemy -- myself.

Inuit Proverb

(August 14, 2018 at 11:45 pm)The Valkyrie Wrote:

⚫⚫

I see two dots. Is that what you meant to put, or are those phone emojis?
(August 15, 2018 at 12:00 am)vulcanlogician Wrote:
(August 14, 2018 at 11:45 pm)The Valkyrie Wrote: ⚫⚫

I see two dots. Is that what you meant to put, or are those phone emojis?

You've been black balled!

Hmph!
Dying to live, living to die.
(August 15, 2018 at 12:01 am)The Valkyrie Wrote:
(August 15, 2018 at 12:00 am)vulcanlogician Wrote: I see two dots. Is that what you meant to put, or are those phone emojis?

You've been black balled!

Hmph!

I'd rather be black balled than blue balled Wink

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What they don't teach you in Sunday School LinuxGal 19 1226 September 25, 2023 at 9:19 pm
Last Post: brewer
  [Serious] For former Christians only, why did you leave your faith? Jehanne 159 13100 January 16, 2023 at 7:36 am
Last Post: h4ym4n
  Why you can't find God MilesAbbott81 109 9380 September 19, 2022 at 1:41 pm
Last Post: Ranjr
  questions Christians can't answer Fake Messiah 23 2826 October 15, 2019 at 6:27 pm
Last Post: Acrobat
  What value do you see in studying theology in concerns to Christianity? EgoDeath 40 3860 September 8, 2019 at 4:32 pm
Last Post: EgoDeath
  Christians worship Satan and don't even know it rado84 18 1774 April 15, 2019 at 8:29 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Christians vs Christians (yec) Fake Messiah 52 7807 January 31, 2019 at 2:08 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  C'mon, Look At All This Stuff That's Real YahwehIsTheWay 66 12671 December 28, 2018 at 9:38 pm
Last Post: Jehanne
  Why are Christians so full of hate? I_am_not_mafia 183 17575 October 18, 2018 at 7:50 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Another reason why Christians go to church Alexmahone 40 4775 August 20, 2018 at 10:35 am
Last Post: Cod